Is the upgrade to Royal Pacific at Christmas worth it??

Sinders99

Mouseketeer
Hi fellow Dis'ers. My husband and I are considering staying at a Universal Orlando resort 24 Dec-30 Dec 2020.

We're considering either Cabana Bay or Royal Pacific but there's a big jump in price between the two. Apart from the added ammenities and the increased transport options the biggest benefit of Royal Pacific is the Front of Line Pass included when you purchase the accomodation + tickets package. Is it worth the almost $1,700 price jump for that Front of Line Pass over the Christmas period???

Not really sure what crowds are like during this period at Universal or what to expect. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh my goodness......that time of year you will want Express Pass.

It’s the one of a couple of times of year even EP lines will be longer than usual......but still less than the regular lines will be......they will be horrendous! That week is one of the busiest of the year. So, yes, the upgrade cost will be worth it.

You don‘t need to buy a package to get EP. Booking RPR through anyone, whether it be direct or through a third party you automatically get EP just by staying there. I’m sure you know that but by the wording you used I wanted to make sure you did know :thumbsup2

Oh my goodness......that time of year you will want Express Pass.

It’s the one of a couple of times of year even EP lines will be longer than usual......but still less than the regular lines will be......they will be horrendous! That week is one of the busiest of the year. So, yes, the upgrade cost will be worth it.

You don‘t need to buy a package to get EP. Booking RPR through anyone, whether it be direct or through a third party you automatically get EP just by staying there. I’m sure you know that but by the wording you used I wanted to make sure you did know :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for your response. I actually didn't realise you could book through other means but I'll look into this now. If I use someone like booking.com though I obviously need to arrange tickets but am not sure the best option? Sorry am a Disneyworld expert but a Universal Novice.

We figured that Universal would be just as busy as Disneyworld at that time of year but Disneyworld doesn't offer anything like the front of line pass so we thought we'd be better off spending that super busy period at Universal and taking advantage of the pass.

Do you know what kinds of waits we can expect at that time of year? Have only ever spent 2 days at Universal on our previous 2 trips.

Thanks so much for your response. I actually didn't realise you could book through other means but I'll look into this now. If I use someone like booking.com though I obviously need to arrange tickets but am not sure the best option? Sorry am a Disneyworld expert but a Universal Novice.

We figured that Universal would be just as busy as Disneyworld at that time of year but Disneyworld doesn't offer anything like the front of line pass so we thought we'd be better off spending that super busy period at Universal and taking advantage of the pass.

Do you know what kinds of waits we can expect at that time of year? Have only ever spent 2 days at Universal on our previous 2 trips.

You can book the hotel through Loews, Universal, Booking.com any other agency and you`ll still get EP. You can buy your tickets from anywhere. Some recommend Undercover Tourist and some buy from Universal. There are a host of ticket vendors. We have an AP so maybe others can pipe in with who they recommend.

Booking with Loews/Universal gives you a 5 day free cancellation window if need be. I have no clue how other agencies work.

Packages aren't always the best or cheapest options. Look to do tickets and hotel separately and find the best price for you. Have a check of the Stay more Save More rate and there is an AP rate if you have one, although AP rates aren't always available. There are dedicated threads for AP deals on here and one for what people have paid and will pay.

Read some of the stickies and posts here, there is a wealth of information around on any given subject. Most are in the stickies at the top of the boards.

As for waits......I`ve never been Christmas week, but from folks who have been they all report very long waits for everything, including restaurants and bathrooms too. But, as bad as that sounds, many go back the same time every year :thumbsup2

It seems unanimous that the extra money for the EP is well worth it but it seems I really need to study up on touring the parks and strategy. It's taken me several years of WDW trips to earn my expert level planning ears so it's very strange to be completely in the dark for a park visit.

I've extended my Touring Plans subscription to include Universal as I've found them to be an excellent resource for WDW and I'm sure their Universal resources are just as good.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan but after our initial visit back in 2016 we've not been back for some strange reason.

Aside from the EP pass, we love the location of Royal Pacific. A short walk and you are at City Walk and the gate for IOA. There are lots of dining options at the resort as well. Since you are familiar with Disney - the resort is closest in theme to Poly BUT a lot more towards the luxury end. It's a beautiful resort and I don't think you will be disappointed.

It seems unanimous that the extra money for the EP is well worth it but it seems I really need to study up on touring the parks and strategy. It's taken me several years of WDW trips to earn my expert level planning ears so it's very strange to be completely in the dark for a park visit.

Your strategy will only be needed for the Hagrid motorbike ride, and that might be smoothed out by next winter.

Oh and if you don’t have a big-but-small-enough kid you won’t be riding pteranodon flyers.

Apart from those, you’re at expert level already by having the unlimited express pass from the hotel stay. Walk up to a line. Go to the EP line. They scan your room keys. You get a shorter wait. Repeat all day every day.

FYI it’s not a front of line pass. It’s express pass (and the one with the deluxe resort stay is unlimited, meaning you can literally go on the same ride over and over all day if you want.) It’s a shorter wait, but not no wait.

Just like at Disney, “front of the line” type passes are reserved for people on WISH trips.

The following link will let you see prices via Loews with the APH rate (if available): https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...promo=aph&iata=&group=&hotels=&ada=0&currid=0

I recommend bookmarking that link and check periodically (I check daily). The APH rates usually come out a couple of months before the actual date. If you can get an APH rate, it will save you quite a bit of money at any of the Loews hotels. I always book directly with Loews as early as possible, and re-book if a better rate/room/hotel becomes available. Not sure how many packages allow you to do that easily. Because of the blockout dates, you would need at least one Preferred Pass, the other tickets could be regular. The extra benefit of the Preferred Pass is the discounts at many shops and restaurants.

As others have said, you don't really need a touring plan for Universal, especially with Express Passes. Just show up and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!