"It's Complicated" October 2019 Link to Disneyland Report

Following along! Judy and I were there a couple of weeks after you. We went on the gondolas about 4 times or so and loved them. (This was after they were back up and running after the little whoopsie-daisy they had. :rolleyes:)

I suspect ~S will have other opportunities to see the pearl show during future trips.
I thought the same thing. ::yes::
We had just finished our wonderful meal at Via Napoli and parted ways with all our friends.
We headed back to the Beach Club, but I think we stopped to listen to the Eat to the Beat concert for a few minutes. Then we stopped at the campfire on the beach at the BC. I love to roast marshmallows and we try to do it every trip.
Ibis-ted my butt to identify these birds and I have no egrets
Excellent punsmanship! :)
Teena had mentioned the EPCOT Experience that was currently appearing in the building the Odyssey Events building in between Mexico and Test Track.
It was a beautiful display, but I don’t really feel I learned much about the coming attractions in my favorite theme park which include Mary Poppins, Remy, Guardians of the Galaxy.
We stopped by the display and felt the same way about it. They didn't tell you much and the artwork wasn't very enlightening.
Since Janet was wearing her Practically Perfect shirt, we had to take some pictures in the Mary Poppins themed scene:
Your pictures turned out really good. You and Janet look like you are having a lot of fun, too.
It had been a long day for everyone. ~S had been on the go all day with only a short 20 minute nap in the gift shop in Japan. I was amazed at how incredibly she behaved throughout the day.
She was great. I was really impressed.
I can’t remember if she fell asleep on the bus, but probably, because...
The kids always fall asleep the minute the bus lights go off. It seems to me that the ride from MK to OKW is pretty short, too.

It had been a really long day for us since we woke up around 5 am to get to Hollywood Studios for Galaxy's Edge. That was 4 am Chicago time. ;)

Love your fun Mary Poppins photo shoot! I had no idea that little display was there- too bad it doesn't give you much insight on what is to come!

What a long day- but can't wait to hear what kind of trouble you got into next!

Great pics from WS! And I love the PP pics of you and Janet :goodvibes

Thanks! So many areas of Disney are beautiful at sunset, but the World Showcase may be the loveliest!

It was fun fooling around for the pictures.

I am loving the Photopass pictures! It's so much fun taking silly pictures with good friends.

Thank you! We certainly were being silly! It is wonderful that Disney is a place where adults can act like kids and nobody bats an eye!

Nicely done 👍😂

Thanks! You know me and my puns.

Oooh excited to hear what’s next 😊
Love the photopass photos of you and Janet :goodvibes

Thanks!

Coming up- some resort fun.

Following along! Judy and I were there a couple of weeks after you. We went on the gondolas about 4 times or so and loved them. (This was after they were back up and running after the little whoopsie-daisy they had. :rolleyes:)

Hey Glenn!

:welcome:

Glad to hear you had a recent trip. Is this the first trip to Disney, at least in a very long while, that it has been just you and Judy? I can't remember, did the two of you have trips BK (before kids)?

Mark and I treasure the family Disney trips we have had, but my/our trips with friends and with each other are special in so many ways.

I thought the same thing. ::yes::

Lots of oysters and pearls in that little girl's future!

We headed back to the Beach Club, but I think we stopped to listen to the Eat to the Beat concert for a few minutes. Then we stopped at the campfire on the beach at the BC. I love to roast marshmallows and we try to do it every trip.

I thought you were going to make your way back to the Beach Club but I wasn't positive.

Excellent punsmanship! :)

Thank you!

We stopped by the display and felt the same way about it. They didn't tell you much and the artwork wasn't very enlightening.

Right?!?

But it was very pretty!

Your pictures turned out really good. You and Janet look like you are having a lot of fun, too.

We had a lot of fun being silly.

She was great. I was really impressed.

Sloan was amazingly good, and spoiler alert- it was the same the following day when I was with them.

The kids always fall asleep the minute the bus lights go off. It seems to me that the ride from MK to OKW is pretty short, too.

It had been a really long day for us since we woke up around 5 am to get to Hollywood Studios for Galaxy's Edge. That was 4 am Chicago time. ;)

💤

Love your fun Mary Poppins photo shoot! I had no idea that little display was there- too bad it doesn't give you much insight on what is to come!

What a long day- but can't wait to hear what kind of trouble you got into next!

I would have had no idea about the display if Teena hadn't mentioned it at dinner. I didn't really do much research preparing for this trip and I rarely visit the theme park attraction boards. It was worth the time to do something new, even if we didn't learn much.

But, why do you assume there is trouble ahead???

:goodvibes

Last edited:

Dee! I had no idea you had a trip report going! I randomly decided to check out the Trip Reports thread on the boards (normally I just go to my Watched threads and call it a day) and when I did I saw this report! I'm so happy I decided to look. Just finished the intro but will work my way to catching up. Sounds like this was a busy trip!

:welcome: Alicia!

Glad you found me.

I haven't added a link to this report in my signature- the real estate down there is pretty crowded!

It was a busy, but really enjoyable trip.

Glad to hear you had a recent trip. Is this the first trip to Disney, at least in a very long while, that it has been just you and Judy? I can't remember, did the two of you have trips BK (before kids)?

Mark and I treasure the family Disney trips we have had, but my/our trips with friends and with each other are special in so many ways.

The only one that we had together BK was a day-trip to Epcot. We were visiting her sister in Vero, borrowed their car and drove to Epcot for the day. About the only thing I remember is that we had dinner at Coral Reef (if it was even called that back then) and we were impressed by the Mickey-shaped butter. This was probably springtime of 1990 or 1991.

The only one that we had together BK was a day-trip to Epcot. We were visiting her sister in Vero, borrowed their car and drove to Epcot for the day. About the only thing I remember is that we had dinner at Coral Reef (if it was even called that back then) and we were impressed by the Mickey-shaped butter. This was probably springtime of 1990 or 1991.

As far as I know, it has always been Coral Reef. That was one of our go-to dining spots in the early days, back when you contacted a call center that was near Spaceship Earth to make reservations.

Marrakesh and San Angel Inn were also favorites.

(OK,W)e aren’t done with our day yet!

I was spending the night with ~N, ~S, and Janet at Old Key West.

Here are a couple of pictures I took on arrival day

That night, we returned to the resort from EPCOT around 9 pm.

I love to swim and figured a dip in the pool would be a great way to end the day while my 3 friends grabbed a snack poolside and Facetimed with family back home.

The sandcastle feature is a pool slide. I tried it at least once. Maybe twice. I can’t remember.

I believe there is a sauna in the lighthouse. Not sure how useful a sauna is in Florida, but it is a cool idea!

I didn’t have my waterproof camera with me at the time, so the only pictures I have are from my phone or the ones I took the next morning.

While I was in the pool, fireworks were going off in the direction of the lighthouse. Based on the timing, I’m guessing it was the Star Wars fireworks, but I’m not positive.

I love the Floribbean vibe of Old Key West! The resort is beautiful at night.

It had been a wonderful day spent with friends!

*****************************************************************************************************************

The next morning, I woke before my friends did, brewed some coffee and then went for a stroll around the resort.

Here’s the empty lobby as everyone else at the resort was sleeping.

I left the lobby, walked past the OKW bar and counter service spot, which was not open, toward the pool area. I peeked into the arcade and checked out the poolside rest room.

When I came back to the room, I slipped out onto the patio for another cup of coffee. I turned on the patio light, which apparently shines through the bottom of the door directly into the bedroom where ~N was sleeping. She came out to join me for a bit before we all got ready for our day.

We encountered another friend who was just hanging around

Although we were involved in a ribbiting conversation, it was time to get hoppin’!

Next up (keep reading): More Stroller Issues

Last edited:
More Stroller issues!!!

As you may recall, the previous day my friend’s stroller had been stolen from Hollywood Studios and she arranged to have one delivered to the resort by 7 am by Kingdom Strollers. In the couple of weeks right before the trip, Disney had changed some of the rules about delivery of things like scooters and strollers. I’m not sure exactly what the news rules were, but I think that Disney has now partnered with a particular rental company and if you order from somewhere else, you must meet the delivery person to pick up your equipment.

We got the lobby area of OKW sometime between 6 an 6:30. I had my two pieces of luggage, one going to POP for that evening (when Mark would be arriving) and the other to Yacht Club for our 2 nights there. ~N checked with Bell Services to see what the procedure for getting the stroller was. They told her that the company would call before delivery so we could meet them at the entrance.

We waited. And waited… no call! After 7 ~N called the company for an update of where the stroller was. She was told that it had been delivered at 10 pm the previous night!

Back to Bell Services valet, who was able to quickly find the package!

It was a great stroller with lots of features- easy fold, a rain cover and Lo-Jack tracking system!

A bus to Animal Kingdom arrived, and we were on our way!

Next Up: A First Time for Everything!

Last edited:
Your building must have been fairly close to the lobby and pool. When we stayed at OKW the building we were in was in the middle of the resort and we relied on the bus to get around.
I believe there is a sauna in the lighthouse. Not sure how useful a sauna is in Florida, but it is a cool idea!
From what I understand, OKW is the only Disney resort that has a sauna at the pool. It was the first DVC and has a lot of nice features that Disney decided not to use for their later DVC buildings, like the huge units.
I left the lobby, walked past the OKW bar and counter service spot, which was not open,
It is a very small counter service and it is all outdoors.The bar is tiny, too, but it has my most favorite drink in all of Disney, something with seahorse in the name.
When I came back to the room, I slipped out onto the patio for another cup of coffee.
Wasn't the huge patio nice? You really feel like you are in a Florida condo instead of a Disney resort.
It was a great stroller with lots of features- easy fold, a rain cover and Lo-Jack tracking system!
A tracking system is definitely the way to go with these strollers. The rental company must have added them to their strollers.

Wow! A tracking system for the stroller. Who knew!! It's a bummer that Disney is having an epidemic of stroller theft. They should warn people and sell stroller wheel locks at the stores in the parks. I guess they don't want to saddle the College Kids with dragging around wheel locked strollers but tough noogies!

~NM

Your building must have been fairly close to the lobby and pool. When we stayed at OKW the building we were in was in the middle of the resort and we relied on the bus to get around.

Yes, ~N knows what she is doing! Our building was the closest to the Hospitality House.

There was a bus stop just outside the building which is the best one to use when getting dropped off from the parks.

When going to the parks, it was best to pick up the bus from the Hospitality House- I believe it goes right from there to the parks.

(note: I am totally forgetting details about the trip already)

From what I understand, OKW is the only Disney resort that has a sauna at the pool. It was the first DVC and has a lot of nice features that Disney decided not to use for their later DVC buildings, like the huge units.

Good to know! I was surprised to see it.

It is a very small counter service and it is all outdoors.The bar is tiny, too, but it has my most favorite drink in all of Disney, something with seahorse in the name.

I took a picture of the drink sign. Many sound good, I have heard good things about the Turtle Krawl, but didn't try one that night. I don't see the seahorse one.

IMG_5223 - Copy.JPG

Wasn't the huge patio nice? You really feel like you are in a Florida condo instead of a Disney resort.

It was really great! We didn't spend much time out there, but enjoyed what we did.

A tracking system is definitely the way to go with these strollers. The rental company must have added them to their strollers.

We spent a lot of time trying to brainstorm ways that Disney could address this problem. Didn't really come up with a solution that would work well.

Some people are really vile!

* spoiler* We have ANOTHER issue with the new rental stroller at Animal Kingdom!

::yes::

Wow! A tracking system for the stroller. Who knew!! It's a bummer that Disney is having an epidemic of stroller theft. They should warn people and sell stroller wheel locks at the stores in the parks. I guess they don't want to saddle the College Kids with dragging around wheel locked strollers but tough noogies!

~NM

It really is a shame that people are so greedy.

Locks are an interesting idea.

:idea:

Oh, hi everyone!

It seems like I haven't talked to you since the last decade.

:blush:

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

IMG_6015 (2).JPG

I have had a full house here.

Mark has gone to work for just a smattering of days since Dec 17. He discovered he has more vacation days than he thought for 2019 (5 weeks left, 5 weeks in 2020), so with a couple of mid-December weather days, he has either worked from home or taken days off. He is really good about isolating himself while working at home, making the basement into the office, but I always feel pressured to look busy around the house so my DIS time suffers!

:rotfl2:

Ben came home for school break on Dec 15 and he leaves tomorrow :( He had a great first semester at GWU. He had a very tough courseload- Arabic, Economics, Politics and Values and a class laying out his course of study for the coming years. I am proud to report that he earned 3 As and an A- this semester. I am even more pleased that he has made some wonderful friends and that he has been taking advantage of the perks that the location of the school in Washington DC has to offer. He has been to museums, concerts on the Capitol lawn and at the National Cathederal, the National Christmas tree lighting. He went to events with RBG, James Comey, Nikki Haley and Senator Tammy Duckworth. He had glimpses on the street of Hilary, Newt Gingrich and Jim Acosta of CNN.

Ben is exactly where he should be.

Nate was home for quite a bit of December and January. It was nice having both boys around. He is entering his final year at UNH, really loves what he is studying and is applying for post graduation jobs- some near by, some as far away as Alaska. He is really excited to start working, somewhere, anywhere and I am really anxious (in both a good way and a stressful way) to find out where he will end up this summer.

Although I have a break from work through most of December and January I have been busy with my dad's appointments and errands and preparing for Christmas (I was the primary purchasing agent for my family's gifts- including my own- my dad's gifts and my mother in law). Sounds like a dream job for some, but I really don't like shopping. That being said, I am happy with most of what I ended up buying for everyone.

I have also been planning for two exciting trips! In early Feb, Mark and I are going to Disneyland for 2 1/2 days and then off to Maui for a week. I CAN'T WAIT!

Then in March, both boys have the same spring break. We will be going on a family trip to Costa Rica. 4 nights at a rainforest resort in the shadow of the Arenal volcano followed by a 3 night pilgrimage to Margaritaville on the beach.

::MickeyMo:fish:🌋

:beach:

When I finally got caught up on the Beach & Yacht Club thread last week and had a little time to start working on this report again, I discovered that Photobucket had been having issues for the past month. It was finally back today, hope that lasts long enough for me to get on with the show!

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

Dee

Last edited:
Friday, October 4, 2019

Animal Kingdom

Safari, So Good!

Recap: This morning we were in the lobby/bus/bell services area from around 6 to 7, waiting for the rental stroller to replace the one that had been stolen the day before. I sent my bags to the resorts where I would be finishing my stay- 1 small suitcase to POP (check in this afternoon) and 1 to the Yacht Club (check in the following day, Saturday).

We got onto a bus an arrived at Animal Kingdom around 8 am.

Our plans for the day were the Safari, Rafiki’s Planet Watch, Brunch at Tusker House, Fast Pass for 1 pm Festival of the Lion King Show and Fast Pass for 2:30 pm Finding Nemo

I can’t remember if we had a Fast Pass for the Safari. Originally we had a Fast Pass to meet characters at the Adventurer’s Outpost at 9:30. I think we decided to skip this since we were doing Tusker House.

We parked the stroller and got in line for the Safari. It was maybe a 20 minute wait for the ride.

I was juggling 3 cameras. My cell phone, my Fuji point & shoot for closeup shots and my Canon, with telephoto lens, for the faraway critters.

Here are my travelling companions

DSCF4083.jpg

Let's go!

DSCF4086.jpg

The giraffes were really close to the vehicle

DSCF4096.jpg

DSCF4097.jpg

See!

DSCF4103.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5609.jpg

IMG_5614.jpg

As we approached the next part of the safari, I couldn’t help but think of what an awesome time I had with these ladies a couple of years before during the Walking With Giants tour.

An Elephantastic Tour (Caring For Giants)

IMG_5617%202.jpg

IMG_5618%202.jpg

IMG_5619%202.jpg

Is it ok to post the previous pictures?

Any comments or should we just ignore the elephant in the room?

Hide and Seek winner, 2019:

IMG_5624.jpg

Guess What?

IMG_5627.jpg

Elephant butt!

IMG_5630.jpg

IMG_5631.jpg

IMG_5632.jpg

The cheetahs were spotted!

IMG_5643.jpg

The anticipation started to build as we approached pride rock. Would we or wouldn’t we?

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

I would call this safari a smashing success!

Next: There's goat to be a first time for everything!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter