Is it really that hard for you to sit next to stranger on a ride?

Im solo and single rider on rides when I can . I'm one of those people who gives as good as i get. I had an interesting experience as a single rider in Radiator Racers once. I was sent from the single rider line to fill a spare seat, which is what is supposed to happen. The mom I the party of 5 wasn't happy didn't want me in their car, and told me to wait for the next car. I said no , you are a party of 5 and I have been sent to fill the spare seat. Oh she didn't like that. I stood my ground, and got into the car. The atmosphere was frosty but that made it more fun for me, as I whooped and hollowed my way around the track, and throwing my arms in the air to purposely ruin their family on ride photo.

Piss me off and try to intimidate me cos Im not an American and you think I'm young and a niave tourist, then you will regret it. BTW, I'm over 40 but look in my 20's and have been going to Disneyland for 10 year's!!

I have to do single rider on roller coasters since my wife can't handle them. I usually just say hello and plop down or like Alicefan does, use an icebreaker and say "I hope this doesn't come up, but I just had a big lunch".

Im solo and single rider on rides when I can . I'm one of those people who gives as good as i get. I had an interesting experience as a single rider in Radiator Racers once. I was sent from the single rider line to fill a spare seat, which is what is supposed to happen. The mom I the party of 5 wasn't happy didn't want me in their car, and told me to wait for the next car. I said no , you are a party of 5 and I have been sent to fill the spare seat. Oh she didn't like that. I stood my ground, and got into the car. The atmosphere was frosty but that made it more fun for me, as I whooped and hollowed my way around the track, and throwing my arms in the air to purposely ruin their family on ride photo.

Piss me off and try to intimidate me cos Im not an American and you think I'm young and a niave tourist, then you will regret it. BTW, I'm over 40 but look in my 20's and have been going to Disneyland for 10 year's!!
Sorry you had bad issues at the Disney parks

The thread you are replying to here is about the Universal Orlando parks

Sorry you had bad issues at the Disney parks

The thread you are replying to here is about the Universal Orlando parks

Makes no difference, different parks but the issues are the same. People think they can intimidate and and push single riders around, which is not right. Single riders have the same rights as anyone else to be there.

Singe riders should not be made to feel guilty or not wanted.

If a ride has a single rider line, and a single rider is assigned to your party to fill empty seats, then you have no right to tell the single rider not to join your party.

And no matter what the park, Universal or Disney, if you have issues with me being a single rider and assigned to fill seats with your party, then I will ruin your family photo, or I will sit between you and someone in your party , or I will make you miserable while I enjoy the ride.

I am confrontational when I need to be and I really dont care if you dont like it. I am that person when someone trys to queue jump will not allow it, I am that person who if you try to push me I will push back , I am that person who will loudly and aggressively say NO if you try to squeeze in front of me or try to block me. I just wish others were like me and then maybe people would get the message that bad behaviour will not be tolerated.

@BadPinkTink while it's unfortunate you had a situation like that it doesn't make you look any better in the eye's of the family. We all have our moments in which we do like to lash out, or tell people off when they do us wrong, but doing stuff like that probably just proved the mother's potential point in why they might have not wanted someone involved in their ride vehicle. It's still incredibly rude for her to tell you to wait for the next car and I am disappointed it had to be you to stand your ground and say you were going in the ride vehicle, when it should have been a CM telling her this and standing up for you.

It's amazing that you fought for your right and I commend you for it, but just wanted to point out that essentially it increased those mother's chances of being more assertive herself in not wanting anyone else in her ride vehicle in the future. Is that right? No. However, just pointing out you could have proven her wrong and potentially even made her even feel guilty for the way she treated you.

Hello guys I rarely start threads but this something I need to discuss because it has been an issue as of late. I have been visiting Universal Orlando for the past couple months (I have an annual pass) all I seem to do is walk around because I was tired being scuffed at because that person didn't want to ride me or group didn't want me sitting with them so I sort just stop riding and walk around the theme park but it is really no fun. I'm starting not to want to go anymore because of this and it not only happens there, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Disney World (especially). I don't want to pull the race card but I'm started to think that what it is and being a man on top of that. I have no idea what to do and it is really discouraging because I really love the theme parks but it's just some people that ruin it for me. I'm not trying to be a baby but come on this is getting ridiculous. The ride attends are not going to waste time and car space because you don't want to ride with certain people or don't want anyone in your family....

I'll sit next to ya unless you're a golfer. If I gotta spend the whole ride listening to you talk about golf, I'm gonna tell the ride attendant you were touching my knee inappropriately. :D

I was tired being scuffed at because that person didn't want to ride me or group didn't want me sitting with them

What is being scuffed at? I haven’t heard that word before in this context.

being a man on top of that.

If there’s an issue, it’s that.

The ride attends are not going to waste time and car space because you don't want to ride with certain people or don't want anyone in your family....

So then you’re simply getting on the rides, right? So...why have you stopped riding?

then at the end was complaining to her group that she didn't understand why a stranger had to ride with them.

And it’s a good question, for groups who have no idea, and have no reason to know, that single rider exists. I’ve seen many people confused about it.

It’s like dining with strangers on a cruise. If you haven’t been on a cruise before and didn’t thoroughly research, you might be confused when there are others at your table.

You just explain quickly.

But make SURE that you were supposed to go on that ride cycle. Big thunder at Disney is BAD about people thinking they are being sent to get on that ride vehicle, when they are supposed to be on the next one. Not sure if there are similar rides at universal, as I always have express pass and can’t remember if I’ve been in SR there.

If a ride has a single rider line, and a single rider is assigned to your party to fill empty seats, then you have no right to tell the single rider not to join your party.

Except that many people don’t know about SR lines. I do because I was in a family of three, and I was the non threatening, smaller, adult so I went solo.

And I got confusion. So I explained. There’s usually time in line before you’re seated.

Again with Disney rides...when toy story at DL had a single rider line I got to explain it to other families of 3 when I was put with their kid when I was in solo trips. They simply don’t know.

if you have issues with me being a single rider and assigned to fill seats with your party, then I will ruin your family photo, or I will sit between you and someone in your party , or I will make you miserable while I enjoy the ride.

Yikes. That behavior is part of the problem.

I am that person when someone trys to queue jump will not allow it

I am that person who will loudly and aggressively say NO if you try to squeeze in front of me or try to block me.

Those two things-queue jumping and squeezing/blocking-are what the families think YOU are doing. They think you’re jumping in their time to ride. They had expectations and didn’t know. They are pushing back, just like you say you do.

Most Americans find the Irish way of speaking to be pleasant (i edited here after reminding myself of where you’re from), so use that to your advantage.

A quick “I’m solo so I was in the single rider line, and they use that line to fill space to keep the line you were in shorter” is good. And it’s better with a nice accent. For Americans, at least.

I feel really sorry for everyone who had trouble beeing a Single rider. Altough I usually ride with my husband I had some nice experiences with total strangers at theme parks, standing in line or on the ride.
@ JellyMintJames Please do not stupid people let ruin your fun. We are going next november 1st to 4th, if you are there let me know and I will be happy to share a ride with you:thumbsup2

OP - you can run into people from all over the world in the Orlando parks, many with different customs, ESL, religious edicts, etc. I’ve enjoyed interacting with many people in the parks. Others, well, can’t wait to keep moving on down the road.

Unfortunately, it appears some prejudices can be universal (pun not intended). Consider the source(s) when it happens, it’s their problem, not yours. Above all else, don’t let the haters bring you down, & have a great day.

The mom I the party of 5 wasn't happy didn't want me in their car, and told me to wait for the next car. I said no , you are a party of 5 and I have been sent to fill the spare seat. Oh she didn't like that. I stood my ground, and got into the car. The atmosphere was frosty but that made it more fun for me, as I whooped and hollowed my way around the track, and throwing my arms in the air to purposely ruin their family on ride photo.

IMO there is no reason why it’s necessary to explain your presence in a ride vehicle to a dolt, period. Stand your ground & consult with the TMs/CMs. That’s why they pay them the ‘big bucks’. Seriously, can you imagine the crap they deal with on any given day? Not sure how they manage to hang in there!

Bottom line, let them sort it out, it’s their job. It’s not uncommon for all involved in altercations in the parks to be (at the very least) ejected. Things can quickly accelerate from verbal to physical in a blink of an eye, not worth it to make a point with randoms IMO

I'm afraid OPs suspicions are probably the issue. Im a non-threatening short-ish white guy and I ride solo a lot and I've never felt any harsh glances. I can't give any advice and Im sorry its affecting your enjoyment of the parks. State of the world I'm afraid.

We are a family of five. I pretty much always volunteer to be the odd man out, and I’ve never once given a crap about it... I’ll take the empty seat. If the person has an issue, it’s 5 minutes or less of their life.

If I was you, I’d just ignore people and board. Every empty seat makes the line longer, it’s in the best interest of everyone to fill them all!

I sit by strangers all the time on rides. I really don't care who you are. If a bunch of Martians came down and decided to take over a ride and there is a single space for me, I'd ride with a bunch of Martians. It doesn't matter to me.

As a side note, some rides in a Japan they will actually ask you if it is ok for you to sit next to strangers.

Sorry to hear that. I'm at the end of my vacation as a solo single rider and people have been very nice to me. I'm a black woman and appear racially ambiguous(though I have dreads). I know you don't want to say it's race but culturally... it's a fact. I appreciate you sharing your experience here so more people can be aware of potential implicit bias and how it can affect those around them. Too bad I'm leaving today lol.

Sorry to hear that. I'll be there the first two weeks of December with my husband. There are a lot of rides I go on by myself. My husband hates a lot of the rides - he's such a chicken. I just ignore the ones who have problems with me joining them. I would be happy to share rides with you, as long as you don't mind an old lady who still thinks she's a kid.

Most rides start immediately and many in the dark I never even pay attention to who is beside me.

I think there is definitely an element of gender bias and racism. I've been the single rider often and never had an negative reaction, even when I'm feeling embarrassed about ruining a group photo. When my tiny preteen daughter is a single rider, people sometimes look nervous, but I assume they either think it's a mistake or worry that she'll get scared and/or need parenting (never). We've seen more problems with people in the single rider line not be ready to split up. When we are a group of three, I welcome the single riders because I appreciate efficiency.

I have used SR at USO, DL and WDW parks if the standby wait is too long. I’m a 50yo friendly woman so not very intimidating. Sometimes people give you a weird look but I just smile and say hi and get ready for the ride. When riding with my DD16, especially when she was younger, if there was going to be an open seat for a possible single rider I would try to make sure it was next to me and not DD as she is shy around strangers.

the best SR story ever was when DD was 8 and we went to WDW with my mom and the 3 of us got on RNRC and a single young guy ended up in back with my mom while she blessed herself over and over and prayed out loud the whole preshow. Poor guy didn’t know what to do or say. Got to give my mom props for riding it and doing her first loop coaster at 70 though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!