Is it okay to put family first? (Response to royal family stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/uk/harry-meghan-staff-redeployed-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

London (CNN)Members of staff employed by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at their Frogmore Cottage residence are being "redeployed," a source close to the couple told CNN on Friday, raising questions about the royal pair's plans for the future.

"In quiet periods staff are often redeployed elsewhere around the estate," the source told CNN after reports emerged in the British press Friday claiming that Harry and Meghan had let go of members of staff as they prepare to settle in Canada.
"No members of staff have been let go," the source confirmed.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/uk/harry-meghan-staff-redeployed-scli-gbr-intl/index.html

London (CNN)Members of staff employed by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at their Frogmore Cottage residence are being "redeployed," a source close to the couple told CNN on Friday, raising questions about the royal pair's plans for the future.

"In quiet periods staff are often redeployed elsewhere around the estate," the source told CNN after reports emerged in the British press Friday claiming that Harry and Meghan had let go of members of staff as they prepare to settle in Canada.
"No members of staff have been let go," the source confirmed.
Yes, that’s the same thing the msn.com article said:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s staff at Frogmore Cottage are being ‘let go’, in the surest sign yet the couple will settle in Canada, sources revealed yesterday.

At least two permanent employees – a house manager and a cleaner – are being moved to other duties within the Queen’s household.

Other members of staff who are used on an ad hoc basis, such as chefs, maids and footmen, have been told their services are no longer required at the couple’s Windsor residence.

Sources said Harry and Meghan operated Frogmore, on the Queen’s Windsor estate, with a ‘skeleton staff’ and no-one was being made redundant. But it is understood the employees are having to switch jobs as a ‘knock-on effect’ of the couple’s decision to relocate to North America for at least part of the year.

Yes, that’s the same thing the msn.com article said:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s staff at Frogmore Cottage are being ‘let go’, in the surest sign yet the couple will settle in Canada, sources revealed yesterday.

At least two permanent employees – a house manager and a cleaner – are being moved to other duties within the Queen’s household.

Other members of staff who are used on an ad hoc basis, such as chefs, maids and footmen, have been told their services are no longer required at the couple’s Windsor residence.

Sources said Harry and Meghan operated Frogmore, on the Queen’s Windsor estate, with a ‘skeleton staff’ and no-one was being made redundant. But it is understood the employees are having to switch jobs as a ‘knock-on effect’ of the couple’s decision to relocate to North America for at least part of the year.

The headline said let go. Let go and moved are two very different things.

The headline said let go. Let go and moved are two very different things.
Yes and no. They were let go from Frogmore because it will be empty now. Fortunately they will not lose their jobs completely because the RF has many properties. But who knows what that will do to their commutes and maybe they loved it there and had been there for a long time, or whatever. Probably sad they have to leave as they develop loyalties in the course of their work.

Yes and no. They were let go from Frogmore because it will be empty now. Fortunately they will not lose their jobs completely because the RF has many properties. But who knows what that will do to their commutes and maybe they loved it there and had been there for a long time, or whatever. Probably sad they have to leave as they develop loyalties in the course of their work.
Clearly we all read with our own bias.

Exactly. Being moved to a different assignment within the estates is not being "let go". :rolleyes2 Reading comprehension is fundamental.
And it might be a case of skipping over or not being totally clear on a British expression.
"no-one was being made redundant"
means no one was dismissed or fired.

Their new positions might be within the estate at Frogmore, or they might be at a property quite a distance away.

Last edited:
Who's to say if a journalist, or the copy editor, or the person who chooses the headline for a story used extremely precise language anywhere along the line before a story is published to the public?

After working a few years in an environment where the goings on are regularly covered on the news I was surprised to watch just how often what's reported about those goings on is distorted like a funhouse mirror. Someone merely reading the story or watching it on TV would have no way of discerning the different ways what's reported is 3-degrees off accurate here, 10-degrees off there, and so on.

And it might be a case of skipping over or not being totally clear on a British expression.
"no-one was being made redundant"
means no one was dismissed or fired.

Their new positions might be within the estate at Frogmore, or they might be at a property quite a distance away.
The very next sentence would have clarified any confusion.

My preference would have been a headline stating Frogmore Staff Transferred or Transitioning to Other Roles.

I do think it's impactful to those whose jobs are changing, location or otherwise. Working another location could impact commute and things like chain of command, things I'd be concerned about if it was my livelihood.

ETA: The use of redeployed above is quite good as well.

I don't understand why the people who "defend" Meghan Markle are so vicious. I mean, they are so protective of someone they have never met and who will never read here, but to fellow posters who do read here and are real people with real feelings, they have no problem being hateful and cruel. :confused3 And throwing out baseless accusations against others just because they can (Acidic old crow! Jealous! Racist!) they are no better than the big, bad tabloids they claim to hate LOL.

Meghan had zero "old friends" at her wedding - all the friends she had were actors and actresses and recent hangers on
British media - photographers, reporters, editors, etc who have done negative stories about her .... - all racist I guess
Her father - estranged from her. Must be racist.
Her father's family - all estranged from her - must be racist
Her mother's family - haven't given any negative press, but they haven't come out in her defense either. Nor were any of them invited to the wedding. Must be racist.
Harry's friends - marginalized and frozen out. Must be racist.
Harry's brother William - who he was so close with and shared a tight bond - out. Must be racist.
Harry's family - (the family that Harry said would be "the family Meghan never had" and Prince Charles even walked her down the aisle after she excommunicated her own father) - nope they are out now too. Must be racist.
Meghan's uncle - out (and he was a diplomat who got her an embassy job to get her started in life, said she has a huge chip on her shoulder and social climbed and left them behind). Must be racist.
Multiple palace staff who quit on Meghan and Harry after she came along - out. Must be racist.
Many former friends and associates who say Meghan dropped them like a hot potato the minute she got together with Harry - out. Must be racist.
Monarchists and royal watchers and just general consumers of news who have acquired a negative opinion of Meghan - must be racist.
Palace insiders who say Harry changed in a bad way after Meghan - must be racist.

I mean, I guess all of those people are jealous and/or racist, OR, Meghan Markle is simply a toxic person. Occam's Razor, people! Occam's Razor!

I wish Harry and Meghan no ill will. I do believe Harry is acting out of love and doing what any good husband and father should do. He wouldn't be the first to ditch everything for love. He also wouldn't be the first to regret it. I believe he is suffering greatly and has latched on to Meghan at this time....and will probably have the mother of all "Crazy Ex" stories when he comes to his senses in the future.

Meghan defenders are vicious? Have you seen the things people say about her? I admit, I’ve gotten quite sarcastic, but Meghan haters or those “concerned” about her influence on Harry, well...they spend way too much time thinking about this couple.

If you can’t understand, the racist undertones and the double standards when people attack Meghan for the same things Kate has done, I can’t help you.
As for Markle’s family, let’s see...her half brother and sister have lead extremely troubled lives and hardly speak to their own children. The sister will either praise or trash Meghan depending on what gets her attention and airtime. Her dad just never got the concept of just shutting up. Her mom did. Kate’s family did. Her dad is not a stupid person and easily could have learned from them and he’d still have a relationship with his daughter.

Meghan defenders are vicious? Have you seen the things people say about her? I admit, I’ve gotten quite sarcastic, but Meghan haters or those “concerned” about her influence on Harry, well...they spend way too much time thinking about this couple.

If you can’t understand, the racist undertones and the double standards when people attack Meghan for the same things Kate has done, I can’t help you.
As for Markle’s family, let’s see...her half brother and sister have lead extremely troubled lives and hardly speak to their own children. The sister will either praise or trash Meghan depending on what gets her attention and airtime. Her dad just never got the concept of just shutting up. Her mom did. Kate’s family did. Her dad is not a stupid person and easily could have learned from them and he’d still have a relationship with his daughter.
Attacks decried, attacks defended...all in one post. Might be that deliberate attacks in general are a big contributor to the issues.

My preference would have been a headline stating Frogmore Staff Transferred or Transitioning to Other Roles.

I do think it's impactful to those whose jobs are changing, location or otherwise. Working another location could impact commute and things like chain of command, things I'd be concerned about if it was my livelihood.

ETA: The use of redeployed above is quite good as well.
Headlines often “evolve” and stories change or update. When news first breaks everyone is scrambling to publish their information “first”; then others jump on the bandwagon, which seems to be the case here. England’s news is (at least) five hours ahead of our own (sometimes we seem to lag even more). Once the dust has settled after the initial frenzy it’s not unusual to see clarifications or changes to content, etc. Yesterday’s headline was “let go”; today’s it may be “redeployed”, but in fact the story hasn’t changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter