Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

First time staying at Kidani Village. We've got a studio savannah view room. Is there anything I can request with online check in if I wanted to hopefully be able to see a giraffe from the balcony?

We are thinking about booking our next trip at AKL and are looking for recommendations on room preferences, if villas are better than the lodge, etc. Any tips would be super helpful! We have eaten at Boma a couple trips ago and really enjoyed it. We are wanting to try a new resort this time and AKL is on our list!

Welcome to one of the friendliest threads on the boards! Maybe you could tell us a little about your travel party so we can help! My group includes no littles, so we like DVC studios since there are full size coffee pots, for example. What will the members of your party be interested in? My room preference is always the lowest rate... lol. But if you can get a standard view there is always the chance for a partial savanna view. We honestly prefer Jambo House but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Kidani - they are each unique and wonderful. Let us know how we can help you plan!!

First time staying at Kidani Village. We've got a studio savannah view room. Is there anything I can request with online check in if I wanted to hopefully be able to see a giraffe from the balcony?
The savanna view villas at Kidani overlook Sunset savanna - which has giraffes, or Pembe savanna - which does not. I’d call and add the request “Sunset savanna view” as I don’t think online check in has that as an option.

Thanks. I'll give a call and see if I can request sunset savannah. I forgot to mention we are in a wheelchair accessible room if that makes a difference to location. Though I would have assumed there would be accessible rooms in both?

Our magic bands and DME arrived today. Vacation is getting real, it's our first stay at a deluxe. I hope it is worth it.
Congrats how many days our did they arrive? Just curious we are getting down there as well. Leave KC on June 1st.

I GOT SUCKED BACK IN!! :simba:DH and I stayed 2 nights at AKL last summer in a savanna view DVC studio. DD24 and I are planning a trip for this summer and I have a pretty good rate for 6 nights at ASMu with 6 day PH and QSDP. We are hoping for free dining and then I'll upgrade the meal plan to the DDP. She likes this plan, I like this plan... but then I contacted some different places and got a good rate through a TA for AKL. Gosh I LOVE AKL... I am sorely tempted to go with the TA rate and then buy our meals OOP or use my rewards money/gift cards for them. I tried renting points but there's no availability, according to the owners I contacted.

SO... SHOULD I DO IT?? Do I pull the trigger and do AKL?

If DVC owners are showing no availability for my dates, is it safe to assume that David's DVC rental will also find no availability? He is about $100 cheaper than my quote but I'd have to pay him upfront instead of over time.

How do the AKL rooms differ from the AKV DVC studios?

Finally... partial savanna view rooms. Anybody know what room #s I should request, or just request "partial savanna view"? I've never done a reservation through a TA; do they have to submit my requests or can I??

David's would have access to the exact same inventory as the owners that you contacted, as David's is just a middle man between renters and owners. I don't know what type of room you are looking at with your TA but the DVC studios have one queen bed and a sofa bed, whereas the regular rooms do not have the sofa beds and would mostly have two queen beds (I know there are options for bunk bed rooms as well and maybe King rooms but we don't stay in those so I have no idea what the inventory is like or the type of room your TA quoted you).

I GOT SUCKED BACK IN!! :simba:DH and I stayed 2 nights at AKL last summer in a savanna view DVC studio. DD24 and I are planning a trip for this summer and I have a pretty good rate for 6 nights at ASMu with 6 day PH and QSDP. We are hoping for free dining and then I'll upgrade the meal plan to the DDP. She likes this plan, I like this plan... but then I contacted some different places and got a good rate through a TA for AKL. Gosh I LOVE AKL... I am sorely tempted to go with the TA rate and then buy our meals OOP or use my rewards money/gift cards for them. I tried renting points but there's no availability, according to the owners I contacted.

SO... SHOULD I DO IT?? Do I pull the trigger and do AKL?

If DVC owners are showing no availability for my dates, is it safe to assume that David's DVC rental will also find no availability? He is about $100 cheaper than my quote but I'd have to pay him upfront instead of over time.

How do the AKL rooms differ from the AKV DVC studios?

Finally... partial savanna view rooms. Anybody know what room #s I should request, or just request "partial savanna view"? I've never done a reservation through a TA; do they have to submit my requests or can I??

I have not idea about DVC rental availability this close to your travel dates, but in terms of taking advantage of the TA rate, you might also consider that DDP doesn't always represent a savings, especially if you're not using all of it/ big eaters. "Free" dining, if you're paying rack rate for the room, sometimes can be more expensive that getting a room discount. So, you might do that price comparison, too- if you're looking to talk yourself into the AKL stay :)

The hallway that fronts the parking lot and also faces the pool is called Giraffe trail - lots of people like it as there’s a shortcut through a door to the bus stop. The other hallway that has rooms facing the pool is called Zebra trail. I know there are villas on the 5th floor along the lobby that overlook the pool/roofs - not sure about rooms below tho’.
Edit to add looks like there are rooms along the lobby on the 4th floor and villas on 5th and 6th floor - but they have roofs below so unlikely to be in the pool view category :)
Thank you so much. That makes things clearer. I still don't know if I should do online check in or if we just check in when we get there but at least I know which side we do have to request :-) Since our Magic Bands will wait for us at the hotel we can't skip the front desk anyway. No matter what we get I am just so excited to be back at AKL as it is such a wonderfully themed hotel!!

I timed it two weeks ago, it was 4 minutes from the front door of Jambo House to the zazu elevator at Kidani. Then if you are going to the lobby at Kidani I would say maybe about 4 more minutes to the lobby.

Thanks for timing that. I think the negative discussions about the distance between the two are often overstated. In addition to your information here, and after listening to one of my favorite podcasts this morning, here's some comparisons to put things in perspective. G maps says the walking distance between Jambo lobby and Kidani lobby is .4 miles. That's roughly the same distance as walking from the Epcot Intl GW to the Beach Club or that end of the Boardwalk -- or as walking from the front gate of MK to the Contemporary. Walking from Jambo lobby to Kidani's furthest room, would be .7 of a mile, roughly the same distance as walking from Boardwalk to the Studios, or from MK to GF (if allowed).

So, if you've ever done any of those, it gives you the perspective that Jambo to Kidani is really no big deal. Most in my family walks 3-5 miles per day anyway to keep our Fitbit happy, so we never even considered walking distance when booking Kidani (but don't label us! - some days we spend more time eating than walking!).

Thanks for timing that. I think the negative discussions about the distance between the two are often overstated. In addition to your information here, and after listening to one of my favorite podcasts this morning, here's some comparisons to put things in perspective. G maps says the walking distance between Jambo lobby and Kidani lobby is .4 miles. That's roughly the same distance as walking from the Epcot Intl GW to the Beach Club or that end of the Boardwalk -- or as walking from the front gate of MK to the Contemporary. Walking from Jambo lobby to Kidani's furthest room, would be .7 of a mile, roughly the same distance as walking from Boardwalk to the Studios, or from MK to GF (if allowed).

So, if you've ever done any of those, it gives you the perspective that Jambo to Kidani is really no big deal. Most in my family walks 3-5 miles per day anyway to keep our Fitbit happy, so we never even considered walking distance when booking Kidani (but don't label us! - some days we spend more time eating than walking!).
What is your favorite Disney podcast? I'm always looking to add more to my queue! :)

Hi!

I finally pulled the trigger since there was a discount avalible and booked a standard at AKL. There were no pool view rooms avalible which I loved from last time and I’m worried I will get an awful view. Should I try a different resort? Or should I try and request an area that isn’t horrible??

My worst fear is getting a hotel roof view or just cars with no trees.

You're welcome! The only time we've ever felt like the walk was not ideal was during the height of summer heat, but the shuttle stops frequently so we've either used it or parks buses when we didn't feel like walking. On my last visit I wanted to grab some Disney chicken nuggets to go for my trip back home (it's my guilty pleasure) so I got them from the Mara but needed to get back to Kidani quickly to ensure I made Magical Express on time. It was a very quick walk and taking the Zazu elevator (the first one you come to) gets you back inside into air conditioning quickly, so it was a pleasant walk. I can see how it would be an issue for someone with mobility concerns but for most guests I think it is a manageable walk. There's just not much to look at except parking lot, so I think that's why it feels long!

Hi!

I finally pulled the trigger since there was a discount avalible and booked a standard at AKL. There were no pool view rooms avalible which I loved from last time and I’m worried I will get an awful view. Should I try a different resort? Or should I try and request an area that isn’t horrible??

I've booked Standard view too. I'm actually beginning to think of requesting one of the "parking lot views" b/c they look so peaceful. Lots of trees. Have you looked on Touring Plans at their Room Views? Ostrich Trail, 3d floor seem very quiet and relaxing.

I've booked Standard view too. I'm actually beginning to think of requesting one of the "parking lot views" b/c they look so peaceful. Lots of trees. Have you looked on Touring Plans at their Room Views? Ostrich Trail, 3d floor seem very quiet and relaxing.
Yes! I did see some weren’t too bad but I saw the horror stories from the worst views thread. Tbh I am very excited to go back I just worry that I’ll get stuck with something awful.

I did the touring plan room request and it worked wonders for me. Got the exact room I wanted. Fingers crossed it works again!

Yes! I did see some weren’t too bad but I saw the horror stories from the worst views thread. Tbh I am very excited to go back I just worry that I’ll get stuck with something awful.

I did the touring plan room request and it worked wonders for me. Got the exact room I wanted. Fingers crossed it works again!

I should start looking to see if they list the Villa rooms. We're aiming to get a 1-bedroom for us and a studio for my cousin's family. We'll see what's actually available when packages come out. We may end up with three rooms in AKL.

I should start looking to see if they list the Villa rooms. We're aiming to get a 1-bedroom for us and a studio for my cousin's family. We'll see what's actually available when packages come out. We may end up with three rooms in AKL.

they do list them on touring plans, I put in a standard view 2 queens and I havent gotten so many terrible views, some that are great actually. its making me feel better!

Hi!

I stayed standard view and did get one of the rooms at the front of a resort facing the parking lot. I have booked a savanna view this time around because I didn't like looking at the parking lot. However, it was not horrible, did not ruin my vacation, did not diminish Disney in any way. Yes, I have joked about the Buick Savanna with free roaming Fords and the Honda Herd, but I got what I paid for. I got bunk beds (which at the time, weren't a room category but a request). Couldn't look out my window and see zebras, but I could leave my room and find lots of other places to sit and read and see animals. For the amount of time I spend in the room, I probably should have booked the standard again this time!

Hi there. My family is staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge in September for the first time. We had originally booked our stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but switched today with the FD offer. My biggest hesitation with staying at AK is that the resort seems so far from all the other parks. I’d love to hear Others thoughts on times to parks. And also if anyone has stayed at the wilderness lodge and animal Kingdom and has a preference. Thanks for your help. I’ll be combing through this thread for insight and tips for our trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter