Is moonlight magic doable?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!

We have an extended family trip where our group is staying all through out the boardwalk area.
One family of 3 (DVC Members) at boardwalk
Family of 2 at Swan
Family of 2 at Dolphin
Family of 4 at YC

We were hoping we could all attend Moonlight Magic though only the ones staying at BWI are DVC.
Does anyone see a way to get us all in?

Thanks in advance!

From Member site:

Party Size Limits
A Member can register themselves and up to 5 additional guests (total of 6)—or up to the number of guests on his or her Resort reservation. Children younger than 3 years old do not need to be registered for this event.

Members With Multiple Resort Reservations
If Members have multiple Resort reservations, additional party size guidelines apply depending on how the reservation was booked:

• When staying using Vacation Points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals on their Resort reservation(s).
  • When staying using cash or RCI® points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals staying in the same room as the Member.

Thanks! What I’m confused about is, if there are 3 people in a room that could sleep 4- do I get the 3 of us PLUS 5 guests?
Or do I get 4 of us plus 5 guests?

I think when they talk about “up to the number of individuals on the reservation “ they are making allowances for people who have a grand villa, for instance. Also. A member may have guests in multiple reservations.

My take is “Every member can book up to 5 guests unless there are more on the reservation(s).”

Hey, I could be wrong. Call, ask.

Last edited:
Hello!

We have an extended family trip where our group is staying all through out the boardwalk area.
One family of 3 (DVC Members) at boardwalk
Family of 2 at Swan
Family of 2 at Dolphin
Family of 4 at YC

We were hoping we could all attend Moonlight Magic though only the ones staying at BWI are DVC.
Does anyone see a way to get us all in?

Thanks in advance!

Nope. No way you could get all of you in.
As bobbiwoz quoted from member site:
"Party Size Limits
A Member can register themselves and up to 5 additional guests (total of 6)—or up to the number of guests on his or her Resort reservation."
So if you were staying alone on your reservation you could add up to 5 additional guests for a total or 6. If you had 4 in your room, you could add 2 additional guests for a total of 6. Since you are a party of 3, you may add 3 additional guests for a total of 6.
That is if your are staying on DVC points. If you are a cash reservation it is limited to number of people in member's room.
"When staying using cash or RCI® points, Members can register themselves and up to the number of individuals staying in the same room as the Member."
You have to use your DVC membership to book it, and they check your membership number to make sure you are entitled to this benefit.

So when we go in September, and we have three of us, I cannot let my friends come with us (party of 4)? I completely thought I could have up to 8. Ugh.

So when we go in September, and we have three of us, I cannot let my friends come with us (party of 4)? I completely thought I could have up to 8. Ugh.
Only if you get a 2BR and add them to the guest list.

I have a feeling that when they say “per member”, they mean “per membership”. So if a husband and wife have one membership between them, they can have up to six people go ... including at least one of them ... unless they are staying in a DVC room with more than that number of people. But to get all of your group in, you’d need a room that sleeps 11 and you’d have to put all of them on your reservation.

Thanks! What I’m confused about is, if there are 3 people in a room that could sleep 4- do I get the 3 of us PLUS 5 guests?
Or do I get 4 of us plus 5 guests?
neither. I think you get up to a total of six. So if you already have three in the room, you may reserve and bring another three. You don’t get five guests on top of the number or capacity in your room.

I would call member services.

For the Soarin' Tour I was able to get a reservation for 8 people (or more accurately 2 reservations of 4) based on 2 membership cards, my wife and me who are joint owners on 1 direct contract.

"Party size is limited to the Member and up to 3 guests per Membership Card." - fine print on Soarin' tour

The MM wording is less clear, but it does say "member plus 5", not membership card plus 5. Second it does not say whichever it is larger or smaller on the or clause.

If all 3 staying in the BWV are card holding members with honors and benefits, I would call MS.

"Party size limited to the Member plus 5 Guests—or limited to the total number of Guests listed on their Disney Resort hotel reservation(s)." fine print on MM

We were able to book our extended family of 7 for the Magic Kingdom Membership Magic in February but they were all staying in our 2 bedroom Villa at VGF, so there's not a firm maximum limit of 6. I'd just call and try to reserve the number you need. If they are staying on your reservations, it may not be a problem.

I get wanting to invite friends, but when the number of add-ons is larger than the number of members, I think that is a little excessive. I would be happy to see them limit the initial event registration to the number of people actually in the room for members staying on site or local members and immediate family only, and then open it up weeks later to additional guests if space is still available.

Not everyone can be sitting at a computer ready to pounce at 9 AM for fear of getting shut out even when you have a DVC room reservation.

We were able to book our extended family of 7 for the Magic Kingdom Membership Magic in February but they were all staying in our 2 bedroom Villa at VGF, so there's not a firm maximum limit of 6. I'd just call and try to reserve the number you need. If they are staying on your reservations, it may not be a problem.

The eligibility is very explicit. Everyone staying in your DVC unit, with you, can be registered. But if you have 3 in a studio, you cannot add your 8 friends staying elsewhere.

I have two reservations, one in my name (DVC Member) and I booked another room for friends of ours that is going with us staying in their own room on my points. So 2 studios and a total of 7 people. I just booked online for the typhoon lagoon 5/30 event. I put in my reservation number and entered in 7 guests, and as far as I can tell it got accepted as I have a registration code that shows 7 people. I then tried registering the room with the reservation number of our friends room booked on our points and it said member number and reservation number does not match. My goal their was to edit the first reservation once the second was added to the actual number of guests in each room. So right now it looks like I am reserved for 7 people but afraid to show up that night and not all be allowed in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter