Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

Want to do a positive shout out for our Adventure Guides Casey and Alexa in Italy. This was a September 2018 adults only Italy trip and we "deviated from the script" for a few hours outside of Florence. Alexa advised that because we had been so good at being timely, we were ahead of schedule and we made a surprise stop (maybe it is a regular stop, I don't know - they did have bathrooms...) at the Florence Italy American WWII Cemetery and Memorial. There are about 4400 US Soldiers buried here. The cemetery and grounds are operated by the USA Battle Monuments Commission. This was a very moving and spiritual visit honoring our fallen Americans from WWII. At the conclusion, veterans in our group were invited to retire the colors for the evening.
View attachment 354033

Yes! Our group in June with Natalia and Alexa also made this stop and male military members, active or past, participated in the same way.

Did the vendors offer shipping back to the US? We've transported fragile purchases back from Europe in the past and think we're going to start looking at shipping options in the future.
RebelHawk, I had waited 10 years to return to Orvieto so I could purchase ceramics there. On our first ABD in 2008, I simply did not have the money to make the purchase. This time I purchased 2 items which made the shipping free. However, if I had only shipped one item, the cost for shipping would have been almost the same as the cost of my second piece of ceramics. Six of one and half-dozen of the other, so to speak. I LOVE my casserole (oven proof) piece and the beautiful pasta bowl is a hit wherever I use it. My advice is to decide in advance what you are willing to spend. Some of these items can't be purchased anywhere else.

We stopped there for that also.

Did you also do a few laps round the roundabout to see the "house" where Alexa wants to live?

Want to do a positive shout out for our Adventure Guides Casey and Alexa in Italy. This was a September 2018 adults only Italy trip and we "deviated from the script" for a few hours outside of Florence. Alexa advised that because we had been so good at being timely, we were ahead of schedule and we made a surprise stop (maybe it is a regular stop, I don't know - they did have bathrooms...) at the Florence Italy American WWII Cemetery and Memorial. There are about 4400 US Soldiers buried here. The cemetery and grounds are operated by the USA Battle Monuments Commission. This was a very moving and spiritual visit honoring our fallen Americans from WWII. At the conclusion, veterans in our group were invited to retire the colors for the evening.
View attachment 354033

Sorry about bumping the old thread but I couldn’t find a newer one for the Italy trip. Any suggestions for what to do on the free night in Venice with kids? (Restaurant or whatnot...)

We did an extra day in Venice and ABD arranged a boat to Murano to tour the glass factory. It was "free"... they walk you through the gift shop at the end, and its hard not to buy something, so I feel like that prob makes up for the cost!

Keep in mind water taxis are super expensive, but you can always take the vaperetto from the hotel to St marks and find good restaurants there.

We go to Italy every year OYO, except this year :( We did ABD Italy many years ago. The time in Venice with ABD is very, very short. Most stores close I think around 7pm by the time you're ready to visit them, and seem to revolve around the cruise ship schedules. I would have liked an extra post day just to explore the streets and shop with leisure. I woke up very early on ABD Italy just to run and visit the monuments without crowds in every city we went, even Tuscany. We never got to go inside St. Marks due to timing issues. I would have wanted to see Vitruvian Man by Da Vinci at Gallerie dell’Accademia. I second the Murano tour, although ABD took us to a similar glass show nearby the hotel and I regret not buying something there because I couldn't find that store again on my own. Some of the cheaper glass is suspicious especially if you see it at EVERY store (from China?!), so make sure to look for the authentic murano sticker. What about a fun food tour or cooking class? If you had a post day perhaps a day trip to visit Dolomite mountains? The guides give great restaurant recommendations so definitely ask them.

Sorry about bumping the old thread but I couldn’t find a newer one for the Italy trip. Any suggestions for what to do on the free night in Venice with kids? (Restaurant or whatnot...)

On our 2018 ABD trip we had booked an extra day in Venice for our family. This we spent people watching, shopping and returning to one of the restaurants right down from the hotel for a great meal. Since my DH and I had done this same itinerary in 2008, we knew this extra day would rest us up for the return trip to the states the following day.

We stayed an extra day and spent the day just wandering and exploring and that evening attended an amazing Italian Opera in one of the Doges palaces. It is a "membership" instead of a ticket, probably to avoid the taxes. I am not an opera fan but was blown away. The "set" changes are walking from one room to another in the old building, and the performance is all around you. It was 2018. No idea if it is still around.
Musica a Palazzo Palazzo Barbarigo Minotto Fondamenta Duodo o Barbarigo
S. Marco 2504, Venezia phone (9 am - 7:30 pm): +39 340 97 17 272 |
www.musicapalazzo.com

On our 2018 ABD trip we had booked an extra day in Venice for our family. This we spent people watching, shopping and returning to one of the restaurants right down from the hotel for a great meal. Since my DH and I had done this same itinerary in 2008, we knew this extra day would rest us up for the return trip to the states the following day.
We've added an extra night in Venice. I think I like the idea of leisurely shopping, people watching! You never seem to have that kind of time on an ABD! lol

Thanks for the bump! I booked the May 2021 Adults only trip for DD graduation gift. I had planned on arriving a few days early to go to Amalfi with Simply Amalfi. This is providing I can get the flights to sync etc. Any ideas for what to do in Rome if I cannot make the pre arrival almafi work? Probably just one full day in Rome. I am not TOO adventurous and don't want to go off the beaten path without a guide etc - Food tour? Something private guide driven prior to start of ABD? Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks for the bump! I booked the May 2021 Adults only trip for DD graduation gift. I had planned on arriving a few days early to go to Amalfi with Simply Amalfi. This is providing I can get the flights to sync etc. Any ideas for what to do in Rome if I cannot make the pre arrival almafi work? Probably just one full day in Rome. I am not TOO adventurous and don't want to go off the beaten path without a guide etc - Food tour? Something private guide driven prior to start of ABD? Thanks for the suggestions.
I am a big fan of food tours. They give you a great overview of the city, are usually run by locals, so you get some insight to local customs, too. And almost always a great meal (or two!) Check out Trip Advisor for reviews of local food tours.

Sayhello

Agree with @sayhello, there are many great food tours in Rome, we like Eating Europe and we've done most of theirs in Rome and really love their Trastevere food tour. Taxis are easy to use, lots of taxi stands and you can download an app that can find the nearest one. One of our favorite OYO tours was underground Coliseum and breakfast at the Vatican, but you're going there anyway. I've been to Rome many times so I've tried to do other types of tours in the same locations. Other ideas are Capuchin crypt. There are many museums, but if you're looking for something different we recently enjoyed the night laser light show, we did Caesar and they also have Augustus. We go all over Italy without guides now, but I can see how it is intimidating on your first time. Enjoy!

http://www.viaggioneifori.it/en/

We hired a private car/tour guide to take us to Pompeii and Vesuvius as it was on my DD's bucket list. It was a perfect day trip.

QUOTE="scottmel, post: 61902050, member: 40578"]
[/QUOTE]

On our first ABD (Viva Italia) in 2008 we stayed in the Bernini Bristol in Piazza Barberini, which is pretty much center of the city. Walking to local areas of interest was simple. On our 2018 trip we stayed in the Gran Melia which is further out. Still, we walked down the hill and enjoyed our pre-tour arrival day starting with the Camp D'Fiori. I had read about it but never visited. What a food circus! Meat & Cheese shops, small boutiques in the alleyway. This is an ancient marketplace and worth the visit. Also this Italian adventure was supposed to include Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, but we never got to either place but both of these places were left off on this last trip. This was a disappointment! Everyone should experience Piazza Navona on a Saturday evening!

I strongly suggest to everyone on this itinerary to book a pre and post night for yourself. You will not be sorry.

I’d love restaurant suggestions near the Gran Melia... something kid-friendly and easy to order (we don’t speak Italian and I’m sure we’ll be a little nervous our first days in Italy!) The kids will want to try spaghetti with red sauce and spaghetti carbonara etc. right away. :) Maybe pizza... and we’ll definitely need gelato!

THanks! Do you remember who you used?
You might want to check out Tours by Locals. They are a company where local guides in various cities create and list their own tours. You can read guide bios for experience, history, reviews, language proficiency, etc. Guides set their own prices, and most will offer some degree of customization if asked - ie you see a tour you like, but wish it included or removed something; some gules offer a total customizable option, Tours are all over the spectrum from food to history to art to city to countryside, so many different options. However, need to keep in mind the number of options is determined by the number of registered guides. There is a way to filter the results to help with your searches.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/
Tours by Locals company is an oversight type role - they act as the intermediary for payments and communications, will help resolve issues, guarantee your tour will happen, and have a couple of cancellation options including a cancel for any reason up to 24 hours for an additional fee sort of like insurance. I like the reassurance Tours by Locals offers.

I’ve used them a couple of times since I found them via a travel show - once in Paris and once in New Orleans. Both times I’ve been extremely happy with the guides and the tours. I’m already researching possible tours for pre-nights for a couple of trips in 2021.

You might want to check out Tours by Locals. They are a company where local guides in various cities create and list their own tours. You can read guide bios for experience, history, reviews, language proficiency, etc. Guides set their own prices, and most will offer some degree of customization if asked - ie you see a tour you like, but wish it included or removed something; some gules offer a total customizable option, Tours are all over the spectrum from food to history to art to city to countryside, so many different options. However, need to keep in mind the number of options is determined by the number of registered guides. There is a way to filter the results to help with your searches.

https://www.toursbylocals.com/
Tours by Locals company is an oversight type role - they act as the intermediary for payments and communications, will help resolve issues, guarantee your tour will happen, and have a couple of cancellation options including a cancel for any reason up to 24 hours for an additional fee sort of like insurance. I like the reassurance Tours by Locals offers.

I’ve used them a couple of times since I found them via a travel show - once in Paris and once in New Orleans. Both times I’ve been extremely happy with the guides and the tours. I’m already researching possible tours for pre-nights for a couple of trips in 2021.
Thanks I have used them several times myself and then noticed with some digging you could find that guide but thru their own site and save a fair bit of money. However to your point foreign country acting as go between could be a good idea. thanks for the reminder

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter