Is Disney responsible for guest safety at DVC resorts . . . They don't think they are at Disney Springs . . . Come on Disney have some class

I never understand why folks make their point with a parade of horribles. Disney makes a small mistake and someone gets a gajillion dollars?! I assume Disney has better lawyers than that - DVC sure does.
Pot, meet kettle. You literally posted on this thread that Disney won't being cleaning high traffic areas for two weeks and that Disney won't be cleaning because they have an indemnification policy in place. Those are your own "parade of horribles". You asked people's thoughts and, up until this point, literally no one has agreed with you. It actually makes me feel content to see that there are so many people who understand the idea of personal responsibility.

Walt Disney built the place as a response to how amusement parks were run. Before Disneyland amusement parks were dirty classless affairs. I believe the reason people love Disney so much is because it is not like other places; that it's not run like other businesses.

I do see your point, but I think we can expect something a little more from Disney. Something more then it's on you. We all get it that we must take some responsibility but this disclaimer goes too far.
Re-read the entire first paragraph of your post above. So then why would you think Disney wouldn't do everything in their power to prevent the spread of COVID in their parks/resorts? The reason for the disclaimer is because they know their parks/resorts aren't immune to the virus sneaking in. Not sure why you can't see that.

Yes, I read it and yes, I absolutely believe they did what I consider to be appropriate measures of safety with guests taking responsibility for their own choices and actions. And, no, those pictures didn’t bother me at all because while this is a serious health concern, I don’t agree the level of shut down we have experienced was close to necessary.

I stand by my opinion that in this day and age with the number of people out there who think they have no level of responsibility and that it’s up to Disney or any other company to guarantee their safety above and beyond what is reasonable, this notion is not only needed and wise. But, IMO is not in anyway classless.

Disney can not control all the guests someone will be around and without this, I guarantee you there would be people who made it a huge issue if they got sick.

The good thing is we get to feel differently and on this point, Disney did the best thing they should have to ensure people go knowing full well a theme park could be a risk, no matter the safety put in place.

Like has been stated, if one believes this statement bothers someone, they have to decide to what degree and whether or not it changes their decision to support them.

Honestly, I have no idea why anyone would even see this as an issue at all.
I have not seen one other person on this thread agree that the risk policy is an issue. Only the OP thinks it's an issue.

I think Disney is self insured. Sorry, Did not see it was stated earlier

Just an FYI - many large companies do self insure. Most of them will retain the liability risk for the first $x and then buy excess liability insurance to cap their out of pocket costs. Those excess carriers will have their own requirements for providing coverage to a company like Disney.

I don't expect Disney to take responsibility for anyone's behavior except their own. I do expect them not to post classless sandwich-board waivers at the parks and resorts. I expect them to have a better presentation.
You have it completely backwards. Actually, Disney's posting of waivers shows how responsible they are. They want to make sure every single person entering is 100% aware of the risks of COVID and that there is a chance of contracting it in public places, even their parks. They aren't trying to hide the risks and say "come on in...all is good". They want to make sure people are making the decision to visit their properties armed with all the info. That is how responsible businesses operate.

I respectfully disagree with the OP, but I do think folks are starting to pile on a bit.
I also think many are slightly misunderstanding his point.

I think somewhere along the way my objection has been misconstrued.

I don't object to a warning and I don't object to being responsible for myself. I object to the classless way in which it is being done.

Disney is disclaiming all risks related to COVID-19. Imagine if Disney disclaimed all risks for anyone entering their park for anything. That would mean that a broken ride that hurts or kills someone is no problem. I believe that Disney is trying to bark people into not suing if something goes wrong. Which is classless. Under Florida law they cannot disclaim all liability - they know that.

The disclaimer is there so that people take responsibility for themselves. There is nothing "classless" about providing a warning like this. How would you like to see the warning worded? Disney cannot possibly know who has COVID-19 but is asymptomatic. It is therefore unrealistic to expect them or any other company to be held responsible if other quests become infected. Disclaimer aside, if Disney or any other company does anything that is negligent, they can be held liable in a court. For this to happen, I would expect it to be something like knowing a cast member has or is suspected to have COVID and letting them work with other CMs and the public anyway.

I respectfully disagree with the OP, but I do think folks are starting to pile on a bit.
I finally got to the end of this thread. I don't think people are piling on. Just a lot of different posters all with the same thoughts on the original question posed by the OP. Literally everyone disagreeing with the OP might feel like piling on, but it's not. It's just showing that everyone feels the same. I actually liked seeing so many people voicing predominantly the same points....we are all responsible for our own actions.

I don't mind the piling on but I appreciate your sentiment. I hope everyone is enjoying responding to the post - it certainly seems DVCSunDevil did(does).

A few things that have surprised me by the responses:

1. Respondents seemed to think that I believed that folks weren't personally responsible for going to the parks. Of course we are all responsible for ourselves.
2. People were not clear that I thought the wording of Disney's sign was the issue. I am fine with Disney letting me know that I am responsible for myself; its the phrasing. It just seemed down market to me. These are the guys that just brought us a $1 billion new attraction and their sandwich-board disclaimer reads like the waiver I sign at the go-cart track. Again, its the wording not the sentiment. And for those that don't think things like presentation are important answer this - why is everyone you see in any Disney ad or productions so good-looking?
3. Many many people said that if I don't like it (or don't like something about Disney) that I did not have to go. As if Disney was sacrosanct and no criticism would be tolerated. This is ironic given that Pete Werner often complains or rants (rightfully) about Disney and he sponsors this site.

I hope everyone has fun responding and reading. Enjoy your day!

I have an issue with Disney responsibility for protecting their members.
I have 230 of 2018 points I saved for a trip this July. I was told if I cancel I will be forced to put my points in RCI. RCI offerings are not as superior to Disney timeshare.
So if I don't cancel I will be forced to go so I do not lose my points.
I am 70 so I am in that high risk category.
I paid for my Disney experience and will now be cheated out if I don't go.
So if I get sick would'nt this be on them?
I do know that this is no fault of mine, but do thing Disney should come up with a better solution do you think?

2. People were not clear that I thought the wording of Disney's sign was the issue.

I guess I don't understand the issue with the wording and personally I have no issues with it. My thoughts are that it has to be clear and short enough to read and understand easily if it's on a sign you're probably reading on the go, so it's not really the place for pretty flowery language that takes a while to understand, and it also should be straightforward and official enough to be taken seriously. What wording would be preferable?

I guess I don't understand the issue with the wording and personally I have no issues with it. My thoughts are that it has to be clear and short enough to read and understand easily if it's on a sign you're probably reading on the go, so it's not really the place for pretty flowery language that takes a while to understand, and it also should be straightforward and official enough to be taken seriously. What wording would be preferable?
Thank you for asking such a great question.

If I were the author instead of saying that "you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19" they could have said "you accept the risk of exposure to COVID-19." This may seem like a small difference but I think it is meaningful. Asking "please" or saying "thank you" is a small difference and Disney is full of small differences. The problem with the language that Disney provided is their attempt at an all encompassing waiver of liability" "voluntarily assume all risks." Also, it is doubtful that such an expansive waiver is even lawful in Florida. It just seems like a petty response.

Yes, we all understand that we are at risk by being outside our homes. I don't think Disney needs to try to dissuade people from suing with silliness like this. People are going to sue regardless. It just seemed petty and classless to me. Why isn't there a sign at the entrance to every park that says: "It's all up to you now, we've done our best. If anything happens here that hurts you or you don't like you can forget about suing us. Food poisoning - not our problem, Hurt on a ride - not our problem. Fall down on hazard or get hit by a firework not our problem. By being at a Disney Park you agree to pay us money and assume all risk. Have a Magical Day." The language struck me as being like this.

I wanted to explain myself since you asked the question so nicely but I don't think folks really care about the answer or the optics of all this. Hopefully this thread will die a death of natural causes or the moderator will delete it.

Thank you for asking such a great question.

If I were the author instead of saying that "you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19" they could have said "you accept the risk of exposure to COVID-19." This may seem like a small difference but I think it is meaningful. Asking "please" or saying "thank you" is a small difference and Disney is full of small differences. The problem with the language that Disney provided is their attempt at an all encompassing waiver of liability" "voluntarily assume all risks." Also, it is doubtful that such an expansive waiver is even lawful in Florida. It just seems like a petty response.

Yes, we all understand that we are at risk by being outside our homes. I don't think Disney needs to try to dissuade people from suing with silliness like this. People are going to sue regardless. It just seemed petty and classless to me. Why isn't there a sign at the entrance to every park that says: "It's all up to you now, we've done our best. If anything happens here that hurts you or you don't like you can forget about suing us. Food poisoning - not our problem, Hurt on a ride - not our problem. Fall down on hazard or get hit by a firework not our problem. By being at a Disney Park you agree to pay us money and assume all risk. Have a Magical Day." The language struck me as being like this.

I wanted to explain myself since you asked the question so nicely but I don't think folks really care about the answer or the optics of all this. Hopefully this thread will die a death of natural causes or the moderator will delete it.

I think that people do care and just don’t agree it’s bad optics, But, I guess for those that do, it okay.

If I were the author instead of saying that "you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19" they could have said "you accept the risk of exposure to COVID-19." This may seem like a small difference but I think it is meaningful
No. "Voluntarily" is necessary because without it, one could claim they were forced o visit against tbeir will, and sue.

Fair (and reasonable point) but if the risk of litigation is always there then I do argue that its "third-rate" to have this policy how about . . .

"Come on folks, there's a virus about. Be safe and do what's in everyone's best interest. We can't be responsible for everything but we'll do our best. If you get hit by a virus while you're here then don't sue us. This is fair warning." :)

No. "Voluntarily" is necessary because without it, one could claim they were forced o visit against tbeir will, and sue.

I can hear a DVC owner say they were forced to go because they weren’t allowed to move points far enough into the future.

World we live in..

On some forums, there are already people saying that they will take their masks off at restaurants then "lose" them and not put them back on, despite Disney wanting everyone to mask when not dining. So there is also that.

It's this same segment of society that believes wearing a mask is a sign of being weak and accepting basic rights being violated. In actuality, it's symbolic of caring more about the person next to you than yourself.

I've just been eatin' my popcorn for the past few days since this post started ! "Hopefully this thread will die a death of natural causes" from OP. Hopefully this post lives on !

It's this same segment of society that believes wearing a mask is a sign of being weak and accepting basic rights being violated. In actuality, it's symbolic of caring more about the person next to you than yourself.
I have to be honest.... I do care about myself more than the non family person next to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!