It Takes Two, Baby; a 2017 Flower and Garden dining report *NEW dining report!*

It all looks so good. I'm so disappointed to hear it wasn't amazing. We have an ADR here in November…I'll have to think about this more.
I wish it was amazing since everybody else seems to have amazing meals there! But don't cancel your ADR based on our experience, we seem to be the minority. Try it out for yourselves and report back!

I haven't heard about this…what is it?
I was having trouble putting it into words lol so I copied this off the Disney Food Blog:

Inspired by The Edison venue in Los Angeles, this lavish “Industrial Gothic” -style restaurant, bar and nighttime destination is themed to a 1920s-period power plant, recalling an exuberant era of invention and imagination. It will feature classic American food, craft cocktails, and live entertainment including cabaret, music, and palm reading.

I'm curious to see when we go next week if the sign still says opening late 2017, if they've begun building, or what!

Yep! I'm in Corning... we'll have to see how far we are from each other :rolleyes1 I think I just read you're close to Poughkeepsie, which would mean less than 4 hours ;)
Yup I'm about 10 minutes from Poughkeepsie in Wappingers Falls!

Um hi guys :teeth: I know I have our last day to report on, and I know it seems like I've been ignoring this little dining report; I haven't, I swear! It's just that with our upcoming trip that we leave for SATURDAY, and all the busy-ness of summer, and trying to finish my PTR for the aforementioned trip, this has just kind of fallen by the wayside. I'm not gonna lie and say I'll finish up before Sat. because that ain't gonna happen, but if you stick with me I DO promise to finish up as soon as we're back and before I start any type of reports for our August trip.

DEAL? :o
THANKS! :worship:

I hope you guys are all enjoying your summers! Or for those of you not in the Northeast, I hope you enjoyED your summer and are now enjoying your kids being back in school!

Followed by their kalamata olive bread with sea salt butter, which is my favorite bread service on property - but now followed closely by Tiffin's pomegranate bread:

img_6245-jpg.252439

That looks like some GOOD bread!

img_6247-jpg.252441

Steve helped me eat this, not because I didn't want to finish it but because I needed to save room for my entree! The sausage on this is so good, crumbly and has so much taste. I do remove the kale because, well, it's kale. And normally I'm not a fan of cilantro but I do love the cilantro crema. Everything on this flatbread works so well together, even the kale I presume because Steve doesn't remove it form his pieces.

This must be the flatbread we had at Mizner's!! Sooo delicious, and I agree that sausage has really great flavor. I tend to dislike Kale as well, I totally thought it was spinach so I guess I didn't even notice its bitterness.

As for the food, we don't think anything is lacking. We prefer it over Narcoossee's and even Yachtsman ( however Yachtsman is the one place I've had a filet that stands up to Citricos) , but granted we've only been to Yachtsman once. We also way prefer it over CG but have also only been there once and had a less than stellar experience. The one other signature that came close for us is Tiffin's but as we've also only been there once, I have to try it again before I say they're equal :teacher: I want to say try Citricos but just don't blame me if it doesn't live up to my review! And ask for Rony because he's a big tall drink of awesomeness.

Wow! That is a rave review - and the filet looks outstanding as well. I think I'll have to add this to our wishlist. That key lime pie looks fantastic, even if it's not what you thought you'd get!

img_6036-jpg.254299

Weird because it looks like there's a biscuit floating in the top of my cider! Anyway, I loved the cider. I was wishing for a bigger cup. I'd finished this by the time we got to like, France, and I kind of wanted to go back and get another but it was SO hot I couldn't bring myself to walk all the way back there and then turn around and walk back to where I was at that point :rolleyes1 Call me lazy but I decided to look for something else new to drink instead.

YUM. I do wish you could get a small or large in the festival drink sizes.

img_6065-jpg.255472

These were delicious. I wasn't sure about the ham because I've never had ham on my fried green tomatoes before but it went perfectly. Added a nice bit of saltiness to them instead of having to add salt myself, and the breading was light rather than heavy. So far so good!

These look amazing! I've only recently discovered the fried green tomato and I agree that the ham is odd although I can see how it would add a nice saltiness to it.

img_6066-jpg.255489

Look at all that bread crumby goodness! I couldn't remember exactly what people here had said about it other than it was almost heavenly but I expected it to be pretty creamy.

IT WAS NOT

Uhhhh that looks terrible.. ugh!! And dry as all heck.. gross! The two times I have been there, ours did not have breadcrumbs on it. I wonder if they re-did it or make it both ways!?!

img_6069-jpg.255490

Now I might make some of you mad with what I'm about to say and I also might be wrong so feel free to correct me; I'm certainly not a mac and cheese expert. I think this is more of a southern food? So at first I thought maybe in the south, people make and eat their mac and cheese dry, and the reviews I'd read were written by southerners. We thought this was the worst M&C we'd ever had; Kraft is better. NO cheese whatsoever except the barely melted cheese near the top. All we ate was what's missing in the above picture,and when our server asked if we liked it we told her absolutely not and told her it was 100% dry. She just said "ok" and walked away. I can't remember her name but she was a cute young girl with black pigtails and she was from Ga.
I've read a couple more reviews of the mac and cheese since our visit and they were written by folks who live in the south (or at least more south than NY lol) and they said how awesome and creamy their serving was, so there goes my theory of dry southern M&C!! I guess maybe we got a crappy batch. REAL crappy.

Yeah... what a let down. Sorry it didn't really live up to the hype! Mine was definitely creamy and cheesy both times.

That looks like some GOOD bread!
I think Citricos kalamata olive bread is my favorite bread on property!

This must be the flatbread we had at Mizner's!! Sooo delicious, and I agree that sausage has really great flavor.
Pretty sure it is, I remember seeing it in your dining report. the sausage is outstanding!

Wow! That is a rave review -
LOL I think it sounds like I was paid by Citricos to write that! But we truly love it there and don't even consider the accidental key lime dessert a negative. In fact we didn't go there on our trip last week and more than once we lamented that fact. No way will we miss it again!

I think I'll have to add this to our wishlist
Please do, and ask to sit in Rony's section :thumbsup2

These look amazing! I've only recently discovered the fried green tomato and I agree that the ham is odd although I can see how it would add a nice saltiness to it.
It's so hard to find them on any menu around here so I get ridiculously excited when I see them on a menu anywhere! The ham went surprisingly well with the tomatoes. Spoiler alert, I had the fried green tomato sandwich at the Plaza last week - loved it :goodvibes

I fell behind/silently read for a while due to wedding planning and mobile website woes but wanted to pop in and remind you how much I love your reports! Even if Homecoming turned out to be a bust (and is still basically my favorite). We did Art Smith's Atlanta restaurant for my birthday but I think I still give the edge to Homecoming. Have loved seeing your adventures on fb as well and can't wait to read more great installments :-)

What's up guys!! Well, we're a couple days home from our latest trip, and even though I'm still not unpacked and I have tons of work to do, I'm determined to get this baby finished before it becomes a year in the making. So without further ado I give to you...........our last day.

LET'S TRY THIS AGAIN
We'd reached the point of our trip that most of us dread - check out morning. However knowing we were returning in about 3 months made it a little last hard to do; and knowing we were having breakfast at Sanaa again also made it easier! If you remember we ate breakfast there earlier in the week and really enjoyed it, even though the only wildlife we saw was a wittle bunny wabbit. I was hoping to see something else, like maybe a giant scary bullfrog today..............

I started off the most important meal of the day with an order of their banana bread which came with a side of chocolate sauce for dipping:

View attachment 261940

This was SO good. The bread was soft, warm, and had lots of fresh banana flavor. I didn't try the chocolate sauce because because as much as I love chocolate, I don't for some reason enjoy chocolate with bread. Weird, I know.

In addition to my breakfast bread appetizer I again got the waffle we tried the first time, which has a chai cream with it:

View attachment 262110

And as the cream had grown on me the first time since I'm also not a fan of chai, I loved it this time.
Steve tried something new and got the Sunrise Sandwich: Cage-Free eggs served with Bacon and Cheddar on a Croissant:

View attachment 262111

This looks like your typical breakfast croissant sandwich but he said it was way tastier than the one he and Ricky had last Nov. from the Marketplace at the Beach Club.

I'm sad to say we again did not see any animals. However about half way through breakfast I did notice them all in pens WAY way out in the back of the savanna and as we were leaving they were slowly making their way towards us, so I guess there's a particular time they free them and it must be after 10am. Regardless the breakfast food there is great and I highly recommend it if you're staying at Kidani.

Next we were off to our last park of the trip. You all may find it a strange choice but we were hitting up Hollywood Studios, my formerly favorite park. Little spoiler alert if you end up reading my soon-to-be started TR for our August trip we recently returned from, but I cried on more than one occasion at HS this trip, lamenting the park that used to be and will never be again. But that's for another day, today I was happy to see a little bit of Hollywood as we walked up to the tapstiles:

View attachment 262112

I can't remember her name and I'm too lazy to look her up right now, but they were persuading guests to walk a red carpet that was laid out but that didn't make it into my picture. So cute!
We had a couple FP's, I can't remember the times right now but I know they were for RnRC and TOT which we ended up riding more than once. We didn't have any specific lunch plans but didn't have to catch ME until 2; at first we thought we'd take the express bus over to Epcot and hit up a few F&G booths again but it would just be cutting it too close. After a couple rides on TOT we checked the app and found an 11:45 Mama Melrose. We hadn't been there in years so we said what the hell, we'll try it! We had a little time left, lines had grown for most headliners so we went to a ride that sadly no longer exists:

View attachment 262115

I've always loved this part of the ceiling in the GMR and last week I spent many minute staring up at it :sad: Don't get me started now! After we gangstered up we went to check in for lunch and soon I had this lovely glass of sangria in front of me:

View attachment 262116

I don't have any pictures of Steve's beverage which means he probably got a soda. Maybe he thought he was driving the ME bus to MCO?
We also had this placed on the table soon:

View attachment 262119

Mmmm, look at all those spices! The rolls were warm and soft but a little hard on the outside like Italian bread/rolls should be and the dipping oil was superb. It was early since they only start serving lunch at 11:30 so our app came fast: Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-ripened Tomatoes with balsamic drizzle, olive oil, and sweet basil leaves:

View attachment 262120

Again I have to say this was delicious. the tomatoes were fresh, the mozzarella was really good as was the balsamic. This is something we order out often and it didn't disappoint.
For our entrees Steve got the Chicken Parm:

View attachment 262121

Not as big as the chicken parm at Il Mulino which is the size of an adult human head, but still a good size portion. Notice there doesn't appear to be a large amount of sauce which normally would bother me and kind of bother Steve; in this case it didn't. He felt there was just the right amount and that the breading on the chicken was perfectly seasoned, the chicken tender.

For my lunch I got the Wood-grilled Chicken and Penne Pasta with house-made Four-cheese sauce garnished with Pecorino Romano cheese and Parsley:

IMG_6102.JPG

Again not as tasty as anything we've had at Il Mulino (our favorite Italian restaurant on property which is why I keep comparing) but it was still good. Like Steve's the chicken was tender and the sauce had a good taste to it even though for some reason it looks like plastic cheese in this picture. Our server did come back and offer us both more cheese which I gladly accepted because you can never have too much grated cheese on pasta!
After having not been to Mama Melrose in about 5 years and constantly reading mixed reviews, I can say we weren't exactly impressed but were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed our meal.g

We were too full for dessert so we paid our bill and took the sad bus ride back to AKV after watching the "A Galaxy Far, Far Away" stage show for a bit. I even knew who the majority of the characters were, yay me who has never seen a SW movie!! We got back to AKV and passed the time awaiting our our non-magical express by taking a few pictures around the resort:

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG
Pineapple! It's a dining report so this belongs here.

Outside Sanaa

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

Spa water! Also belongs in a dining report. However every resort I've tried spa water in, it tastes yucky :crazy2:

Our plane ride home was uneventful which is really how you want your flights to be. I'm so glad we got to visit the Flower and Garden Festival twice this year! You can bet your a&$ I'll be doing my best to visit at least once next year. Speaking of Epcot festivals, you guys are the first to know since you're the cool kids who read my stuff - Steve and I are going to Food and Wine this year!!! :cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana: I'm so freakin' excited, we haven't done F&W since like, 2010! It's quick trip from 11/4-8 but that's good enough for me. Right now we're booked at the BWI but we'll see if that sticks..............
As always I want to thank each and every one of you for reading along and commenting, you make writing these reports fun! Next up I'm going to start a TR for our just finished August trip and I may or may not do a dining report also. Our meals weren't quite as good as normal unfortunately although we did have a couple really awesome ones mixed in, so just not sure if I'll separate the details or not :scratchin Either way feel free to look for my TR over on the trip reports board and if I do a dining report, I'll post a link here.

'NIGHT, ALL!

Hi guys! Thought I was gone after that awesome wrap up, right? Yeah so did I, until I noticed for whatever reason all my pictures didn't show up :mad: So just to finish this off correctly here are all the ones that didn't come up if you're bored with nothing to do and want to really, really see them:

IMG_6072.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6073.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG_6100.JPG

IMG_6101.JPG

LATER!

I've always loved this part of the ceiling in the GMR and last week I spent many minute staring up at it :sad: Don't get me started now!
I can hardly even talk about this. :sad: I knew I'd be sad... but I'm reallllly sad, and not sure how I'll do when I see the Chinese Theater next week :sad1:

Steve and I are going to Food and Wine this year!!! :cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana: I'm so freakin' excited
YAY!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I did a quick day trip to Epcot a couple years ago on a trip to visit my dad and we hit up F&W but I haven't had a dedicated trip during that time since 2008 :scared1: And with my school semesters as they are, it's unlikely I'll hit it up in the next year or so :sad2: But I can live vicariously through you so yay for that!!! :hyper:

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us! I so enjoy your writing and humor and your updates never disappoint :hug: And your love of Disney radiates throughout :goodvibes

I did really really want to see those pictures! Thanks for going back and posting them and for another great dining report! Looking forward to your TR, though you might have to send up a flare!!

Great dining report! I loved reading along :) Your food looked really good for your last day. Can't wait to read future dining reports from you.

I've always loved this part of the ceiling in the GMR and last week I spent many minute staring up at it :sad: Don't get me started now!

Me too :( (Well liked it, didn't get to stare at it last week).

it looks like plastic cheese in this picture.

It does!

Spa water! Also belongs in a dining report. However every resort I've tried spa water in, it tastes yucky :crazy2:

I call that "fancy water" :rotfl: And I love the one at AKL!

Steve and I are going to Food and Wine this year!!!

:cheer2:

Hi Ariane! Your latest trip report was so fun to read, and I'm looking forward to starting your August one...after you start it...LOL!!!
Our trips in November are going to overlap. Did I tell you we actually booked 2 nights at the Contemporary Resort??? I am sooooooo excited! Perhaps...we can do a Dis meet?????? We will be there from Nov 5-7.

I am doing the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package in a couple of weeks. We have never eaten there . I am not expecting amazing but good will do. ( it has to be better than Hollywood and vine right ?)

I fell behind/silently read for a while due to wedding planning and mobile website woes but wanted to pop in and remind you how much I love your reports!
Aw thanks, that means a lot coming from you Melinda :hug: I'm really glad you stop in when you can.

We did Art Smith's Atlanta restaurant for my birthday but I think I still give the edge to Homecoming.
I hope you enjoyed your birthday dinner anyway! I suppose if I was with someone who REALLY wanted to go to Homecomin' I'd go again (getting the fried green tomatoes wouldn't kill me lol) but that person won't be Steve so I don't know if that'll happen or not lol.

I can hardly even talk about this. :sad: I knew I'd be sad... but I'm reallllly sad, and not sure how I'll do when I see the Chinese Theater next week :sad1:
I knew I'd be sad also but I wasn't prepared for how sad I was. I wasn't prepared for the actual crying I did which of course was followed by teasing from my family :rolleyes: Steve and I had a conversation with a GMR CM one night; she started crying which made me cry and it was quite a scene!

YAY!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I did a quick day trip to Epcot a couple years ago on a trip to visit my dad and we hit up F&W but I haven't had a dedicated trip during that time since 2008 :scared1: And with my school semesters as they are, it's unlikely I'll hit it up in the next year or so :sad2: But I can live vicariously through you so yay for that!!! :hyper:
I'm so happy this is going to occur! With our original Aug. dates we would have been there for the first day. Then when we had to switch for football that wasn't going to happen. Steve was quite PO'd about that so he was determined to hit F&W this year. Who am I to argue :D

Thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us! I so enjoy your writing and humor and your updates never disappoint :hug: And your love of Disney radiates throughout :goodvibes
This comment brought tears to my eyes :goodvibes You are so sweet! I truly appreciate you following my reports and I enjoy following yours too. If I don't manage to get back to yours before you leave, have a wonderful, MAGICAL trip pixiedust:

Looking forward to your TR, though you might have to send up a flare!!
LOL flare will be sent up!

Great dining report! I loved reading along :) Your food looked really good for your last day. Can't wait to read future dining reports from you.
:thanks: I just noticed your most recent report today and began reading, so I'll get back over there soon and comment :thumbsup2

I call that "fancy water" :rotfl: And I love the one at AKL!
:laughing: Steve likes the "fancy water" too!

Hi Ariane! Your latest trip report was so fun to read, and I'm looking forward to starting your August one...after you start it...LOL!!!
Aw, thank you :hug: Hoping to start my TR soon and decide if I'm doing a separate dining report....................

Our trips in November are going to overlap. Did I tell you we actually booked 2 nights at the Contemporary Resort??? I am sooooooo excited! Perhaps...we can do a Dis meet??????
I don't think I knew this but YES to a Dis meet :banana: I haven't figured out any plans yet but I know we'll spend quite a bit of time in Epcot. Are you doing the parks? I should probably just get over to your report and read up lol

I am doing the Mama Melrose Fantasmic package in a couple of weeks. We have never eaten there . I am not expecting amazing but good will do. ( it has to be better than Hollywood and vine right ?)
LOL, we did H&V once for lunch years ago, I think it was 2007 or 2010. It actually wasn't horrible back then but reviews have gotten worse overall so I have to say yes, it's better than H&V! We ate at MM again last week and some dishes weren't quite as good, some were really good, but it was still a good meal :)

Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-ripened Tomatoes with balsamic drizzle, olive oil, and sweet basil leaves:
They never put enough balsamic drizzle on these salads. But it looks delicious. :)

Steve and I are going to Food and Wine this year!!! :cheer2::cheer2::banana::banana: I'm so freakin' excited, we haven't done F&W since like, 2010! It's quick trip from 11/4-8 but that's good enough for me. Right now we're booked at the BWI but we'll see if that sticks..

That is a great time to go to F&W. It will be nice to go without the boys, too, so maybe it is a good thing that the August trip dates changed. :)

I've enjoyed reading your trip report. It's too bad we don't overlap this fall. It was fun to meet you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter