I've reached my breaking point with Disney and this mess

Why don’t they just discount the room by the cost of the dining plan. Then you’d be getting the exact value of what they promised. So if the rack rate room on your current reservation is $500 and you have 2 adults and 2 kids on that reservation the discounted room price would be $500-78-78-30-30=$284.
Well if you’ve got 2 kids who are 10 and over the discounted room would only cost $178 per night. I don’t think Disney wants to start discounting deluxe rooms at roughly 65% off rack rate.

And what about those people at value resorts? Rack rate in August is roughly $150 per night at value resorts. The price of Quick service dining for a family of four costs over $200 per day. That would mean Disney would need to pay people over $50 per day to stay at the resort. :rotfl:

Actually, Disney does owe him (and all it’s other customers) something. It owes him exactly what he paid for. When money for a service trades hands, said service should be given. I understand that the situation is fluid, but as such, maybe Disney shouldn’t have been offering deals it wasn’t sure it could honor. It’s a bait and switch. “Here, pay full price for all this, and we’ll give you this valuable item for free!” Then after you pay, “oops, sorry. You won’t be getting the free item now and you still have to pay full price for everything else”. But he can always just get his money back and feel lucky that he has the opportunity to do so, right? I understand Disney can’t control the pandemic but they can control their shady behavior. I love Disney and I own a few DVC contracts but even I can see how unethical this is. But some Disney defenders on here (most people on here) are so blinded by their belief that Disney can do no wrong that they can’t see the wrong that’s right in front of them.
:rotfl:You've never read any of my posts if you believe I'm a Disney can do no wrong defender.

Disney does not owe you or anyone else anything. If you don't like their new guidelines and procedures, cancel and get 100% of your money refunded. I won't wear a mask in FL, so I'm not booking a trip.

From what I saw, they are offering those affected a 35% resort discount, but if you cancel on your own, Disney is under no obligation to do anything for you.

Why don’t they just discount the room by the cost of the dining plan. Then you’d be getting the exact value of what they promised. So if the rack rate room on your current reservation is $500 and you have 2 adults and 2 kids on that reservation the discounted room price would be $500-78-78-30-30=$284.
Are you saying an unprecedented 43% discount should be given to every guest? Interesting. And if your four people are all ten and older, your suggested discount is $312 - 62% off?

So if you have two adults and two teens (aka Disney adults) staying at AS Sports 8/23-8/27, the room should be discounted by $220* per night, when the room rate is $149 for two nights and $135 for the other three?

People are getting whatever they paid for the DDP back, so you're getting back the exact value of what was promised ~ ie, a full refund.

When Disney offered the free dining recovery, I believe they did it believing Disney would be opened with some semblance of normalcy when parks eventually reopened. But so much has changed since then. And Disney now realizes, there is no way to feasibly make this work.

So I actually applaud Disney on this move. Cancelling dining plans, fp’s, experiences, etc.... Pare it all down. Let people cancel who are not happy. Disney needs to limit attendance anyways.

And I say this as someone who has just lost their fp’s, dining reservations and free dining. There has been a worldwide pandemic going on for months and the future of many things is uncertain. Disney doesn’t owe me or anyone else a thing over this.

People should cancel, get their money back and move on if they don’t want to go.
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Actually, Disney does owe him (and all it’s other customers) something. It owes him exactly what he paid for. When money for a service trades hands, said service should be given. I understand that the situation is fluid, but as such, maybe Disney shouldn’t have been offering deals it wasn’t sure it could honor. It’s a bait and switch. “Here, pay full price for all this, and we’ll give you this valuable item for free!” Then after you pay, “oops, sorry. You won’t be getting the free item now and you still have to pay full price for everything else”. But he can always just get his money back and feel lucky that he has the opportunity to do so, right? I understand Disney can’t control the pandemic but they can control their shady behavior. I love Disney and I own a few DVC contracts but even I can see how unethical this is. But some Disney defenders on here (most people on here) are so blinded by their belief that Disney can do no wrong that they can’t see the wrong that’s right in front of them.

How to win friends and influence people, chapter 45. Prove your points beyond any doubts by using insults. Further, not all switches are the bait and switch con. A cheap model (the bait) is advertised that they NEVER had and NEVER intended to sell. They're "out" of the cheap model when you get there so they give you a good deal on the expensive one when in fact they never had, the cheap one advertised. Disney in fact had the free meals to give out. But due to circumstances beyond their control they no longer should be doing that. So they're offering in response, an alternative or your money back. That isn't the bait and switch con. And a true bait and switch con would never be run that way because too many would opt to get their money back.

:rotfl:You've never read any of my posts if you believe I'm a Disney can do no wrong defender.

Disney does not owe you or anyone else anything. If you don't like their new guidelines and procedures, cancel and get 100% of your money refunded. I won't wear a mask in FL, so I'm not booking a trip.

From what I saw, they are offering those affected a 35% resort discount, but if you cancel on your own, Disney is under no obligation to do anything for you.
They don't exactly know me either if they assume I normally defend Disney.

I constantly see the term "subject to change" when it comes to Disney. This changed and now travelers can either accept it or cancel. If Disney gives those who cancel their money back then I don't see what else they need to do. Besides they may have fully intended to provide the free dining but now can't or won't because of circumstances.

I had no communication from Disney in May. I initiated the call to cancel. We have a bit of a mess going into our trip later this summer. A lot to do before then with little info. It's frustrating.

Last edited:
I understand it's a pandemic and things are changing daily. What I don't get is how so many defend Disney and they can't do no wrong. I'm sorry they have been wrong in a lot during this.

Them cancelling all FPs, ADRs and the Dining Plan says a lot. First of all they should never had let people keep making reservations once they closed. People were still allowed to book ADRs and FPs as if things were normal. That's all on Disney. I'm sure most will defend that too. 🙄

This is why I have no intention of scheduling, re-scheduling, or planning any kind of vacation, Disney or otherwise, while the situation is so fluid. No one really has a handle on what this situation will be like in 2 weeks, 2 months, or 6 months. No point in pushing a vacation back again and again and again. Just cancel, relax, be patient.

How does Disney owe people ?
Disney at times offers deals. It has price and point seasons. If I go at Christmas, I pay more. If I go
When they offer free dining, I can get that.

Same as I go to the early movie, I pay less. Same as early bird meal time.
It something happens and I can’t go. I either get my money back for that time. Or I go same time next day or year/season. I don’t get to buy low season and go high season.

Who would owe me?

I understand it's a pandemic and things are changing daily. What I don't get is how so many defend Disney and they can't do no wrong. I'm sorry they have been wrong in a lot during this.

Them cancelling all FPs, ADRs and the Dining Plan says a lot. First of all they should never had let people keep making reservations once they closed. People were still allowed to book ADRs and FPs as if things were normal. That's all on Disney. I'm sure most will defend that too. 🙄
First, you admit things are changing daily, but then you fault Disney for changing things. That doesn't make sense.

Just guessing, they continued to allow people to book ADRs and FP when they thought things WOULD be returning to normal. But they're not. They have to deal with a much lower crowd. And, as I understand it, at least for the near future, people need to book times to enter the park. So what happens if someone is holding a FP and can't get a time to enter the park? Same with ADRs... limited availability.

So they should have stopped people from making reservations? They had no idea how long they were going to be closed- could have been 2 weeks, 2 months, their crystal ball couldn’t tell them. They had to follow guidelines on opening and sadly with social distancing they can’t open at full capacity on day 1- so they had to cancel fast passes and dining. Most people understand that places can’t fully open and it’s a day by day learning experience for all. Disney offering the free dining people room discount.

It does no good to call and yell and whine and complain to CM or supervisor when this is out of their control. Some people who aren’t happy with the changes just need to wait to go. We had a September trip planned and we cancelled. I will say I think Disney did the best they could. This is a new world we are experiencing and whining because no free dining, reduced hours or no fast passes seems petty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!