Is there better days at DL then others?

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
Curious if certain days are better at the parks or not? Or is it just based on the time of year and it doesn't matter if you go a Saturday or a Tuesday? Granted there are no special events or anything going on. Looking at June again. ( gotta convince the DH) Probably heading there sometime between the 17th and 20th but trying to find out if weekends are better or stick to weekdays.

Recently mondays have been the busiest whenever I visit. In general, the weekdays are less busy than the weekends (especially in the mornings).

I was looking at isitpacked and I know that those aren't always accurate but the week Im looking at says "Hey its alright" and underneath Fri, Sat and Sun (19th-21st) it says Best bet. So it got me thinking if for some reason in DL weekends were better than weekdays?

Mondays should be avoided....Wednesdays should be experienced....ROTR may have an influence on June weekends.

Ok so disregard the days that say best best on the isitpacked website and just stick with that week since its a good time and grad nights are over and ap blockouts have started. :) We hopefully will do three days with two days of other CA fun. So I'll try and schedule DL and DCA days accordingly.

Ok so disregard the days that say best best on the isitpacked website and just stick with that week since its a good time and grad nights are over and ap blockouts have started. :) We hopefully will do three days with two days of other CA fun. So I'll try and schedule DL and DCA days accordingly.
The weekends in June (or summer in general, avoiding holidays, up until about the third week or so of August) are considered pretty good because of the lower AP blockout. That blockout really makes a noticeable difference in how busy the parks are. Keep an eye on that Blockout Calendar -- Sundays can be a bit busier if some lower APs are allowed in -- the blockout split can mean that DCA can be busier on some days and DL a bit less busy. As noted by many people, Mondays are consistently busy no matter what (some Mondays more than others). Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be pretty good. Mornings are usually pretty/very good, but the ROTR Boarding Group process is already having an effect there. Keep an eye on the ROTR Superthread to see what happens, especially in the weeks before your trip.

The weekends in June (or summer in general, avoiding holidays, up until about the third week or so of August) are considered pretty good because of the lower AP blockout. That blockout really makes a noticeable difference in how busy the parks are. Keep an eye on that Blockout Calendar -- Sundays can be a bit busier if some lower APs are allowed in -- the blockout split can mean that DCA can be busier on some days and DL a bit less busy. As noted by many people, Mondays are consistently busy no matter what (some Mondays more than others). Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be pretty good. Mornings are usually pretty/very good, but the ROTR Boarding Group process is already having an effect there. Keep an eye on the ROTR Superthread to see what happens, especially in the weeks before your trip.

well crap now I’m more confused. Haha. I know I’m over thinking I just want it to be a great trip, too many times we’ve gone to WDW on lower crowds and it was horrible meaning we couldn’t even walk. So you seem to be knowledgeable and help me a lot 😀 from June 18th to 25th which days would you go? Were pretty flexible when we can fly in and come back. My thoughts we’d get to CA mid morning, do whatever resort time DTD then the next day either no parks depending on the day, then do each park back to back and then have an off day then another park day. Thanks!!!!

Also if we wait till the 19th three pass types are blocked out completely then flex is reservation and only signature and plus can go. So maybe it won’t matter wknd vs wk?

We aren’t locals but from our trips we’ve noticed Mondays are bad. They’re busy and the park is open for shorter hours. Weekends may be a bit busier than weekdays in general but the parks are open longer and you can see the fireworks. Maxpass makes the parks doable even on busier says. The last time we were there were busy days, F and Sat during Halloween. We went for just a few hours Friday but got on 9 rides, had a leisurely lunch, went in most the shops, explored galaxy’s edge etc. Saturday we did 16 rides, again on a busy day, plus we took a mid day hotel break. If you’re there for a few days I’d do thurs-sat or something like that.

well crap now I’m more confused. Haha. I know I’m over thinking I just want it to be a great trip, too many times we’ve gone to WDW on lower crowds and it was horrible meaning we couldn’t even walk. So you seem to be knowledgeable and help me a lot 😀 from June 18th to 25th which days would you go? Were pretty flexible when we can fly in and come back. My thoughts we’d get to CA mid morning, do whatever resort time DTD then the next day either no parks depending on the day, then do each park back to back and then have an off day then another park day. Thanks!!!!
I can't see the future and don't know what events will be going on in the parks on those days, so don't quote me on this. You are responsible for your trip, and the best way to have a great trip at DLR is to have a great attitude, no matter what happens. (Seriously, this is key!) But if June 18th and 25th are your travel dates and you're still planning to stay on site at the GCH, then I would get 5 day hoppers and do Fri., Sat., Sun., Tue., Wed. in the parks and skip Mon. Use Mon. to do a beach day, laundry, maybe the NR Princess Breakfast (that's a long one and deserves more time), etc. With 5 day hoppers and being on site, you'll be able to do early entry at one park or the other every day, pool time every day, do character meals and dining packages for the nighttime entertainment, and maybe fit in some local site seeing, too. With 5 days, crowds won't really be a big issue. You'll have plenty of time to do what you want to get done without rushing. Hit the parks in the mornings before it gets too crowded, leave when the crowds show up, stack FPs for the evening while you lounge by the pool (if you buy MP), then return to the parks in the evening to use those FPs and see a show. No stressing, no rushing. If there are crowds, work around them. If you go into this determined to have a great trip and teach your kids that, too -- why wouldn't you have a great time with your family?

I've been three times at spring break when it's SUPER busy. But we lucked out one busy spring break day when it rained in the morning, and the sun came out later in the afternoon. That kept all the locals at home! A handful of rides were shut down in the AM, but it was HEAVEN having the park to ourselves. Granted, this was 9 years ago, so not sure if rain keeps the locals away anymore!

I guess my point is that there's so many variables! You can plan for non busy days and have a decent chance of that, but who knows? I think if you're prepared for crazy crowds, you won't be as surprised...or grumpy!

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst...deciding what your plan of attack will be for an unexpectedly crowded day will help you feel calmer about planning your trip. Your chosen dates are a sort of transition period where APs are getting in their last days, and summer crowds are just beginning...I know, because my birthday falls around those dates. :) I've experienced nice, light days and some intense crowds, but there's no way to predict when they will happen, especially with ROTR.

That said, I usually avoid Sat. & Mon. as my own personal rule year-round with flights planned to have a full day on Tue/Wed/Thu. The rest of my trip dates are based on hotel prices. Get as much done as you can during the day, and take it easier at night. DL usually has longer park hours around that time, so navigating the crowds isn't as bad as it would be with shorter park hours.

There are more than a few opinions on what makes a perfect day at Disneyland.

It’s been my experience that with higher volume of guests, you get more musical entertainment in the parks, especially during the peak summer months.

In New Orleans Square, you have the Bootstrappers pirate band, Princess Tiana singing Dixieland favorites and the Royal Street Bachelors.

On Main St, in addition to the fairly regular performances of the Dapper Dans, you also have ragtime staples played live from the refreshment corner with the ocassional game of musical chairs happening.

Much of this and other roaming entertainment isn’t happening on lite volume days, and the absence of the energy and joy those performances bring to the park can be noticed.

In the end, a happy medium is what I enjoy. Crowd levels high enough to bring out the extra entertainment and add to the energy of the park, but not so large that Pinocchio’s Daring Journey has gotten up to an hour wait time or POTC is steadily over an hour.

I can't see the future and don't know what events will be going on in the parks on those days, so don't quote me on this. You are responsible for your trip, and the best way to have a great trip at DLR is to have a great attitude, no matter what happens. (Seriously, this is key!) But if June 18th and 25th are your travel dates and you're still planning to stay on site at the GCH, then I would get 5 day hoppers and do Fri., Sat., Sun., Tue., Wed. in the parks and skip Mon. Use Mon. to do a beach day, laundry, maybe the NR Princess Breakfast (that's a long one and deserves more time), etc. With 5 day hoppers and being on site, you'll be able to do early entry at one park or the other every day, pool time every day, do character meals and dining packages for the nighttime entertainment, and maybe fit in some local site seeing, too. With 5 days, crowds won't really be a big issue. You'll have plenty of time to do what you want to get done without rushing. Hit the parks in the mornings before it gets too crowded, leave when the crowds show up, stack FPs for the evening while you lounge by the pool (if you buy MP), then return to the parks in the evening to use those FPs and see a show. No stressing, no rushing. If there are crowds, work around them. If you go into this determined to have a great trip and teach your kids that, too -- why wouldn't you have a great time with your family?

Thanks so much. We will def have an open mind about crowds. I know how WDW can be so it will be no surprise if its packed. Im just praying for no wall to wall where you can barely move. Because that is no fun at all haha. I am excited about the max pass which I'll need further help on once we actually book. (my dh last night basically said he'd pay for my mom to go in his place this summer) HA! But I'll take it. So basically you say any day but Monday. I think it will just depend on what day we decide to fly in. I am not sure we'd do that many park days. I think we'd only stay 5 nights so I was thinking three park days and then 1 day of doing just something else. Do you think we can do it all in 3? I mean I figured 1 day dedicated to each park then the third day go back to whatever park we need more of. I will get park hoppers too just in case, especially for that last day.

There are more than a few opinions on what makes a perfect day at Disneyland.

It’s been my experience that with higher volume of guests, you get more musical entertainment in the parks, especially during the peak summer months.

In New Orleans Square, you have the Bootstrappers pirate band, Princess Tiana singing Dixieland favorites and the Royal Street Bachelors.

On Main St, in addition to the fairly regular performances of the Dapper Dans, you also have ragtime staples played live from the refreshment corner with the ocassional game of musical chairs happening.

Much of this and other roaming entertainment isn’t happening on lite volume days, and the absence of the energy and joy those performances bring to the park can be noticed.

In the end, a happy medium is what I enjoy. Crowd levels high enough to bring out the extra entertainment and add to the energy of the park, but not so large that Pinocchio’s Daring Journey has gotten up to an hour wait time or POTC is steadily over an hour.

This all makes sense and of course longer hours and more entertainment is better :) I just need to be able to see sidewalk and walk comfortably without people running into me constantly which Ive experienced more than once at WDW.

Thanks so much. We will def have an open mind about crowds. I know how WDW can be so it will be no surprise if its packed. Im just praying for no wall to wall where you can barely move. Because that is no fun at all haha. I am excited about the max pass which I'll need further help on once we actually book. (my dh last night basically said he'd pay for my mom to go in his place this summer) HA! But I'll take it. So basically you say any day but Monday. I think it will just depend on what day we decide to fly in. I am not sure we'd do that many park days. I think we'd only stay 5 nights so I was thinking three park days and then 1 day of doing just something else. Do you think we can do it all in 3? I mean I figured 1 day dedicated to each park then the third day go back to whatever park we need more of. I will get park hoppers too just in case, especially for that last day.
3 days is definitely doable, but since you've been so worried about crowds, I'd do 4 or 5 if possible. You really want the extra time to do the parks at a relaxed pace and to leave whenever the crowds start getting to you, without feeling like you have to rush to get things done because you're running out of time. It would also allow for more site seeing time elsewhere -- and then you could pop into the parks when you return, just to go on a favorite ride or two.
Go over the MP/FP Superthread and keep asking questions there: Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy

3 days is definitely doable, but since you've been so worried about crowds, I'd do 4 or 5 if possible. You really want the extra time to do the parks at a relaxed pace and to leave whenever the crowds start getting to you, without feeling like you have to rush to get things done because you're running out of time. It would also allow for more site seeing time elsewhere -- and then you could pop into the parks when you return, just to go on a favorite ride or two.
Go over the MP/FP Superthread and keep asking questions there: Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy

Thanks! Maybe we can swing a 4 day ticket with hoppers. Like you said take breaks or even do some site seeing after a half day at the parks.

I downloaded the app so i can watch wait times and fp return times even when i'm not there. I also subscribe to Touring Plans so I can look at past years and months and what the crowd levels ended up being that day, etc. and use their lines app. It's really interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter