Is Maria Coming??

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
I've been watching Hurricane Maria and hoping she doesn't invade Florida. They will know better by the end of the week whether she will impact Florida, but of course, that is when we are supposed to be heading down to Universal.

Anyone else keeping a close on Maria for trip purposes?

I am! I head to Florida the first week of October. I know that by the time I'm there, she'll have come and gone. But I'm dreading any storms coming after her!

As of right now, it looks like she's steering east of Florida. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

I've been watching too since we're leaving on Thursday for 9 days! Latest at 6pm was that it will hit Puerto Rico and then move north - hopefully staying out at sea. All subject to change of course (unfortunately). I sure wish it would miss the islands too. :(

We leave tomorrow night, arriving early Thursday. I have been keeping an eye on all models of Maria (European, NWS, etc.) What I have learned is:
Maria will probably track north into the Atlantic (like Jose). However, there are more storms coming in that can effect how Maria behaves. Any significant push westerly, will mean Florida could be hit around Sunday or Monday. I am banking that it will move north, but I am keeping a close watch. We were to return home Monday night, so we might have to extend our trip, if the airports are affected. I can think of worse things. I just pray for everyone who has been affected by hurricanes, earthquakes, fires and the wrath of nature. May our Creator have mercy and provide each individual with what they require to make it through. I ask in the name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen

We leave tomorrow night, arriving early Thursday. I have been keeping an eye on all models of Maria (European, NWS, etc.) What I have learned is:
Maria will probably track north into the Atlantic (like Jose). However, there are more storms coming in that can effect how Maria behaves. Any significant push westerly, will mean Florida could be hit around Sunday or Monday. I am banking that it will move north, but I am keeping a close watch. We were to return home Monday night, so we might have to extend our trip, if the airports are affected. I can think of worse things. I just pray for everyone who has been affected by hurricanes, earthquakes, fires and the wrath of nature. May our Creator have mercy and provide each individual with what they require to make it through. I ask in the name of Your Son, Jesus. Amen
Sorry if I offended anyone. I spontaneously erupt into prayer now and then.

Haven't seen any models putting it into Florida. It's definitely not following the Irma path which went right over central Florida.

Go brush up on the hurricane policies before making any rash decision and losing money on your trip.

Though FL should be fine in regards to Maria, there's one website saying a storm may develop in the Caribbean in early Oct. and head towards FL. That's still a bit ahead but I've become much, much more aware of storm watching ahead now these days. (Especially after seeing how much in advance FL runs out of water and gas when others notice storms possibly coming more than a week out!)

Though FL should be fine in regards to Maria, there's one website saying a storm may develop in the Caribbean in early Oct. and head towards FL. That's still a bit ahead but I've become much, much more aware of storm watching ahead now these days. (Especially after seeing how much in advance FL runs out of water and gas when others notice storms possibly coming more than a week out!)

Being aware is good. Panicking isn't. I saw and heard too many people canceling vacations which wouldn't have started for 5+ days after Irma, thinking the parks would be heavily damaged, or believing some unreliable website about multiple hurricanes heading Orlando's way. That was all irresponsible and dumb.

The hurricane policies have just been shown to work in favor of the travelers. If a storm is heading towards the resort, you will have time to change your plans and if you're there, you'll be well taken care of. Trying to predict where a storm which is weeks away from even forming will go is a fool's errand.

Being aware is good. Panicking isn't. I saw and heard too many people canceling vacations which wouldn't have started for 5+ days after Irma, thinking the parks would be heavily damaged, or believing some unreliable website about multiple hurricanes heading Orlando's way. That was all irresponsible and dumb.

The hurricane policies have just been shown to work in favor of the travelers. If a storm is heading towards the resort, you will have time to change your plans and if you're there, you'll be well taken care of. Trying to predict where a storm which is weeks away from even forming will go is a fool's errand.
The big issue for me is not being at the resort during a hurricane, but getting to and from the resort from my home when hundreds of thousands of others are on the roads.

It is a pretty legitimate concern since highways can be even more dangerous than normal during evacuation and return times, especially if you are dealing with bad weather as well as a lot more traffic.

Airports also have major travel problems during such times. People who fly have very legitimate concerns about getting there and getting back home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!