It's called the Baltic for a reason - a Northern Europe trip report 2017 - complete 6/18

So it was dinner time ... and we really didn't feel hungry ... we'd woken late, eaten a buffet breakfast and pool food and dinner was 6pm. (which was 2 hours ahead for our body clocks which were still adjusting. Plus, it was formal night ... and I'd forgotten my shoes ... the only thing I had with me that wasn't trainers/sneakers was the very casual shoes you can see in the pictures with Olaf. So we decided to skip dinner - I called into the dining room and told the head server - I didn't want them wondering where we were especially as we had Palo booked for the following night.

So later one we headed up to Cabanas ... turned out they were serving the Animators Palate menu (remember where we ate last night?!) but actually it was good as I got the truffle pasta pursettes which I'd considered the night before, and managed to grab a cookies and cream sundae

View attachment 243374

It was lovely, they seated us by the window, our waiter was really friendly and we had a quiet, peaceful meal.

We then headed down to the After Hours district, took a few porthole pictures

View attachment 243377

View attachment 243378

and headed into O'Gills to play some tv trivia

View attachment 243380

we then went to see Twiced Charmed, we'd skipped it the last cruise but I was glad we made the effort tonight ... I enjoyed the re-vamped version very much

After the show we went for a walk on deck four and the sun was setting

View attachment 243382

Eventually we made it back to the cabin to this - not 100% sure what he is??!

View attachment 243383

So that was our day at sea ... tomorrow we finally get to a port ... Tallin, Estonia
Is formal night really that strict? First time cruiser asking...

so it was the final morning :( the one good thing about having to get your luggage out the night before is you're not frantically packing on the final morning!

We had breakfast in Cabana's which wasn't at all busy, and strolled off the ship around 8am. There was no queue, no need to disembark by group (in fairness I've only cruised in Europe and this has been my experience on all of them - just leave when you want - I'm sure not having to deal with customs has a major impact on that). Grabbed our luggage in the terminal and walked straight into a cab.

We had a dilemma that morning, as I'd said, our flight wasn't due to leave until 4.20pm, and it was forecast to rain all day. In the end we got a cab to the train station in the city centre and got the train back to the airport. We'd researched that there were luggage lockers at the airport (our budget airline doesn't usually allow you to check luggage in way in advance (Paris for example has a 2 hour before limit). So we stashed the luggage in two lockers and walked to the National Aquarium of Denmark - approximately a 20 minute walk away. We could have caught a free shuttle bus there, but the aquarium didn't open till 10am and it was only just got 9am at this point!

The aquarium looked great on it's website https://denblaaplanet.dk/en/ and it was a very impressive building from outside

We wandered through the exhibits which included sections based on rivers, the rainforest and the ocean

View attachment 245566 View attachment 245567 View attachment 245568 View attachment 245569 View attachment 245570

This made me smile in a fish tank ...

View attachment 245571

We had a drink and a cookie in the café which overlooked the water. It was really pleasant setting and had an outdoor play area for children, but it was really raining!

View attachment 245574

We caught the bus back to the airport around 12 noon, checked our bags in, and discovered our flight was delayed ... so we ended up hanging round the airport for the next six hours :(

When we arrived home the queue for immigration was over 30 minutes - but at least our cases were waiting for us! Car was in the meet and greet car park and we got home at 9.30pm UK time. Getting up for work the following morning was not fun!
Thanks so much for this report. So detailed and helpful!

Walking down to the square was a lovely park/garden in the middle of the road

View attachment 244791

View attachment 244794

At the end of the street we could have turned right to look at the harbour (which I wish I had because apparently the King of Norway and the King of Sweden were both in town and had arrived by Royal Yacht), but we turned left to Senate Sqaure

View attachment 244795

It was a beautiful square, the Lutheran Cathedral

To the right the Senate
View attachment 244798
and to the left the University Library
View attachment 244799

See that black cloud in the left hand corner of the photo of the cathedral? It started to rain, then the rain turned to hail stones! The hail was so large it hurt when it hit you! We dived into the first coffee shop we saw and sat the storm out
View attachment 244801

once it died down (it continued to drizzle) we went back to the square and went round the cathedral. We walked back up to the bus meeting point and headed back to the ship. At the show that evening Lesley (Cruise Director) said we'd had all seasons in one day, including crunchy rain, and she was right!
With the weather being on the rainy and cold side just curious if people/kids on the ship were really able to enjoy the pools?

We are taking this cruise next summer. Good to know the Dr. Dolberg info is not the best idea with kids in tow. Thanks for such great details...so helpful.
It would depend on the age of your kids! The restless ones around us were clearly under 10 ... but if you have a history buff they'd probably love it if they were 13+

Is formal night really that strict? First time cruiser asking...
no not at all, you really see just about everything from people in formal gowns to people in jeans ... it was probably just an excuse for us not to have a night to ourselves (we weren't loving the shared table!)

With the weather being on the rainy and cold side just curious if people/kids on the ship were really able to enjoy the pools?
the pools were busy on sunny days, less busy on the cloudy days but people did still use them! We're not big swimmers ... four cruises (3 of which were HOT weather and we've been in the pool twice! Once on cruise one, once on cruise three ... but that's just us!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!