Is a year off from WDW in order???

Some of the worst tourist behavior I have ever seen was on a Royal Caribbean cruise - so if that bothers you, you pretty much can't go anywhere with tourists. ;)

We never go every year. Every 3-4, anymore than that and we would be bored.

Agree. My plan is to try for a trip to WDW every 3 years (we did a last minute-trip to see the Osbourne Lights before they ended, but that was the exception to the plan). Not judging anyone who goes every year or has an annual pass, but I feel like it would be less special to my boys if they got to go more frequently. We're going this October then probably not again until Star Wars land opens. I might try for a quick visit to Universal before then if my eldest DS gets into Harry Potter.

My friends and I were out at Disneyland in July and made the comment that guests were much better behaved. We guessed because it's more of a local crowd than at WDW, more laid back.

I'm glad to hear you say that! I work in center city Philadelphia and spend most of my time around touristy areas (i.e. Independence Hall and running the Art Museum steps) and don't normally have even the slightest issue with people, but in WDW guest behavior works my nerves quite a bit!

How is being stuck on a boat on the ocean going to improve your ability to get away from bad guest behavior? It's not just at WDW, you know, and if the behavior of others in a theme park bothers you, how would it be if you were in a more confined space with the same people? I suggest renting a house someplace instead, maybe on a lake on or on the seashore?
You obviously don't care for cruises. Guest behavior tends to be less of an issue on Disney cruises as there are few lines, less time pressure, and few sizable groups of teens relative to WDW. It's even more of a family atmosphere on Disney cruises than at the parks, and customer service is better. People on average also pay more for a Disney cruise than for a parks trip, and having made a significant financial investment in the vacation tends to improve guest behavior to an extent- less rowdiness & fewer meltdowns.

Human behavior manifests everywhere, and you'll get rudeness & rowdiness on a lake or beach, too.

Last edited:
I would like to first start by saying that I love WDW and have been on 8 separate occasions from my teens up till this August. I think it is an absolutely beautiful place and look forward to every trip (we go about every year).

We are thinking about going next August (late August seems to work at well); and due to my own budgetary reasons I am starting very preliminary planning now. However, the planning has gotten seemingly overwhelming, and we had several serious customer service issues last trip. My mother received calls from Guest Relations three times as a result of concerns. For instance one morning our magic bands weren't working and it took one hour to get into Typhoon Lagoon, so we were given two days of three extra fast passes. While there was excellent guest recovery, there were still problems and many ride breakdowns.

Also, guest behavior has seriously deteriorated.

However, on the positive end of things we generally stay at the AKL and love it; and always have a trip filled with restaurants we universally love and rides we universally love.

But due to the issues above, I am thinking this year a Royal Caribbean cruise or stay in the Keys might be a better option.

Is a year break from Disney in order, or should I accentuate the positive? WDW is a highlight and something I look forward to every year, but it seems I could have just as nice a vacation for perhaps less money somewhere else.

Please don't hold back with thoughts and feedback. I keep things pretty modest during the year so I can have a really nice vacation.

We never do the same type of vacation twice in a row. We like Disney, but also do cruises and all inclusives. We definitely need variety. I can’t imagine seeing the same thing over and over? First world problems I guess. But in my opinion definitely try something else... check out Atlantis in the Bahamas or some of the Nickelodeon all inclusive resorts. The one in Punta Cana is awesome. So is Royal Caribbean for family cruises... look at the Oasis, Allure, or Harmony of the seas.

There open-minded!

My mother hates to fly (we're in Pennsylvania), but anything from the NE or FL would probably work. It varies depending who goes, but the planning and major decision making pretty much comes down to either my mother or I.
Check out some of the cruise ships that leave from Baltimore or New York, like Anthem of the seas, or the Norwegian Breakaway. We are from Ohio and don’t have to fly to either port. Both go to Bermuda, the most beautiful place on earth :)

Maybe a trip to DL like someone else suggested - but yeah, the guest behavior will still likely be the same. There will always be inconsiderate people out there. My way of dealing with it is to now take Labor Day week trips. So much less crowded which makes it so much more fun! Less time waiting in lines and fewer annoying people to deal with = win, win!

Guest behavior in Disneyland is astounding!! Maybe he should go and then he will appreciate guests in Florida more. :thumbsup2 :teeth:

I never know how people know who is and isn't a local at Disneyland, but I have had the most maddening experiences at Disneyland. From a cm not listening to me, to just trying to get OUT before fireworks I didn't want to see but being caught in a sea of swarming humanity who couldn't recognize that just bc I don't have a stroller doesn't mean I don't want to stick with my kid, to being full on bodychecked by a grown man (and this is when I was having awful shoulder problems and he hit me in that side)... I've had negative things at wdw too, but not like in Anaheim.

Love Royal cruises. Disney is fine but way too expensive. And if it gets to be too much you can go back to your stateroom.

Of course if your not 'feeling it' go somewhere else ! Why plan/pay for something your not excited about ? Outside of this board I think you will find very few people go to Disney every year (or multiple times a year).

Heck, this last trip was the first time have gone in successive years and talked myself into getting Annual Passes for another trip.. but am questioning my decision on that. This years trip we were able to fill in the things we missed last time and knew what rides my son didn't want to go on that we could skip. So, I don't know that another trip is going to be THAT exciting. We will do it since locked in now... but after that it will probably be a while until go back. (Star Wars Land will be tempting, but will defiantly wait until the hype calms down a bit.) Will defiantly be looking to go somewhere else after.

You obviously don't care for cruises. Guest behavior tends to be less of an issue on Disney cruises as there are few lines, less time pressure, and few sizable groups of teens relative to WDW. It's even more of a family atmosphere on Disney cruises than at the parks, and customer service is better. People on average also pay more for a Disney cruise than for a parks trip, and having made a significant financial investment in the vacation tends to improve guest behavior to an extent- less rowdiness & fewer meltdowns.

Human behavior manifests everywhere, and you'll get rudeness & rowdiness on a lake or beach, too.

That's quite a leap you took! I've been cruising. The OP stated a Carnival Cruise, not a Disney one, BTW.

I've found them to be crowded, especially on shore, when tons of ships hit small (now damaged) Caribbean ports. Crowds are crowds wherever you go - that's why I suggested renting a place where you won't expect a crowd of Disney/cruise size.

We don't do Disney every year, and I have no real desire to. We go every 2-3 years and that timing is perfect for us. In between Disney trips we do weeks at the beach and visit various cities/towns. For example Houston, DC, Williamsburg. This provides us and our kids with a wide variety of experiences.

That's quite a leap you took! I've been cruising. The OP stated a Carnival Cruise, not a Disney one, BTW.

I've found them to be crowded, especially on shore, when tons of ships hit small (now damaged) Caribbean ports. Crowds are crowds wherever you go - that's why I suggested renting a place where you won't expect a crowd of Disney/cruise size.
He stated RCCL, ftr.

FWIW, after four years in a row at Disney World, we took our kids on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We knew they would enjoy it, but weren't sure if it could take the place of Disney. Well, after the cruise we asked them is they liked Disney or cruising better. They couldn't decide. They absolutely love them both (and they should :) )So now we mix it up. Cruise or Disney.

After reading your original post, yes, I personally would recommend a week long (or more) Royal Caribbean cruise. It expands your kids horizons, and you know "Absence makes the heart grow fonder". Disney world will be there if you decide to go back after the cruise.

Dan

Taking a year off from Disney sounds like my own personal nightmare but.....whatevs.

You do you.

I'm glad to hear you say that! I work in center city Philadelphia and spend most of my time around touristy areas (i.e. Independence Hall and running the Art Museum steps) and don't normally have even the slightest issue with people, but in WDW guest behavior works my nerves quite a bit!

Just got back from a week trip and by the end was getting very fed up with people lol. From outside Philly here and agree the people in the city are nothing like Disney world guest behavior.

WDW is coming up on its 46th anniversary in October and I have been there in 40 of those 46 years. However, over the last 10 years or so, the most enjoyable times I have had have come after a year or two of taking a break.

Been going since...well, for a loooooooooong time. Too many reasons why to explain here but in 2014 we decided to give WDW a break. Tentative plan is to maybe revisit in 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter