Is Legoland fun for adults without kids?

TayjaDanger

Mouseketeer
My friend and I are going to DLR for 6 nights/7days in Jan 2013, which should be plenty of time to experience the parks at a relaxed place. I'm wondering if we will get bored though on day 5 or 6? Looked at other amusement parks in the area and I can't help but be intrigued by Legoland.

Question is, would LL be fun for adults without kids? (Disney is great fun for us as adults, we are not necessarily thrill ride seekers so 6 Flags and KBF don't hold much appeal). I'd love to hear some opinions of the "all ages" enjoyment factor of LL park (we would probably not do the waterpark or aquarium parts). Would you recommend it to two mild-mannered 30 somethings?

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend it for two adults exclusively. It's really geared to the 9 and under crowd.

I like legos a lot, always have. I have a huge collection, though it's arguably my son's now.

Without him I would be in an out of Legoland in 1 or 2 hours tops.

I would suggest going to Universal Studios.

Legoland is a great amusement park built for toddlers, most others may be bored quickly. Sea World is lots of fun but rather far for a day drive. We usually stay in San Diego for 1 or 2 nights.

I 2nd the vote for Universal. While it does have a few somewhat thrill rides its mostly shows, exhibits and the very well done backlot tram tour.

As for rides you may enjoy some of them:

Mummy is a fast moving car ride but not a coaster. You stay at ground level. It has some small up and down dips, only slight turns and great effects.

Jurassic Park is more of a thrill ride with the boat going down a steep drop at the end similar to Splash Mountains drop.

Simpsons is a simulator ride, kinda like Star Tours. The new Terminator is also a simulator ride but am told your car move slowly along a track (I have not been on it yet).

I agree not for adults. Not really even for older kids. DH and I actually had a conversation while we were there about how it was so different from Disney because Disney goes out of its way to make sure the parks are entertaining for adults too and Legoland really didn't have anything to appeal to anyone much over 8. DH can't wait to get back to Disney or Universal, but he hopes he can talk Dd out of ever going to Legoland again

You've got one of the best roller coaster parks in the nation a mere hour and a half to the north. Try Six Flags Magic Mountain and get there at opening, sprint to X2 ride, then hit Tatsu, etc... Or buy a Flash Pass.

If those are too much for you then Knotts Berry Farm for Xcelerator, Silver Bullett, and Ghostrider.

Edit... looks like SFMM is only open on weekends in January. Not sure about Knotts.....

Thank you all for your replies! I think we will probably skip Legoland on your advice.
It's a shame, really-- we loved Legos as kids and the Lego sculptures seen at WDW's Downtown Disney were really neat. I think Lego has broader appeal than just young children--it's too bad their park is not aimed accordingly. I guess that is why Disney is so great and keeps us going back as often as possible, there's something for everyone!
Thanks also for the other suggestions. I am going to look into some of them! Now if only CA's Universal had Harry Potter.... but that's coming soon, right? :) :dance3:
Thanks again for all the help!
T

It's a shame, really-- we loved Legos as kids and the Lego sculptures seen at WDW's Downtown Disney were really neat.
That is always a handy back up and more convinient too. DTD at DLR has some different scenes so you should wander down there. 10-12 minute walk from the gates.

Thanks also for the other suggestions. I am going to look into some of them! Now if only CA's Universal had Harry Potter.... but that's coming soon, right? :) :dance3:

In a few years.

We have been to LL twice, both times with our kids, and while the kids LOVED it, I found myself wondering how much longer we'd have to stay. Like a PP said, it's unlike Disney in that they didn't really do much to appeal to the adult crowd.

However . . . I think that adults could have fun there. There is a really cool land with a ton of Lego buildings/etc. modeled after real world cities/attractions. It is pretty cool to look at even for adults. And there are a couple of coasters that would be fun. I'd say if you can go without a big investment of time or money, go for it. But I think if you pay full price and expect a whole day out of it, you'll be disappointed.

Now if only CA's Universal had Harry Potter.... but that's coming soon, right?

No plans that I'm aware of. Universal is currently working on Harry Potter land in Japan.

However, Universal Hollywood does have the backlot tram tour thats far superior to anything like it at Orlando. Universal Hollywood has dozens of actual movie and tv series outdoor sets you'll get to see.

My family has had LL AP in the past. This park has a very specific age group. It's really for the 4-11 (even the 10 and 11 year olds can be kind of a stretch) group. The younger ones can't go on much either. Unlike DL where I actually took a 6 week old and could go on most of the rides in Fantasyland, there are only about 2-3 rides that you can take someone under 2 on. There is really NOTHING for adults--unlike DL. In fact during this AP year there I got so frustrated with how inefficient they are at getting people on and off rides (I swear they researched the most inefficient way and implemented it--I'm so used to DLR where they move people through fast), I finally ended up taking a book when we went, finding a comfortable bench in the shade and read while my kids would go on the nearby ride, so I wouldn't have to watch the idiodic way they manipulated the guests through the rides :scratchin :rolleyes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayjaDanger
Now if only CA's Universal had Harry Potter.... but that's coming soon, right?
No plans that I'm aware of. Universal is currently working on Harry Potter land in Japan.

Universal Hollywood officially announced December 2011 that they were putting a Harry Potter land there with a projected 2016 opening. You can read the announcement at the link below

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/07/business/la-fi-ct-potter-park-20111207

We went to LL last year and the whole time there I was wishing I was at DL. They have signs on some rides that say Parents wait, kids play...which must be there motto. Luckily, we only paid for 1 day, but were able to get in up to 5 days. With not much to do for adults, those tickets are a rip off.

Here's the thing about Legoland...
They have rides that kids will think are fun, but adults wouldn't really like, or be able to go on. And they have lots of models that adults would like to take some time to stand and look at (especially adult Lego fans) but the kids would get bored quickly.

I like it there, and want to go back, but the tickets are very expensive, more than I am willing to pay to go as an adult with no kids to go and look at models.

When we have kids, and they are 5-10, we'll go.

We went to Legoland last week with friends and their kids, and found the new Star Wars Miniland very well done.

Star Wars Miniland

Woody

I wouldn't recommend it for two adults exclusively. It's really geared to the 9 and under crowd.

Concur. Unless Legos are really interesting to you. Maybe another park? SD Zoo, SD Safari Park, other points of interest to you both? :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter