Is Hollywood and Vine still pretty terrible?

toontoy

Mouseketeer
I just booked a trip to Disneyworld for this fall. We are planning on doing the fantasmic package and right now have Hollywood and vine booked. We thought it would be fun with the characters, we also have chef mickey's booked. I am wondering if the food is better than it was on out last trip in 2010? It was pretty bad then, but am thinking it should be better now. Whats everyone's thoughts, keep or just go with Mama Melrose?

We ate there this past November. Based on our experience the food was just mediocre. On the other hand the character interaction was good.

We had a PPO breakfast there in May and the food was "eh". Definitely our least favorite meal of the week. We enjoyed Chef Mickey way more. That said, I'd still book it again for the Jedi Training signup advantage.

We had a PPO breakfast there in May and the food was "eh". Definitely our least favorite meal of the week. We enjoyed Chef Mickey way more. That said, I'd still book it again for the Jedi Training signup advantage.

this is interesting....do you get in early and then get to be the first in line? how does this work. we are going in december and am very interested in working this angle

We've eaten there for breakfast and dinner a few times and enjoyed all the meals! Had good service and fresh food each time.

I go on almost every trip. I went in 2010 and a few times since then. The food is the same. I like it, but if you didnt, then you still wont.

Just curious on why you think the food should be better by now?

There are a lot of Mama Melrose fans out there, but I have never had a good experience there (OK, aside from the time we did the backstage magic tour in the 90s and some of the street characters had lunch with us - the interaction with them made it good). My experience in Dec 2015 was so bad I have not been back. Waited almost an hour past ADR time to be seated, and our server was never around and surly when she did stop by. We had done H&V 2 evenings before that and it was a much more enjoyable experience, both food and service wise.

We did breakfast in 2010 for the characters. The food was fine, nothing special but it was good. This time we are doing dinner, also for the characters. Hoping for a slightly less crowded and chaotic character meal with Minnie and friends since it has a bad reputation. I choose it for the characters, not for the food experience.

They allow you to sign up for Jedi Training before breakfast. So we signed up super fast and had our choice of times. Then we ate breakfast & went about our day.
Thank you! Quick question - did you have breakfast before opening and if os, how much earlier....and sorry to hijack the thread.

Thank you! Quick question - did you have breakfast before opening and if os, how much earlier....and sorry to hijack the thread.

It would depend on your reservation time. Our reservation was for 8:10. We got let in the park at 7:55, went right to Jedi Training sign-up, then waited outside the restaurant until we were called. We were done by 9, but we were behind the rope drop crowd.

We actually liked H&V better than HBD (heresy I know, lol)
We've only gone during Minnie holiday party time, so I don't know if that makes a difference...
Last 2 times at HBD were disappointing. Dinner salad was really really tiny, with not great service.

We did Minnie's Seasonal Dine with the Fantasmic package earlier this month and it was fine. The food was not the best we had all week but it was not bad by any stretch. It was all just okay but they had a wide variety which was nice. One thing that did bum me out a bit was that when we had breakfast there back in 2014 they had a big chocolate fountain and tons of chocolate dipped fruits and sweets on the dessert buffet area but that seems to be gone now.

H & V is one of my new favorites. Our first experience with it, several years ago, was awful and I vowed never again. But we just re-visited in March and it was great. The characters were amazing. The healthy food options were many and delicious. ...and there was this Mongolian beef that, for some reason, became my new best friend! I'm not a big dessert person, but the options were great....something for everyone. Gotta say, Miss Minnie is putting on a fine spread for us lately.

I like the idea of seasonal clothing on the characters. I bet their costumes are adorable looking.

But after reading so many bad reviews over the years and the high price, I just can’t bring myself to try it.

I’m glad to see it has happy guests. I think it’s a good use of a dining credit and would book it if I were on the DDP.

I like the idea of seasonal clothing on the characters. I bet their costumes are adorable looking.

But after reading so many bad reviews over the years and the high price, I just can’t bring myself to try it.

I’m glad to see it has happy guests. I think it’s a good use of a dining credit and would book it if I were on the DDP.

This exactly. We were on the DDP this trip so using a dining credit didn't feel as painful as paying the set price for the meal. It was a large family trip and my cousin could not get over how much higher the tip was at H&V compared to Tutto Italia where we ate the night before because he could not grasp that if we paid out of pocket H&V would have cost more based on the quality of the food at the two places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!