Jambo vs Kidani - the full battle!

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Ok folks, we've all struggled with this: You want to stay at AKL but can't decide on Jambo or Kidani. Jambo does seem to be more popular from what I have seen, but I am not sure why. Disclaimer: I have NEVER stayed as a guest at AKL. I know everyone has their reasons, but rather than simply saying "Jambo is better" can posters please tell us all WHY? (pros vs cons)....

We like both but prefer Jambo, the lobby is incredible, and I love having Jiko, Boma, two bars (Victoria Falls and Jiko's bar), and The Mara all right there. I don't swim, but DH does, so I like the Jambo pool better, because I think that it is easier to find a place to relax. I also really like the Jambo gift shop, and stopping in on the way back from the buses.

That said, if I were staying in a one bedroom or two bedroom, I would pick Kidani for the extra bathroom and general setup of those rooms. If I had young kids, I could see how they would prefer the splash pad at Kidani.

We have had good animal viewing at both, but I would say it is better at Kidani.

Can I get back to you on this? We are doing a split stay in March. 3 nights in Jambo deluxe studio no savannah view. Then 3 nights in Kidani Deluxe Studio with a Savannah view. We will see if the extra food and amenities at Jambo outweigh the savannah view in Kidani.

In terms of DVC Villas, all studios at Jambo are on the 5th floor (or 6th floor for Club)

Kidani villas are floors 2-5, so it’s possible to have a lower floor (closer to animals, which may be a better view)

Kidani has a better pool slide and Kids splash area.

Jambo, of course, has the bigger lobby, a QS, and (2) good TS restaurants.

I’m on the side of generally preferring Kidani for the better 1BR, but prefer Jambo for a studio. (With the QS options)

If you have (and use) a car, Kidani has ground level parking (under the Villas). There are multiple elevators that can take you down, near your car...that is sheltered from the blazing sun or torrential rains...much nicer than trekking through the elements to a vast parking lot.

Last edited:
We stayed on Kidani and I loved it, absolutely beautiful. However, if we stayed again I would choose Jambo. Jambo is more lively and I like that.

We stayed at Kidani and loved, loved it. I would say kidani hands down - I liked the pool area and splash area much better there. The only negative is you have to go to Jambo for quick service. There is a mini van that shuttles back and forth all day so that wasn't a problem.
My sunset savannah view was so amazing at Kidani.

We pick Jambo, because of the fabulous lobby, the gift shop, counter service and the indoor activities.
So there are indoor activities at Jambo NOT offered at Kidani? By the way - just HOW FAR are the 2 buildings from each other? (K & J)

So there are indoor activities at Jambo NOT offered at Kidani? By the way - just HOW FAR are the 2 buildings from each other? (K & J)
Kidani has the Community Hall, and has some cultural representatives on a schedule. (And also has the popular night vision animal viewing). I don’t believe all activities are duplicated at both resorts.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/community-halls/

Google maps says it is 0.4 mile, 7 minute walk from lobby to lobby.

Jambo...by a mile.

And that mile was the ungodly walk from our room at the far end of what seemed like ACTUAL Africa to the lobby/pool/bus stop/humanity/civilazation at Kidani. Granted, I liked the 1 bedroom at Kidani better than the 1br at Jambo for the extra bathroom (and I still have dreams about that lovely Kidani shower) but nothing would make me want to go through that long walk again. I also hated the parking garage, and I hated trying to get to the pool (and the pool was tiny). We seriously got lost trying to figure out how to get to the dang pool....and when we realized we had to go out the front lobby and walk around the building??? Ummm...no.

Jambo has the better lobby and atmosphere. Has great restaurants and a much better and bigger pool.

We only stayed at Jambo, fwiw, but I would have been bummed if we ended up at Kidani. We walked to Kidani to go to Sanaa. Given how often we went to the gift shop, The Mara, etc. I really loved the convenience of having it all so close. The Lobby is just gorgeous. Kidani has a more intimate lobby and a small shop. I thought it was nice, but just not as "epic" as Jambo.

We just got back from a stay at Jambo, last year we stayed at Kidani. While the lobby is beautiful and a bit more lively, I would go with Kidani.
Some thoughts:

- The Walk to our studio took FOREVER, at the end of the day i felt like crawling to the room.

-more animals at kidani.

- The studios are a bit larger at Jambo.

- Free marshmallow roasting at Jambo. (didn't notice this at kidani. not sure if this is new?)

- Kidani feels exclusive and private.

- Front desk line took FOREVER at Jambo, no matter what time I went.

that being said, I would rather be at Jambo or kidani than any other resort.

I can only speak for Jambo but we loved it. We ate at the Mara a few times so it was nice to have the QS place right there. We had a Savannah view facing Kidani and saw animals every day. There always seemed to be some activity going on in the lobby - from teaching kids how to play the drums to a woodcarver. My daughter (8) also liked looking at all of the different works or art/artifacts in the lobby. I saw no issues with transportation. Even though they stopped at Kidani first there was never anyone on the bus in the morning. Would definitely stay there again.

I have stayed at - and love - both. I think it depends on what you're looking for. I love Kidani for it's peace and quiet. It is far less bustling than Jambo, which I absolutely appreciate after chaos at the parks. For Jambo, the lobby is more "wow", I love that they have flamingos on site (as a flamingo fan) and there are more dining options. The gift shop is also larger. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either. It's my favorite resort by far.

It depends on the room/villa you are reserving. If a regular hotel room or concierge hotel room, your choice is limited to Jambo House; there are none in Kidani Village. If a studio, either location will work. JH has the value studio which is smaller than the other studios, but is about three feet in depth shorter than the studios at JH. Limited in number and usually booked up by DVC members who own at AKV. If a one bedroom or larger, KV has an extra bathroom off the entrance to the villa that can be used by anyone who winds up sleeping in the living room. Plus the master bath at KV is larger and has a separate shower from the tub. At JH, the shower and tub are combined like any other location. The master bath is directly across a small hallway from the master bedroom, not in the master bedroom like all the other DVC resorts. JH is converted hotel rooms. All two bedroom villas at JH are lockoffs, meaning a combination of a studio and one bedroom. So the second bedroom always has one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. KV has dedicated two bedroom villas (three bathrooms, two queen beds in the second bedroom, one entrance into the villa).

We prefer KV because we usually book a one bedroom villa. Lobby size is no big deal to us. We can easily walk over to JH if we want to eat over there. It's about a five to ten minute walk. Or we can take the shuttle.

We love both. The Savannah (animal) views are comparable.

Jambo has the wonderful lobby and restaurants are so convenient. However, its also pretty busy.

Kidani has the away from the hustle and bustle feel to it. However, only one restaurant unless you go up the Jambo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!