Is it difficult to rent our dvc points

Jerry5788

Mouseketeer
I am looking at a plan but there are too many points for me to use.

Is it difficult in people’s experienced to rent them out personally?

The two big brokers who sell them is it pretty reliant/certain that they sell?

I am looking at a plan but there are too many points for me to use.

Is it difficult in people’s experienced to rent them out personally?

The two big brokers who sell them is it pretty reliant/certain that they sell?
I've never had a problem renting my points thru any of the brokers. The points usually rent quickly because I own at popular resorts (VGF and BWV). They pay quickly and provide a rental agreement. In all of the years of those brokers being in business, I have not read about an owner being stuck with a bill because a renter damaged the villa or skipped out on Disney without paying charges made to their room account.

Personally, I would not purchase a contract with more points than I think I could use. Renting is fine when you find yourself with a glut of points every once in a while but it's not as if you're going to turn a profit by going thru a broker to rent your points. You basically recover your costs. The right contract will eventually come on the market if you are patient.

Personally, I would not purchase a contract with more points than I think I could use. Renting is fine when you find yourself with a glut of points every once in a while but it's not as if you're going to turn a profit by going thru a broker to rent your points. You basically recover your costs. The right contract will eventually come on the market if you are patient.
I agree. While I haven't had a problem renting out our SSR points I would not intentionally buy a contract too large assuming you will be able to rent out the extra. Counter intuitively, if you decide to do that then you will want to go big. If you regularly have 50 extra points a year you might have trouble finding takers. But if you have 400 extra every year you will have no problem renting it out, especially through a broker. All that aside, unless you see yourself using the extra points at some time in the not-too-distant-future then I would pass on this contract.

Thanks it’s more because I plan to go every other year. And my parents will only come every fourth so expect to have extra

Plus this contract is loaded and I already rented points for my trip this UY

If the rental market stays strong, you probably won't have problem renting out your surplus of points on an annual basis. However, who knows how the rental market will look like 10 years from now when your contract is 25+ years. It's a risk only you know if it's worth taking.

LAX

Keep in mind that most brokers don't want to handle rentals where you have less than 75 or 100 points to rent. If your "surplus" points are less than that, you'll have to rent them yourself (on disboards, for example). My recent experience was renting 315 points out through David's, and 59 of the remaining 65 points out through disboards. I was left with 6 "stranded" points that will expire.

You never told us how many points you think you need. That makes a big difference in advice given here. For example, if you are trying to find an 80 point contract, but you're looking at a 100 point contract, I think most of us would tell you to bite the bullet and get the 100. On the other hand, if you're trying for a 100, and looking at a 150, most of us would suggest you wait.

If the rental market stays strong, you probably won't have problem renting out your surplus of points on an annual basis. However, who knows how the rental market will look like 10 years from now when your contract is 25+ years. It's a risk only you know if it's worth taking.

LAX

Agreed. I also think it rental fees are eventually going to hit a plateau while MF will continue to rise therefore cutting into rental margins.

Agreed. I also think it rental fees are eventually going to hit a plateau while MF will continue to rise therefore cutting into rental margins.
Agreed but break even vs renting points is at 7/8 years so everything else is gravy at that point plus get priority 11month booking

You appear to already be pretty set on purchasing this contract, so being that it is your money then go for it. You asked experienced DVC members their take and it seems a pretty good consensus that buying points with the intent of renting them is not a great idea. What you choose to do with that information is up to you. You don't need to convince anybody but yourself whether you are making a smart decision. I hope it works out for you.

I was wondering about this also. We originally thought we'd be using all our points. However, life and health circumstances have changed recently, so we don't need them all. Thinking about renting rather than selling.

I was wondering about this also. We originally thought we'd be using all our points. However, life and health circumstances have changed recently, so we don't need them all. Thinking about renting rather than selling.

Your situation is different. You planned on using your points, but life changes happen (& can't really plan for them). Depending on how many "extra" points you are looking to rent and whether you can foresee the needs for those points a few years down the road, it might make sense to sell, especially when it has been a seller's market recently.

LAX

Thanks so much for all the color and input. Yup pretty sure I am set on contract as the pricing is too good to pass up if it can pass ROFR.

I am buying too many points for my current needs currently but my family will be growing and have many siblings as well. My fiancé used to go to Disney annually growing up so expect that tradition to continue once we have kids (vs every other now).

Just wanted to get myself more comfortable with reselling for next 2/3 years is all. Worse case I figure I (or parents) will just be going to Disney more often, HHI, or Aulani :)

Thanks again all!

You appear to already be pretty set on purchasing this contract, so being that it is your money then go for it. You asked experienced DVC members their take and it seems a pretty good consensus that buying points with the intent of renting them is not a great idea. What you choose to do with that information is up to you. You don't need to convince anybody but yourself whether you are making a smart decision. I hope it works out for you.
Why is it not good to rent? Just asking as I just bought into DVC and was thinking of renting my 2019 points and using 2020. Just looking for input. I don't want to bank 2019 into 2020 as I don't need that many points.

I would not buy assuming rental will always cover costs. I would also learn the rules for renting.
Where do you go to learn rules for renting? I am lucky to have my sister who has been a DVC member for 10+ years that I can ask questions, but would love to learn from different people to get more views.

It is not that it is bad to rent. It is hazardous to rely on rental to keep a contract affordable. If dues rise faster than rental rates, it is an issue. If demand drops due to recession or similar, you may not cover costs.

It is not that it is bad to rent. It is hazardous to rely on rental to keep a contract affordable. If dues rise faster than rental rates, it is an issue. If demand drops due to recession or similar, you may not cover costs.
Your right. I'm just hoping to cover next years dues and then in 2020 when I vacation I will enjoy myself and not worry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter