Is Disney getting too disgusting to visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenP64

Mouseketeer
With things like these becoming a monthly/weekly occurence:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0191108-nslg5f4vwbgz5mdamxx4243giu-story.htmlhttps://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0191105-z65ex42y3bdgxd2crrujc6sbtu-story.htmldoes anyone else feel like Disney is just not a place you want to visit anymore, subject your children to anymore, subject yourself to anymore? I love Disney so much that it's hard to give it up, but it's feeling like it's just a quagmire of perverts. And the ones who were just arrested...might they be the ones who do security checks & barge into your room while you're dressing or in the bathroom? It already felt like an invasion of privacy (though it's easy to understand why they need checks to protect the children from what's going on there), but now it has the added dimension that the perverts are the ones forcing themselves into your room. I would have thought having a Disney employee check my room was safe enough, but now I have to wonder. And we're paying thousands for our stay here...with hundreds more toward fees, parking & otherwise. I'm starting to worry about my mental health to even want to go here!

Keep in mind that we're hearing about such things more now than we did thirty, and even ten, years ago. The combined impact of social media and the efforts to remove the stigma of victimization account for a good amount of additional visibility to the dark underbelly of even the happiest place on earth.

Last edited:
Visitor-wise the parks are just a reflection of societal norms, well perhaps related to a certain ‘wealth’ bracket and with a US bias. CM-wise, I presume that WDW as an employer carries out criminal records checks, so arguably visitors should be safer at WDW than many other venues where the general public gathers. Headlines are headlines to draw readers in, nothing more.

With things like these becoming a monthly/weekly occurence:
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0191108-nslg5f4vwbgz5mdamxx4243giu-story.htmlhttps://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...0191105-z65ex42y3bdgxd2crrujc6sbtu-story.htmldoes anyone else feel like Disney is just not a place you want to visit anymore, subject your children to anymore, subject yourself to anymore? I love Disney so much that it's hard to give it up, but it's feeling like it's just a quagmire of perverts. And the ones who were just arrested...might they be the ones who do security checks & barge into your room while you're dressing or in the bathroom? It already felt like an invasion of privacy (though it's easy to understand why they need checks to protect the children from what's going on there), but now it has the added dimension that the perverts are the ones forcing themselves into your room. I would have thought having a Disney employee check my room was safe enough, but now I have to wonder. And we're paying thousands for our stay here...with hundreds more toward fees, parking & otherwise. I'm starting to worry about my mental health to even want to go here!

I would never think Disney is getting too disgusting to visit based on those two stories.

Perverts have always been around everywhere.

I’m thankful every time they are caught at Disney, or anywhere around the world.

In answer to your original question, no. While these incidents are upsetting, and it is a communal responsibility to prevent anyone being endangered, Disney is basically a magnet for people hoping to perpetrate such things. It always has been.

What should concern people is the removal of actual humans taking pictures with characters and other such measures which reduce points of vulnerability.

Beyond that, it is unlikely that the risk is higher than it ever has been, Disney is not a place to assume you, or your children are safe, whether it be from predation, or pickpocketing, or other criminal activity which is higher in places where a) large numbers of potentially less vigilant people congregate, and b) where are large number of those people are children.

The sad fact is, you want to protect your kids, then you'll be protecting them from people you know in your every day life; in 90% of abuse cases, the kid knows the perp. Their teachers, the people related to them, the people coming in and out of your house, and the people who you drop your kid off with.

does anyone else feel like Disney is just not a place you want to visit anymore,
Good grief. You've fallen for today's sensational news practices. Did anybody really think that things like that couldn't happen at Disney and more so than outside the "bubble"?

No, none of those sensationalized news reports would cause me not to visit any more.

If you are so worried about your mental health and the money you spend by going to Disney then don't go. Your choice.
It's unfortunate that there are people like this in the world, but there are and it's not just not Disney.

Keep in mind that we're hearing about such things more now than we did thirty, and even ten, years ago. The combined impact of social media and the efforts to remove the stigma of victimization account for a good amount of additional visibility to the dark underbelly of even the happiest place on earth.
This totally. In the '70s and '80s, pre-internet, pre-social media, WDW kept a LOT hidden - and the media seemed to cooperate. You never heard about anything happening - not even minor accidents or people getting ill in the parks....but you can be sure a lot of stuff did happen. Nowadays, there's a lot more transparency.

does anyone else feel like Disney is just not a place you want to visit anymore, subject your children to anymore, subject yourself to anymore? I love Disney so much that it's hard to give it up, but it's feeling like it's just a quagmire of perverts. And the ones who were just arrested...might they be the ones who do security checks & barge into your room while you're dressing or in the bathroom? It already felt like an invasion of privacy (though it's easy to understand why they need checks to protect the children from what's going on there), but now it has the added dimension that the perverts are the ones forcing themselves into your room.

I’m not one of the Disney defenders, but I think your post is unfair to CMs. I don’t think WDW is a “quagmire of perverts,” but a group of folks trying to make a living like most of the rest of us. Are there a few “perverts” working and visiting WDW? Sure, but there are also a few teaching school, leading scout troops, working with youth groups, coaching sports, and on and on. So, your options are to educate your family on how to try to avoid and manage difficult situations or hide them from the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!