Hanging up my running shoes

Great job! You got this!

Thank you!

pssst...I'm SUPER behind in journals so I'm catching up on you today popcorn::

giphy.gif

I've been behind a lot too of late, but glad to see you back and reading!

Also catching up. Wanted to point to a palpable shift in your tone over your last three recaps. Your confidence IS building. You’re beginning to believe (in yourself and in what others are sharing of their plan experiences). You’ve got this, just keep trusting yourself to do it.

Also, I’m one of those people that hates running leading up to and during many runs. My animosity towards it grows when I have other stressors in my life. But I’m also one that’s so happy that I did it when I’m done, and I get angsty when I go too many days without a run. All of that to say, yes, I agree that you should love training runs because you do so many. But it’s ok to have moments where you don’t love it or you’re irritated by it or your stressed about it. You have goals and it’s not always a rosy path, but you’re dedicated and that dedication, even when it’s a mental effort, matters. But you knew that. You’re a runner :).

I do feel more confident, so I'm glad that it seems to be showing. :D And thank you for that. Sometimes when you really get toward the end of a long training session like this, I'm just so OVER it all, but I this is that crucial time when you have to gut it out and trust that it will be worth it!!

On that note...

Today was that Daniels T pace run I was dreading and

It went GREAT! I mean, it was hard, but not like crazy hard and while I was totally ready to be done at the end of it, the truth is I could have kept going if I'd had to. But, I was thankful I didn't have to.

And because I'm happy about it, I'll go ahead and share here, our 2 mile warm up was smooth and easy and then we did our 2x2 miles at Daniels T (9:47 m/m)with a 4 min RI at our easy/LR pace in between and then a 1.5 mile cooldown.

So, the 2x2 miles...

1st 2 miles average pace of 9:23 (oops, too fast and we really were trying to slow down a bit to find the right pace, I promise @DopeyBadger )
2nd 2 miles average pace of 9:30ish (not totally sure because we forgot to pause our watches during the RI but I know the last mile was 9:36 and the mile before that was slightly faster).

We went ahead and stretched out the cool down to get us to an even 8 miles for the morning.

I'm pretty freaking happy about how this run went!!

Yay! I'm so excited that your Daniels T pace run went well! You're doing awesome and I know you guys are going to be super prepared for Chicago!

Yay! I'm so excited that your Daniels T pace run went well! You're doing awesome and I know you guys are going to be super prepared for Chicago!

What an AWESOME t-pace! Solid work!!

Thank you!

Now for this....

HOW ABOUT SOME INJURY PARANOIA FOR YOU?
ithurts.gif

So, for a couple of weeks now, I've been ignoring (or trying to ignore) some pain in my left shin/calf. I honestly think it's just some shin splints from the number of miles we've been running, but given that Chicago is so close, of course some pre-race paranoia has also set in!
tenor.gif

The pain isn't typically so bad that I can't run through it, but it also never completely resolves and it stays sore even when not running. So, of course, I start getting panicky about something more serious than just shin splints but maybe stress fracture or whatever.

I tell you all that to say that we opted to skip our 4.5 mile easy/LR run today. This weekend is our 7 miler/13 miler (with 8 at tempo) and I really don't want to push things so far that I legit hurt myself, so we bailed on the run today.

Good thoughts that it's truly just some shin splints and some extra rest fixes me up!!

giphy.gif

feel-better-gif-tumblr-7.gif

You've got this! Hoping and praying for a speedy recovery. I've been convinced I have a stress fracture in my hip since Thursday, but in reality I know I have not been stressing and recovering like I should!

Oh no! I hope your shin gets its act together and you're back to 100% soon. It's those little nagging things that can really drive a person crazy too... Sending healing vibes you way!

Ice, Ice baby. I have been battling shin splints/stress reactions off & on for over a year now. Icing for 15 minutes a few times a day seems to help. Wearing compression sleeves when running feels good to me too, just adds a little extra support. I also stretch my shins & calves after every run. I've been feeling pretty good this cycle up until a couple days ago when those familiar aches & pains started creeping back in. I'm starting to think my body does not like running 5 days a week, seems to be my downfall.

It concerns me that you say it aches even when you are not running. I think you are smart to take a couple of days off, and if it continues to bother you, you may have to drastically reduce mileage and/or cross train to get you to marathon day.

Sending lots of healing restful vibes your way! Hopefully the rest will help bring you back to 100%!

feel-better-gif-tumblr-7.gif

You've got this! Hoping and praying for a speedy recovery. I've been convinced I have a stress fracture in my hip since Thursday, but in reality I know I have not been stressing and recovering like I should!

Hoping that it turns out to be nothing.

Shins are the WORST. Hoping your pains go away soon! Can't wait to watch you crush it in Chicago!

Oh no! I hope your shin gets its act together and you're back to 100% soon. It's those little nagging things that can really drive a person crazy too... Sending healing vibes you way!

can you foam roll shins :confused3 I have a love/hate relationship with my foam roller.

Ice, Ice baby. I have been battling shin splints/stress reactions off & on for over a year now. Icing for 15 minutes a few times a day seems to help. Wearing compression sleeves when running feels good to me too, just adds a little extra support. I also stretch my shins & calves after every run. I've been feeling pretty good this cycle up until a couple days ago when those familiar aches & pains started creeping back in. I'm starting to think my body does not like running 5 days a week, seems to be my downfall.

It concerns me that you say it aches even when you are not running. I think you are smart to take a couple of days off, and if it continues to bother you, you may have to drastically reduce mileage and/or cross train to get you to marathon day.

Thank you so much, everybody! It's still pretty sore, but again not stopping me from running. Of course, other than anti-inflammatory meds, I'm not exactly doing much to help myself. So, this week, I swear I'm doing some icing and rolling/gentle stretching.

And Now for Another Update!
Xv0tmib.gif

Training Update
9/10/18 - 9/16/18
This was a big week on the schedule with two pretty tough runs. I was more than a little nervous going into this one to see how we would manage it and overall it was pretty good (other than that little nagging shin issue)

Monday 9/10 - 4.5 miles at easy continuous. After my complaining last week about not liking continuous running, I was determined to manage this one better and try to stay positive and I did! Overall pace 10:56.
tumblr_lx8p3xn0DR1r3furv.gif

Tuesday 9/11 - This was that Daniels T pace run I was dreading and I already shared about it above, but it went great. It was certainly challenging, but it's supposed to be right? I was pretty happy to manage to do this run successfully within pace and DIDN"T DIE!! Yay me!
giphy.gif

Wednesday 9/12 - Rest

Thursday 9/13 - Supposed to be a 4.5 miler at easy/LR, but opted to rest that aching shin.
giphy.gif

Friday 9/14 - Rest day

Saturday 9/15 - 7 miles at Easy/LR pace. This was a good run. The leg was still bothering me, but not so much that I felt like I shouldn't run, so on we go....
tiH8j23.gif

Overall pace 11:53. We yo-yo'd for a short time with a man who was also running intervals. He was training for a marathon up in Maine in October. I'll bet that's a gorgeous run!

Sunday 9/16 - This is it, folks! Our longest run before the marathon which was only 13 miles. It still freaks me out a bit that my longest run going into a marathon is 13 miles, but...
tenor.gif

Regardless, though, I was worried a bit about how this one would go. Schedule called for 3 miles at Warm UP + 8 at Marathon Tempo and then 2 Cool down. I wasn't at all sure how that 8 at tempo (avg 10:30 m/m) would feel. Turns out? Pretty darn good! Around 4 miles into the tempo portion, I got a bit discouraged and tired, but some quick fuel and a pep talk from Chris and I felt better soon. Splits on the tempo portion - 10:23, 10:11, 10:11, 10:34, 10:22, 10:27, 10:29, 10:27. Pretty darn consistent there and either right on pace or slightly below.
woohoo-gif-22.gif

I was definitely happy to hit that cool down pace, but also felt that if I'd HAD to do it, I had some more juice left in me to keep going. Hoping that bodes well for Chicago.

So, yeah, I'm happy with the week and now just hopeful that my leg improves some over the next few weeks in anticipation of Chicago. But, I'm feeling nearly ready!
giphy.gif

And now for some WHINE!!
FMV.gif

Today was an 8-mile run with 6 at Marathon Tempo in the middle and it sucked for a multitude of reasons which I shall list below. You may feel free to skip my complaining post, but I just wanted to vent and feel sorry for myself for a short time.

432e06dbab17fc14da853582d9824b7f.gif

Although that gif might be a little bit of an exaggeration.

1. With an 8 mile run to get in before work, we headed out to start running just a bit after 4:30 AM. The T+D was 145. At.4:30.freaking.AM.in.the.middle.of.September.
giphy.gif

2. My shin/calf still hurts. Once I get a few miles in, it gets marginally better, but it's still just not good. But no real time to do anything about it before Chicago, so I'm pushing through.
giphy.gif

3. I have a massive blister between my big toe and second toe that came up during Sunday's run. I had drained it and put a band-aid on it to try and get the skin to re-adhere, but today it came back in full force this time filled with bloody fluid (Sorry, TMI).
giphy.gif

4. After the first couple of miles at tempo I really thought I was going to have to cut the run short. I had sweat just pouring off me and I was miserable and it was a massive struggle and we just had to slow it down some.
giphy.gif

5. But, because Chris just kept ignoring my complaints and I got stubborn we did manage to finish all 8 miles.
giphy.gif

6. The times weren't great, but with a heat-adjusted pace, we actually weren't off by that much, so "Go, Me" I guess? Adjusted tempo pace for today would be 10:51 , so splits were 10:39,10:18, 10:52, 11:28 :( , 11:34, :( , 11:04. So with the exception of tempo miles 4 and 5 (when I totally wanted to quit), we were actually pretty good.

tumblr_nln8xgcerv1tfbtrwo1_400.gif

7. That concludes my melodramatic post.

latest

And now for some WHINE!!
FMV.gif

Today was an 8-mile run with 6 at Marathon Tempo in the middle and it sucked for a multitude of reasons which I shall list below. You may feel free to skip my complaining post, but I just wanted to vent and feel sorry for myself for a short time.

432e06dbab17fc14da853582d9824b7f.gif

Although that gif might be a little bit of an exaggeration.

1. With an 8 mile run to get in before work, we headed out to start running just a bit after 4:30 AM. The T+D was 145. At.4:30.freaking.AM.in.the.middle.of.September.
giphy.gif

2. My shin/calf still hurts. Once I get a few miles in, it gets marginally better, but it's still just not good. But no real time to do anything about it before Chicago, so I'm pushing through.
giphy.gif

3. I have a massive blister between my big toe and second toe that came up during Sunday's run. I had drained it and put a band-aid on it to try and get the skin to re-adhere, but today it came back in full force this time filled with bloody fluid (Sorry, TMI).
giphy.gif

4. After the first couple of miles at tempo I really thought I was going to have to cut the run short. I had sweat just pouring off me and I was miserable and it was a massive struggle and we just had to slow it down some.
giphy.gif

5. But, because Chris just kept ignoring my complaints and I got stubborn we did manage to finish all 8 miles.
giphy.gif

6. The times weren't great, but with a heat-adjusted pace, we actually weren't off by that much, so "Go, Me" I guess? Adjusted tempo pace for today would be 10:51 , so splits were 10:39,10:18, 10:52, 11:28 :( , 11:34, :( , 11:04. So with the exception of tempo miles 4 and 5 (when I totally wanted to quit), we were actually pretty good.

tumblr_nln8xgcerv1tfbtrwo1_400.gif

7. That concludes my melodramatic post.

latest

fb44585afe8d61ed56d2605ec645af7f.jpg

Girl I feel you! Sunday's run was a buffet of suck for me. You let out your Waaaaah. Then ball up the waaah and drop kick it out the window. Real angry like.
I've got a bunch of tempo miles on my plate for tonight so I'll stop by and pick up your waaaah ball around 9pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!