Is it really that hard for you to sit next to stranger on a ride?

JellyMintJames

Mouseketeer
Hello guys I rarely start threads but this something I need to discuss because it has been an issue as of late. I have been visiting Universal Orlando for the past couple months (I have an annual pass) all I seem to do is walk around because I was tired being scuffed at because that person didn't want to ride me or group didn't want me sitting with them so I sort just stop riding and walk around the theme park but it is really no fun. I'm starting not to want to go anymore because of this and it not only happens there, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Disney World (especially). I don't want to pull the race card but I'm started to think that what it is and being a man on top of that. I have no idea what to do and it is really discouraging because I really love the theme parks but it's just some people that ruin it for me. I'm not trying to be a baby but come on this is getting ridiculous. The ride attends are not going to waste time and car space because you don't want to ride with certain people or don't want anyone in your family....

First, I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you and putting such a damper on your days in the parks. :(

I think part of it has to do with people wanting to take photos and videos to share online, and they only want their own group to be in those photos/videos. (Because my family had an experience at a park where someone was making a complaint about my kid winding up in the same ride car as her kid. Sorry, lady! He's allowed to ride, too! ;) )

I also find people in general seem to interact with strangers with far less friendliness and openess in the recent decade or so. And while I hate to sound like I'm harping on social media/cell phones, I really do think it's because many people interact through electronics so much these days. You hear people bemoan that they don't interact with their own friends and family as they used to, so for sure they're not going to interact with strangers as well. They've lost (or never learned) the art of making pleasant small talk---even just a line or two---with people they don't know. :( And it's not just young people---I think anyone can lose polite conversational skills if they stop talking to people.

(I will say, that I do get uncomfortable sometimes when a stranger winds up sitting right next to me anywhere----bus, movie, ride, school assembly--it doesn't matter. BUT I would never be rude or unfriendly. I would just feel uncomfortable. For me, the reason is that I'm a big person, so I take up my whole seat, plus I tend to always be warm, so I worry about being packed right up against a stranger, perspiring, and that being an unpleasant experience for them. Whenever possible I like to put my family around me because they are all smaller than I am so that gives them a bit of breathing space...plus you know, they love me, so they don't mind. :) )

Anyway, I hope you can find joy in riding again, despite other people's behavior.

I go to UO solo
I’m always sitting next to strangers on the rides

There a few single rider lines I use as they are shorter then the express lines

There are times peeps next to me talk and times I feel like I am invisible
Lol

UO is a fun place
Don’t stay away due to ill mannered peeps

I don’t have set plans for my next UO vacation but when I do, meet up with me for the day in the parks
We can hang out and have fun

Similar to how players of Pokemon Go get together for raids or community days, it sounds like either a Facebook group or ******* channel needs to be setup where various solo UO solos can post to see if anyone else is going to UO that day and plan to meet up.

Darn I came back to edit and add something and it all deleted!!

Basically I am so sorry this has happened to you....it’s an awful thing to experience.

Please don’t be discouraged, most People aren’t like that, I still believe most people are genuine and friendly. I agree with pp that lots of people are engrossed with their phones and so on. We don’t have a phone on vacation in the parks, we love chatting to everyone who we have met in lines and around the parks.

Anyway, didn‘t want to read and run, but sending you many hugs......

Last edited:
I am sorry that you have experienced this. We are a family of three so we often end up with a stranger, either a single traveller or merged with a family group. Sometimes I sense that young people prefer to ride share with other young people, rather than old biddy me. Be brave, smile, offer a cheery hello and try riding again. Rides don’t last long so enjoy the moment(s). Good luck.

Aww man that sucks. I've never run into that problem and it might be because I typically start out saying something like, "Hello, I'll be your date for the evening" or "I'm your drivers ed instructor/tour guide" and that breaks the ice a little. They typically laugh. It's usually the younger people that don't speak. I don't pay any mind to any of it because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 99% of the time there is going to be a "seat filler" riding with you on any given ride so they can get over it. The most I've experienced is folks acting like I'm not there but I don't really expect them to invite me to be a part of the family lol. I think if you start out being funny when you say hello you'll find that it makes people loosen up at least enough to get you and them through the ride. Come up with a one liner and have it be your go to. lol It's always going to be awkward being loved up against a stranger but you have to make the best of it and not pay so much attention to what the people you're sitting with are thinking. Sometimes we are looking for things because WE are uncomfortable so we read far too much into it. Who cares if they look like they think you're going to rob them lol...you're not a foreign exchange student...you won't be with them long :joker:

Let me add that I don't like to sit by ANYONE that immediately starts asking if I've ridden before and then goes into a spiel about what's going to happen or starts giving details and trivia about the ride. aka: "Make sure you look to the left when we stop at the tree" etc... I HATE that ,even if the person that does it is my own family or friend. Just let me enjoy it on my own. First of all...I'm a pro and I probably already know and correct your misinformation lol. A simple hello and a one liner to break the ice, then let them do the talking or not, whatever the case may be.

Sorry to hear you've had these bad experiences...

If you were paired next to me, you wouldn't be rejected... and I'd probably talk your ears off!! :wave2:

I'm going solo for the first time to Universal Orlando in a few weeks. I never thought that people not wanting to ride with me would be an issue. Now I wonder if it will?

Sorry that you feel like you can't ride the attractions anymore. I am a woman so that might make a difference as to how people feel about having me join them on rides. I go solo alot and usually start with a Hi, I'm your hitchhiker.

Sometimes the person laughs if they do I will then chat with them a bit. If they don't respond I know they are one of the quiet types so I don't chat.

Last trip, I said the hitchhiker line to a high schooler (at least I think he was a high schooler) on Expedition Everest. He laughed and said he was told to never pick up a hitchhiker but I looked harmless so he thought it would be ok. And then the ride took off. I thought that was funny.

I used that line to a woman on Test Track and she just frowned at me and then at the end was complaining to her group that she didn't understand why a stranger had to ride with them. I just shrugged to myself and kept walking - she wasn't talking to me anyways.

I know what you mean about people not being as friendly as they used to be. I used to chat with folks in the lines with me alot and most would chat back. Now I notice that they tend to ignore me most of the time which is a shame. I love learning about where people are from and what their favorite things they've done so far are - those are my go to questions in line.

Anyways - try not to let other people dictate how you feel in the parks - ride the attractions, enjoy the shows and do your best to have fun. Ignore the grumpy people and enjoy the happy ones!

Great responses fellow DISers. Just wanted to add I’m that annoying lady in the grocery store line who chats up the person behind me. Yeah 2 out of every 8 answer with one word. But, I have had some great 3 min friendly conversations with others about recipes or a favorite snack.

As an adult I have no problem riding a ride or sitting next to a stranger, no matter what they look like. But as a mom who has worked in corrections for more than 15 years, I am uncomfortable with my children being alone with a strange adult in a ride vehicle. Looks/race has nothing to do with it. Now if it was 3-4 ppl in the ride car and I was with my child, I don't care who else rides with us. I am sorry that people have made you feel bad, or that its something about you specifically.

As an adult I have no problem riding a ride or sitting next to a stranger, no matter what they look like. But as a mom who has worked in corrections for more than 15 years, I am uncomfortable with my children being alone with a strange adult in a ride vehicle. Looks/race has nothing to do with it. Now if it was 3-4 ppl in the ride car and I was with my child, I don't care who else rides with us. I am sorry that people have made you feel bad, or that its something about you specifically.
I am a little overprotective of my kids sitting next to a stranger, particularly a man. (There is history behind it, but I realize it is a little paranoid.)
I also get anxious because I worry someone in my family would be obnoxious to the single rider person (little kids say really rude things unintentionally sometimes).
I would try really hard not to make the single rider feel uncomfortable, though. I'm sorry it is ruining your time at the parks.

Great responses fellow DISers. Just wanted to add I’m that annoying lady in the grocery store line who chats up the person behind me. Yeah 2 out of every 8 answer with one word. But, I have had some great 3 min friendly conversations with others about recipes or a favorite snack.
I am a very shy person, but I really like interactions like these.

What I think is odd, people don't want to ride with strangers but at the end of the night, those same people are willing to be squish in a bus with you.

I do agree with problem of young kids being in a separate car. There was a thread of kids being put in toy story with a stranger and most of the ride , the parents couldn't see them.

I'm sorry that you've had this experience multiple times @JellyMintJames. I haven't been to the parks yet this year, but soon (maybe this month) I am planning on getting my AP again. If you know ahead of time you're coming you can always ask me if I have my pass yet, or if coming that day, or not. Typically, when I go it's spontaneous. Even if you still want to walk around and not ride that's fine too.

I personally SR a lot as I'm solo myself and most of the time people to not speak to me, or acknowledge my existence. Due to being shy, I do not typically speak unless spoken to, or if someone behind me seems to be loudly asking questions / seems conflicted about something relating to the ride. Typically, I only speak in those circumstances if it's something they're worried, or scared about. I've even had a lady grab my arm during a ride and kept apologizing afterward as typically you do not do that to a stranger. I'm a pretty understanding person so I kept reassuring her it was fine.

So, yes, I can handle sitting next to strangers and if they grab my arm, they can if they have a good reason. :laughing:

hi there,
as a single rider a lot of the time, I also get the looks etc, but doesn't faze me.
If they don't want to ride with me, then allow another single rider to step in their place and lets go!
Life is too short, as are the rides, to let it get you down.

I guess I’m confused by this as someone who goes to parks solo all the time. Since when do people have a choice if they sit next to you? I just go where the cast member tells me to. I might get a strange look but who cares? I’m there for a ride, not friendships. If I enjoy chatting with the person next to me, all the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!