Is Space Mountain still a rough/jerky ride?

skysmom99

Queen of my Castle
I haven't been on Space Mountain since our 2014 trip. It was so rough no one in our group enjoyed it, so we skipped it our last trip. However, I really want to try it again if if has gotten better. If it's the same, I won't bother, since I'm sure I can find something else to do. 😉

I don't ride it, but my 13-year-old, very active, athletic daughter just told me yesterday that it's too hard on her back and she's skipping it this year!

Did I just get old and that's why I find it so rough on my body - or was it always that way? My childhood memory of it was that it was fast and while full of momentum - not a rough ride. Or has the ride just aged?

Not exactly a rousing round of support for Space Mt. Hmmm... Let me think. I could use a good rib bruising, but nah. I think we'll go with something else.

If it were an outdoor or lights on coaster, I do not think it would be much rougher than say BTM or similar. But not being able to see where you’re going makes it hard to impossible to move with the track so that makes it more jerky. If that makes sense,

Did I just get old and that's why I find it so rough on my body - or was it always that way? My childhood memory of it was that it was fast and while full of momentum - not a rough ride. Or has the ride just aged?
The top speed is only 28mph. It just feels fast because it's so jerky.

I think that the taller you are, the worse it is. The feeling that you're going to hit your head makes you tense up, which makes you more likely to hurt yourself

If it were an outdoor or lights on coaster, I do not think it would be much rougher than say BTM or similar. But not being able to see where you’re going makes it hard to impossible to move with the track so that makes it more jerky. If that makes sense,

Interesting thought.

I've been on it 3-4 times with the lights on ... and it's actually scary then. I think you are right in that when you can see you do the leans in the right directions ... but the ability to see creates the fear of hitting something or the little cars coming off on a turn are 😲

To OP: YES YES YES to very jerky. I think its much worse since the last "rehab".

You can have that basic experience on Matterhorn at Disneyland. And it is NO better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter