Jamaica state of emergency

Looks like the US has put out a warning as well, urging increased caution: https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...traveladvisories/jamaica-travel-advisory.html

I have never been to Jamaica - we are going in December - but if we were going next week or sometime soon I *might* switch to a cruise sponsored excursion in an abundance of caution because they lead you off the ship and directly to the operators. I willingly went to Mexico despite warnings in October, FWIW, and had a great time. Hopefully some recent Jamaican cruisers chime in!

I have concerns as well! Sailing in two weeks with a stop in Falmouth. Booked a Dunns River excursion.

I just checked my trip/medical coverage and my coverage may not cover us if the Canadian government has issued a travel advisory for my destination.

We were just there 4 weeks ago. My family did a Disney excursion. The immediate port area is behind gates and there are several shops and little places right in the secure are. Its recommended that you don’t go out of the gates on your own. We went to the adventure park and tubing. We felt safe on the bus and at the excursion, but did drive quite a ways.

You all know that Jamaica is kind of dangerous, right? This shouldn't be that big of a surprise to anybody.

Yep - that's why I "get" it. If they're putting out a warning about a place that's already kind of bad that makes me suspicious why they're bothering to NOW. As I said it wouldn't stop me... yet.

You all know that Jamaica is kind of dangerous, right? This shouldn't be that big of a surprise to anybody.

Yes that’s not exactly news. Problem is that it’s obviously got a whole lot worse if the government have released a warning and military are roaming the streets.

I wonder if DC will bypass it and either go somewhere else or have a day at sea?

So we’ve had warnings for Jamaica and Mexico. For the Western I guess that leaves Grand Cayman as the go to safe port.

Only 5 states in Mexico are affected and that doesn’t include Cozumel so that will be fine I suspect.

Yep - that's why I "get" it. If they're putting out a warning about a place that's already kind of bad that makes me suspicious why they're bothering to NOW. As I said it wouldn't stop me... yet.

THey are doing it now because the Jamaican government has declared a State of Emergency for an area which includes Montego Bay (Parish of St James), due to the excessive crime problem. Apparently that area hit over 300 murders last year. Also, there have been sexual assaults of tourists AT resorts, which is why the Govt of Canada is advising caution even while at one's resort.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...office-crime-murder-rate-cruise-a8169696.html

UK has also issued a warning.

SW

Hmm. We've been to Falmouth on the Fantasy before so know the set-up and the port itself should be fine. It is SO securely gated and guarded. I booked the Good Hope Estate as our excursion for our March cruise, but having second thoughts now . . .

I know Falmouth isn’t on that list, but I can’t imagine DCL (or any cruise line, for that matter) would be interested in maintaining a port of call where people are too afraid to get off the boat.

Assuming these issues in Jamaica won’t be resolved quickly, I wonder if the cruise lines look for other, maybe non-traditional, ports of call, or just add more sea days to their cruises.

Just cancelled our excursion. Ugh. We weren't planning on getting off in Cozumel either. Beginning to wish I hadn't booked this cruise . . .

So we’ve had warnings for Jamaica and Mexico. For the Western I guess that leaves Grand Cayman as the go to safe port.
I've never been to Jamaica, but I have been to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. Honestly, the bus ride we took to 7 Mile Beach took us through some awful parts of George Town. I was surprised as the Caymans are a wealthy BOT with a very high standard of living.

Just cancelled our excursion. Ugh. We weren't planning on getting off in Cozumel either. Beginning to wish I hadn't booked this cruise . . .

C'mon folks. The cruise stop is during daylight hours only. I'm sure most of the issues are at night. And keep in mind, the second most dangerous place on earth other than Allepo, Syria is Chicago, Ill. I'm sure you feel safe in Chi.

Jamaica's economy is dependent on tourism, their Government will squash any issues immediately and flood the area with security. Jamaica survival depends on tourism.

Is it too late to cancel your cruise? How much of your money would you get back? You shouldn't take a vacation to a place you don't feel comfortable going to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!