Issue with Canon ZR60 camcorder

ThurlFan

Grim Ghost
OK, this is odd.

This camcorder is about 2.5 years old. I'm having intermittent failure to capture video. In both the viewfinder and the LCD screen I see very dark, very out of focus images.

I have run through the troubleshooting section of the manual twice and couldn't find a solution. The Canon support website was basically useless.

Here's what I've managed to do in terms of testing/troubleshooting.

1) I can capture video through cable link to external VCR.

2) I can view previously recorded tapes through the viewfinder and LCD.

3) I get the same image on tape as I see in the viewfinder/LCD.

4) The problem occurs with both of my battery packs and when connected to AC power.

5) I replaced the little button battery that serves as the power source for user settings.

I have concluded that it's not a display issue, but rather a capture issue.

The question is, what's going on - and why does the problem come and go?
The camcorder is currently working properly, but I can't rely on it for family memories because I don't ever know when it's going to go wacky on me.

I plan to contact Canon and also a trustworthy local A/V shop for additional info but thought maybe someone here might have experienced something similar.

Anyone? :confused3

My guess, either the CCD is failing and\or overheating or one of the elements in the lense has been knocked out of place. You said it works currently, does it work at any zoom length or only at a certain focal length?

My bet is the CCD. Unfortunately, it's typically more expensive to repair the unit than to just replace it. You may want to consider a extended service policy on your next when if you end up replacing it. They pay for themselves the first time you use it.

When working, it does in fact zoom properly. If, as you suggest, it is the CCD then I may be posting again asking for recommendations.

Actually, I'll probably buy another Canon because I have really enjoyed this one, and with luck the battery packs will work with the new one.

Looking at the big picture, I've more than saved enough money by not buying extended warrantees on all my previous electronics purchases to pay for the new camcorder, so I'm probably not going to go that direction.

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup2

Just contacted my buddy (authorized Canon and Sony service technician), what Lord Athens said is correct. Most probably the CCD is 'dead' (so to speak). He is also correct stating that the repair will cost almost the same (if not more) than buying a new one.

According to Canon guidebook, a CCD repair will cost 3 hours of labour + parts. So based on that math alone it will cost you approx about US$250 to repair (if it is just the CCD and there is nothing else wrong). Considering also that any repair will only have 1 to 3 months warranty, I'd recommend you just to buy a new camcorder. Sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter