I've reached my breaking point with Disney and this mess

Maybe take a moment.

Realize that until there's a vaccine which is 12-18 months out, anything can shut down at any time with very little notice. Most schools are preparing to do distance learning in the fall should a second wave come. Our beauty salons were supposed to open weeks ago, then didn't. Today they opened. Things change daily...hourly. This is our new normal, and we may as well embrace it.

The people working have had to endure a lot of abuse from others who feel frustrated, and they are not getting hazard pay. Maybe don't add to it.

This is the time for: PATIENCE. SELF-CONTROL. KINDNESS. GRATITUDE.

I rescheduled my June 2020 trip for July 2021. I have no idea if it will actually happen or not, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I'm just taking it one day at a time...

Based on the fear level still present in the die hard DIS Disney fans, I don't think there will be much demand for park reservations. I think lines will be non existent for several weeks to months.
I don't really know how many people will be attending and I don't know how the lines with virtual and actual queue will be handled so I can't say with confidence what you're saying.

Not sure what scientists you got this from but the CDC, New England journal of medicine and John Hopkins are just 3 researchers that disagree with your statement. Also not sure where you heard 5-30 minute exposure. It doesn't take 5-0 minutes for a droplet to get into your eyes, nose or mouth.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/05/12/gigi-gronvall-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19-immunity-passports/
Many articles confuse the terms asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. Many scientist believe that asymptomatic transmission is probably possible but studies that have done significant contact tracing have found symptomatic or pre-symptomatic transmission.

Here is an article on the New England Journal of Medicine primarily focused on discusing universal masking in a hospital setting but it does contain a blurb on the assumption that 5-30 minutes of exposure to a symptomatic person is the definition of a significant exposure.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal.

I hope so.

I know from what I have seen here in Georgia, people are still afraid and not venturing out. The state has been reopening since April. The majority of my friends have yet to dine in a restaurant or visit a store for pleasure shopping. Restaurants have been allowed to open for dine in but few have because the demand is just not there. The mall is open but only about 50% of the stores are open and even then with extremely limited hours.

People are still very much afraid.
You seem to have a problem with differentiating between fear and caution. One does not equal the other.

You seem to have a problem with differentiating between fear and caution. One does not equal the other.
Either way, I don't think the crowds will materialize. I could be wrong.

Edited to add:
After talking with my neighbors and co workers, it is fear driving their reluctance to venture out as before.

I also remember being in WDW just a few days after 9/11. Crowds did not materialize. I don't think they will post Covid for some time either.

The primary source of transmission is continuous close contact with a symptomatic person for 5-30 minutes. That is unlikely to happen at WDW.

Most scientists believe pre-symptomatic transmission is possible but again requires continuous close contact for 5-30 minutes. That is unlikely to happen at WDW.
And how long is the wait in lines for most of the rides? Seems to me that's a risky area.

Seating all the people who have dining reservations currently at the same time is also another area where you're going to be in close contact with multiple people for upwards of 30 minutes.

I’m not seeing this locally. Folks are out as if COVID-29 didn’t exist.
Not here, the supposed leader of reopening. We have eaten out every week since restaurants were allowed to reopen. The first week we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The last Friday there were two other groups in the restaurant. This past Saturday was the first time we saw a place mostly full to the 50% capacity now setup.

When salons were allowed to reopen, few did. It took several weeks before the majority were open.

The mall has been open for weeks. Only 50% of the stores are open.

People have been slow to emerge.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgiaShows Georgia still -21% typical mobility.

Last edited:
Many articles confuse the terms asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. Many scientist believe that asymptomatic transmission is probably possible but studies that have done significant contact tracing have found symptomatic or pre-symptomatic transmission.

Here is an article on the New England Journal of Medicine primarily focused on discusing universal masking in a hospital setting but it does contain a blurb on the assumption that 5-30 minutes of exposure to a symptomatic person is the definition of a significant exposure.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372
That article is 2 month's old and there has been a lot more information since then.

The attitude I Orlando is a little more relaxed.
Here’s a local restaurant the day they went to 50%

E083CF92-9782-43D6-811F-E1D901C5CA80.png

Marshalls the day stores opened. Took 30 minutes to check out. Yes I waited 😂
4BAF0202-114B-4A03-9EB4-776D6480CA6F.jpeg

So Florida residents may fill the parks for awhile

Based on the fear level still present in the die hard DIS Disney fans, I don't think there will be much demand for park reservations.
People are still very much afraid.
I find it very interesting in how you equate being cautious and careful as living in fear.

This is why we decided not to reschedule our May trip just yet....

I live two hours from NYC in PA and my area has been hammered by the virus. In my county we have/had over 2,700 cases and between 1,300 and 1,500 positive cases in my city alone. Those are the people who were able to get tests; many, many could not and our actual numbers are higher. This is not a large city and we have only one hospital. I personally know many people who have/had it, two who have died from it.... one a few days ago. I have seen first hand what this virus can do and how ill equipped we were to deal with it because we have never had anything like this happen in recent history. There is no play book, no definite answers, no concrete end in sight. We're all feeling our way along with this.

We cancelled our May trip in the middle of March, when we saw the cases here rising. We didn't try to reschedule right away, let alone 3 or 4 times in a two month period. (!) Not because we live in fear but because we saw what it actually did, how fast it spread, how sick people we knew who had it got, how long some of their recoveries were, combined with the economic impact. We didn't pretend that things were going to be "normal" in a month or two when everything around us was far from it. 4 members of my immediate family were out of work in March and the first thing to go for some of them was vacation time. When my own DH was put in quarantine from being exposed, he didn't get paid for his time off.... vacation time got taken. You kind of need money and vacation time to actually go on vacation.

I would much rather err on the side of caution, watch how this progresses and decide down the road when and if we feel comfortable to travel to Disney again. That's not living in fear; it's being wise. Especially when we've seen firsthand what the virus does. When you live in a city where they estimate 1 out of 25 people have it, you really pay attention to who is around you.

I get that not everyone has/had the same experience with the virus as we have, but don't dismiss our decision to not jump straight back to Disney the second it opens as us being fearful. There's nothing wrong with wanting to wait to see how this plays out for a few months before making a decision.

The neighbors and co-workers I have talked to have specifically said they are afraid.
If you feel comfortable with it people should post what state they are from so we can see if some states or cities are more concerned

If you feel comfortable with it people should post what state they are from so we can see if some states or cities are more concerned
It's a personal thing I would imagine not a state or city thing. You probably would never be able to quantify how people feel up against their populations as a way to generalize how a city or state feels.

For example posters in the NYC area haven't expressed the same reactions, posters who work in the medical fields haven't expressed the same reactions.

I don't know anyone who is 100% all aligned with each other. We all have varying opinions. My mother-in-law is very much all about wearing a mask in a store but doesn't mind sharing food or being close. My husband is more comfortable with being closer (though not hugging yet) to his family and I'm not quite there yet (and so he respects more keeping distance because of me). My mom was rearing and ready to go to get a haircut but isn't ready for dine-in yet, my one friend thinks we should have never started the phases nearly a month ago because of cases in the SW (we live in the NE) of the state and so on. I think my husband and I are more comfortable with the idea of a vacation (main place is Vegas to make up an April trip) but we're not quite there yet on actually going. But other family members aren't thinking of out of town trips with exception to sister-in-law who has an out of state business trip in July.

But I can see where you are coming from in your thinking.

Georgia, Metro Atlanta.

I was afraid. As I have learned more and time has past, I am no longer afraid. After I was afraid I was cautious. I was not willing to eat out the first week it was an option. The next week I ate out once. Weeks passed and I am no longer cautious.

My in-laws who live in my basement are still afraid. Nothing at all wrong with that. They have not reached the cautious phase. They are genuinely afraid of getting it and dying.

Being afraid is not a bad thing until it becomes paralyzing.

It's a personal thing I would imagine not a state or city thing. You probably would never be able to quantify how people feel up against their populations as a way to generalize how a city or state feels.

For example posters in the NYC area haven't expressed the same reactions, posters who work in the medical fields haven't expressed the same reactions.

I don't know anyone who is 100% all aligned with each other. We all have varying opinions. My mother-in-law is very much all about wearing a mask in a store but doesn't mind sharing food or being close. My husband is more comfortable with being closer (though not hugging yet) to his family and I'm not quite there yet (and so he respects more keeping distance because of me). My mom was rearing and ready to go to get a haircut but isn't ready for dine-in yet, my one friend thinks we should have never started the phases nearly a month ago because of cases in the SW (we live in the NE) of the state and so on. I think my husband and I are more comfortable with the idea of a vacation (main place is Vegas to make up an April trip) but we're not quite there yet on actually going. But other family members aren't thinking of out of town trips with exception to sister-in-law who has an out of state business trip in July.

But I can see where you are coming from in your thinking.
I totally agree with you! I was just having this discussion with some friends. One isn't comfortable doing much take out and definitely no dining in. One is totally fine going into a grocery store and out to eat. I'm good with takeout, but do grocery delivery and am not sure about outdoor dining yet. All of us are thinking about a Disney trip over the summer. None of us are right and none of us are wrong - we're all following our own comfort level.

But you'll be touching a LOT more stuff, no? And aren't a lot of rides and queues enclosed?

You know it’s not just touching stuff that causes you too catch the virus, right? The virus does not absorb thru your skin. After you touch something which has active virus on it, you then have to touch your eyes, nose or mouth to introduce the virus into your body. Which is why you are told to wash your hands or use hand sanitizers & keep your hands away from your face. Those 3 things & everyone wearing masks greatly decreases risk of catching/ spreading it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!