Is Pixar Pal-A-Round (Mickeys Fun Wheel) Scary?

Rebecca Pocahontas

Mouseketeer
I am going to Disneyland for the first time and I would like to ride everything at least once, however I am pretty terrified of heights. I am able to go on every ride in WDW in Florida but they don't have a giant ferris wheel. I haven't been on a ferris wheel in at least 15 years, mostly because I don't go to places that have ferris wheels, but also because I don't like being up really high in a stationary place for a long time. So is California Adventure's ferris wheel scary? Which one is better to ride, the stationary of the moving seats? How long does this ride take?

Thanks!

My children still tell the story of how the moving cabins terrified them when they were younger (7 years ago lol) and they are not scared of heights :stitch2:

The stationary side is very mild. But it does go up high and stops briefly sometimes while they load and unload.

Don't do the moving gondola side. I personally don't think it's anywhere as bad as everyone says. We love it. But given your fears, I think it's best for you to avoid at least the moving cars.

My adult daughter will ride EVERY ride in the park (SM, Screamin/Incredicoaster, BTMRR, GOTG, etc) EXCEPT for this ride. For some reason this ride is scary to her and she's not afraid of heights. We did the stationary one and she said never again.

I have a fear of heights but I do ride the Ferris wheel. The only time I am a bit fearful is when we stop at the very top. But you are only there for a minute while they load more people, and the view is wonderful. I would never ride the moving gondolas because just watching them makes me sick.

I love Screamin' (Incredicoaster) and other tall coasters. Love Guardians. HATE that darn Ferris wheel. LOL! I am not even a fan of the stationary cars, but the moving cars are AWFUL. There is a reason it is known as Mickey's Wheel of Death around here.

If you want to ride it, go for the stationary cars. Then it is just the slow up and down of a large Ferris wheel. It does provide a very good view. It is slow loading and unloading and often only goes around once in between, though sometimes twice.

Also, you’re not just belted in but in an actual cage, which always makes me feel relatively safe in the stationary gondolas, even when all the way up. I love getting the birds’ eye view when riding it.

I rode the swinging gondolas a few years ago and was absolutely terrified. I rode them again last year & was incredibly surprised that I didn’t experience them to be as scary as I remembered. One factor for me seems to be on which side I sit. In one direction I can see the swinging being about to kick in & mentally prepare myself. In the other direction, it catches me by surprise.

The stationary cars are fine, but I am not afraid of heights. Those swinging cars almost did me in, I have never been so terrified on a ride before, I was glued to the side of the cage the whole time, never again!

I did it for the first time at the pier opening day. The stationary car was fine. However, I am not scared of heights. I actually found it pretty relaxing. The stationary ones go higher than the swinging ones, so even though it is more tame, it could scare someone who has a fear of heights.

One day I'll try the swinging ones...

After Reading all those post I think I really wanna try out those moving gondolas...

If you do the stationary gondolas it is just like any “regular” Ferris wheel... I think it really depends what you need to feel comfortable being up there or what is a problem for you...

I wouldn't say they're scary, but if you get motion sickness...well, let's just say, at least when it was Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death at least, they provided barf bags in each moving gondola for a reason.

The swinging ones are definitely scary/thrilling. Our family affectionately calls it Freaky Ferris. I think it’s a bit of a mind game on whether or not it will be scary for you. Maybe figuring out which part of being up high scares you will help you determine if you can do it or not. For example, I really really do not like those sky seats that go across parks (none at DL) because it seems too easy for a kid to fall out. But the totally enclosed cage of the Pixar Ferris wheel makes me feel safer. My fear of heights centers around myself or my kids falling. (Like off a cliff edge, etc) I happen to love thrills so we do the swinging side.

The only time I rode was in a moving car. I had on a sundress made of very smooth, slick fabric. I kept slipping out of the bench. Being short, it was difficult to keep myself stationary by planting my feet on the ground. I had to brace myself with my foot on the opposite side of the car. Unfortunately, there were some young girls across from us. I was just like sorry, I really don't want to fall into your lap. I am going to try it again in about a week. I think relaxing is the key.

The moving ones terrified me! I screamed more for that than anything in my life! And I love coasters and thrill rides.

It didn’t make me feel sick (the barf bags had me worried), but I was scared. My kids laughed at me.

The swinging cars might be my favorite ride in either of the parks. DD and I love them! DH does not!

I really enjoy this attraction, and personally, think it's pretty tame. However, if you are afraid of heights, I recommend not going on it.
I have pictures somewhere, but since I can't find them I'm posting from the web:

upload_2018-7-8_20-9-58.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!