Is regular / non-discounted AirMiles WDW ticket upgradable?

MoreTravels

Mouseketeer
Currently, Air Miles carry normal WDW admission tickets, at 5400 miles / 7 days. I understand the previous discounted one cannot be bridged? How about the current ones? Has anyone tried it yet? Thanks.

Currently, Air Miles carry normal WDW admission tickets, at 5400 miles / 7 days. I understand the previous discounted one cannot be bridged? How about the current ones? Has anyone tried it yet? Thanks.
Yup, any ticket media is "upgradable" (is that a word?!) because Disney would LOVE to take more money from us!!

simple math to use, just take the price of the current ticket you have in hand and subtract it from the current gate price of the ticket you want.

The word that is used here "Bridging" no longer applies since Disney is able to track the exact price of the tickets when they were sold & the CDN discounted tickets never had any different value and never will, doesn't matter how you "bought them". This is why people talk about them not being able to upgrade when what they really mean is they will lose the discount they received on the initial ticket purchase.

The current tickets AM is supplying have the same dollar value as tickets at the gate so adding anything to them is pretty simple math.

So on a previous thread I asked a similar question. By all calculations it 'should' cost me and extra $70 and change to add a day to my airmiles ticket from 2014. I called wdw ticket services and she quoted me $10.65 - so I wrote down her name, time, date that I called - hoping guest services will honor the agents 'quote' but fully prepared to pay the higher price. Might be worth the phone call!

So on a previous thread I asked a similar question. By all calculations it 'should' cost me and extra $70 and change to add a day to my airmiles ticket from 2014. I called wdw ticket services and she quoted me $10.65 - so I wrote down her name, time, date that I called - hoping guest services will honor the agents 'quote' but fully prepared to pay the higher price. Might be worth the phone call!
You can never really trust the info provided by phone agents ... they seem to have either a TON of info that is correct or an equally large amount of info that is waaay off base. The $10 you were quoted is based on today's pricing of tickets .. the 5 day ticket (I think that's what you have??) is $395 and the 6 day is $405 so the agent missed the part of the tickets being *bought* in 2014. You can always try to have that quote honoured and you might get lucky but i wouldn't count on it (but the Duck has been wrong more than a few times :P )

If your ticket is from 2014 you will (likely) need to bring the ticket from pre 2017 prices up to todays price and then do the upgrade you are interested in. Being able to just pay for the upgrade would mean that they are still "Bridging" and they definitely aren't doing that anymore. You may get lucky and find a CM who is willing to give you a break but I wouldn't count on it.

Is there any way that the air miles tickets can be upgraded in advance? If we get 5 day tickets but want to upgrade to 7 day parkhoppers, can we call WDW and do it in advance so that fastpasses can be made for all 7 days instead of just 5?

It can only be done once you're there. That's the one downside to AM tickets (or any other 3rd party reseller). It's not necessarily the end of the world. Make all your hard to get FP for the first 5 days. You will still be able to get decent FP once you have done your upgrade.

It can only be done once you're there. That's the one downside to AM tickets (or any other 3rd party reseller). It's not necessarily the end of the world. Make all your hard to get FP for the first 5 days. You will still be able to get decent FP once you have done your upgrade.

That's what I figured. I'm going to try to get enough for the 7 day passes but I might not quite have enough.

It's not completely accurate to say that price bridging is entirely a thing of the past, but it is true that bridging only happens now in a very limited form. By dating tickets, Disney has put a ceiling on the value of those tickets, so that bridging now only applies up to the value of that ceiling.

For tickets purchased from a reseller prior to the introduction of expiration dates in early 2017, tickets can be bridged up to their value in 2016. Newer tickets can be bridged to their value at the time of expiration.

So if I had a ticket bought from a reseller in 2010, that ticket should be valued at its 2016 price on an upgrade. A ticket bought now from a reseller at, say, $50 below Disney's advance purchase price price, will still be valued at the advance purchase price on an upgrade (ie. you will not lose the reseller discount).

Note that bridging does not (and never did) apply to tickets purchased directly from Disney (so if you have tickets bought from Disney in 2005 and you want to upgrade them you'll pay the full difference between what you paid for the ticket in 2005 and the cost of the upgraded ticket today) or to tickets discounted by Disney (ie. Canadian Resident tickets).

Source: Robo's "Ticket Sticky" on the strategies board.

It's not completely accurate to say that price bridging is entirely a thing of the past, but it is true that bridging only happens now in a very limited form. By dating tickets, Disney has put a ceiling on the value of those tickets, so that bridging now only applies up to the value of that ceiling.

For tickets purchased from a reseller prior to the introduction of expiration dates in early 2017, tickets can be bridged up to their value in 2016. Newer tickets can be bridged to their value at the time of expiration.

So if I had a ticket bought from a reseller in 2010, that ticket should be valued at its 2016 price on an upgrade. A ticket bought now from a reseller at, say, $50 below Disney's advance purchase price price, will still be valued at the advance purchase price on an upgrade (ie. you will not lose the reseller discount).

Note that bridging does not (and never did) apply to tickets purchased directly from Disney (so if you have tickets bought from Disney in 2005 and you want to upgrade them you'll pay the full difference between what you paid for the ticket in 2005 and the cost of the upgraded ticket today) or to tickets discounted by Disney (ie. Canadian Resident tickets).

Yes but AirMiles/LoyaltyOne is considered a reseller just like any other. They buy the tickets from Disney. Disney knows how much LoyaltyOne paid for them. LoyaltyOne passes these tickets onto members of the AM program. EVEN if you happen to have an older AM-obtained ticket lying around, Disney can look it up, see how much LoyaltyOne was charged for the ticket, and charge YOU the difference.

Robo's information is awesome but it doesn't apply to all situations. And it certainly never considers the FAQ from a Canadian perspective. ;)

Yes but AirMiles/LoyaltyOne is considered a reseller just like any other. They buy the tickets from Disney. Disney knows how much LoyaltyOne paid for them. LoyaltyOne passes these tickets onto members of the AM program. EVEN if you happen to have an older AM-obtained ticket lying around, Disney can look it up, see how much LoyaltyOne was charged for the ticket, and charge YOU the difference.

Robo's information is awesome but it doesn't apply to all situations. And it certainly never considers the FAQ from a Canadian perspective. ;)

I don't want to be argumentative; I was really just trying to make sure anyone reading this thread who is unfamiliar with the background wouldn't be misled.

Yes, AirMiles is a reseller like any other. This means that the poster upthread who has a 2014 ticket obtained from AirMiles can expect the ticket to be price-bridged to 2016 prices before paying the upgrade. And a 2018 ticket from AirMiles will be valued at current prices, regardless of what LoyaltyOne paid to obtain it.

The exception are Canadian Resident tickets, which were discounted by Disney, and therefore will be valued at the Canadian Resident rate.

At least, that's how I understand it, and is consistent with any information I've seen anywhere on this site (Canadian board or otherwise); notwithstanding Disney's known inconsistencies in applying their own policies, of course!

Last edited:

Well phrased explanation. I was just too lazy to go into all the details as it also comes down to the whim of the cast member doing the upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!