Is Ohana going downhill?

fiasco32

Mouseketeer
We went there last January for the first time and I was not super impressed. The food was not warm, felt like it had even been sitting out for a while. At the time, though, I chalked it up to the fact that we couldn't get a reservation until 9:15 pm (that was a mistake for several reasons).

But lately I've been seeing a lot of similar reviews of Ohana here and in other places. Food cold or lacking flavor, service struggling, not worth the wait or hassle, etc.

I'm not a DW veteran, but it's my understanding Ohana has been one of those "go-to" places. Not anymore?

Ohana has been a hit or miss for years, its still a favorite and a must do but yea sometimes the meat is dry sometimes food isn't hot, sometimes you feel rushed... Its still a go to for us tho

Ohana has been a hit or miss for years, its still a favorite and a must do but yea sometimes the meat is dry sometimes food isn't hot, sometimes you feel rushed... Its still a go to for us tho

We're giving it another try when we're back in a couple of weeks. This time at a normal hour (5:40 pm). Hopeful it will be a better experience.

I had the same experience when I went back in Jan. 2017. Our waitress was barely present/looked like she didn't want to be there. I didn't even find the skewer meat that tasty--just rubbery and overcooked. The salad and bread pudding was the best part.

We had breakfast there in 2015 and it was terrible. After seeing lots of good dinner reviews, we're going to try a dinner this trip and cross our fingers it's good! If not, 'Ohana will probably be crossed off our list.
The salad and bread pudding was the best part.
The bread pudding is what I'm looking forward to the most!!

We have been many times. For a while it was lacking...food quality and service. We were going every trip but after a few bad visits we removed it from our must do list. Dec 2013 was one of our last bad visits. We always had TIW card and would tell the server right at the beginning, when they asked if we were on a DP, and I suspected that was the reason for the crappy service....tip is automatically added when using TIW.

Anyway...we finally went back this past May and did not have TIW. We had a fantastic meal with great service. So we just went again...on Jan 5. And had even better service this time. I didn't tell him I had TIW until the end. We have it booked again for March. The only thing bad about the food is the use of thigh meat for the chicken. So I eat a lot of the steak...and noodles, potstickers,salad and bread pudding. With lots of peanut sauce.

Last edited:

I've been twice and both times the food was really good. I've never eaten super late at night, maybe try for an earlier reservation next time? I also notice when I request something specific that they don't normally bring (I ask for the noodles alone because I love them so much) and they come out really hot and fresh

We eat there twice every vacation and only once did we have an issue. A cleaner left a cart next to our table. The manager came by apologized and tried to comp (unsuccessfully) our meal. I love the chicken there they use thigh meat because all of the flavor in chicken comes from the dark meat. We did have something funny happen there thou. On our 1st trip we had a waiter with a thick Cuban accent and at 1st very friendly. He kept pushing booze which we declined. His accent and his attitude took a walk. Then an older couple came in and kept ordering booze. Every time he brought them drinks we cornered him for what we needed.

I've always had great experiences at Ohana for dinner. I can't say the same for breakfast, it's hit or miss at breakfast.

We dined there this past September. The food and the service were totally on point, but we ran into some issues with a couple of drinks. The mistakes were corrected to our satisfaction, and overall, it was a wonderful meal.

Ohana is our favorite family restaurant at WDW. We dine there every trip, and I’ve never been served bad food. Service and now the bar—well, those can be dicey. But I love the place and the Lapu Lapu (which wasn’t one of our bum drinks last fall).

Uh oh. I’m very upset reading this as our first trip is in March and ‘Ohana dinner is the meal
I’m looking forward to the most.

I've only been for dinner once, but it was the best meal of our trip! We both decided that it was the meal that we would hands down do again next time we go. Hopefully we have the same experience next time!

We have had dinner three times and loved the food all three times, we hope the fourth time is also good in February.

Our one dinner in 2012 was...fine. Long wait to be seated, per the usual. Rushed, platters of food that we didn't have time to eat before they came to give us more but, most of it was cooked decently. A volume eater would certainly appreciate it. Service was eh, not great but not awful.

I don't like bananas, especially cooked, and don't have much of a sweet tooth. The dessert there isn't for me. The family likes Raglan Rd's bread pudding better.

If you've never been, it's worth it to try once.

Just like every other Disney restaurant, I find 'Ohana to be hit or miss. We ate there for the first time in March of 2014. It was amazing...so much so that I spent the remained of our trip looking for another reservation. We ate there for a second time that trip and it was just as amazing.
Went back in April of 2015, same thing. Amazing. Great service and delicious food.
Then we went in October 2015 with all of our family after we had been raving about it for a while. Very very subpar. Scattered service, cold food. Just not worth what we paid. Very disappointed.
Then we were fortunate enough to be invited to the Poly Club lounge to have the Feast with some friends who were staying there and had credits to burn. Service wasn't a factor obviously, but food was again delicious.
I'm torn on if we will go back for our next trip later this year.
It's expensive. I wouldn't mind if I knew we would get good food. I figure there is about a 50/50 chance.

We tried Ohana in 2016. We had read all the raves and finally was able to snag a reservation. We were seated in the middle next to a big column or something. Wasn’t a great table at all. We were not impressed with the food. The bread and potstickers were good, but the meats served were cold and tough. Plus we really felt rushed.

We look at it as a bucket list check off. I now every place can have an off night, but we just don’t want take a chance on it being sub par to ever book again. :sad2:

I think Ohana is very hit or miss. When we went, the food was mostly enjoyable but
the service was not good. extremely rushed and impersonal, like others have said

I understand that its a very popular restaurant, so when it gets very busy and reservations start
getting backed up, they try and speed up the service to turn the tables faster.
Understandable, but it sucks to be on the receiving end of that.

We have had good luck with the food quality, but the last time they went (December) my sons said that one guy came around with the skewers and just dumped either a half or whole skewer of several items on their plates and ran off. It was more than enough food but who wants to be served like that?

We ate there twice in August and had wonderful meals both times. Second time with my brother and family and they quickly understood why we love it so much.

Been going there for 8+ years now. Sometimes the food is not as good as I like but ordering a new serving usually solves that issue. One meal we didn't care for the first serving of steak. We asked for another one and it so incredibly yummy, we ate our weight in steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter