January 2018 Car Rental Watch

Also following this thread. It looks like when we book plane tickets, we can get a small rental car for around $285 for the week but hoping for some better options.

I've seen a Costco deal for $260 inclusive, Jan 20-27, for a standard-size car. That is far worse than I have ever had at MCO, but the frontrunner now. :(

On one hand, I'm glad it's not just me seeing these sticker shock prices. On the other, I wish someone had a secret code to drop the price! We are traveling 1/20-1/28, and the cheapest I can get is a Priceline NYOP for $33/day, at $383 total for the trip. I was really hoping to be under $300

Our stay is from 1/20 -1/28 , and we fly into Sanford .
I am holding a Dollar reservation for $238. for 8 days . Compact . No special codes, but used the "city special" rate.
Have not found anything better so far, and I just checked that I made that reservation in July ! Have not seen rates go down in a while. Right now, our same reservation rate is about $375. !!! :scared1:

I noticed today that Budget rates via Costco have come down quite a bit. Couple of examples: a full size is $245 for Jan 20-27, and a standard SUV is $305 for the same time period. Those rates are all inclusive. Smaller cars are a bit cheaper.

I noticed today that Budget rates via Costco have come down quite a bit. Couple of examples: a full size is $245 for Jan 20-27, and a standard SUV is $305 for the same time period. Those rates are all inclusive. Smaller cars are a bit cheaper.

Yup, I see that rates over Marathon weekend for Budget have also dropped by a bunch. Still not lower than what I booked last June (!), but getting better.

I have a full size car for 1/7-15 out of Sanford and the rate has dropped 3x since I originally booked. The prices are still higher then what I like, so hopefully they will keep on coming down.

anyone know the costco code. we just joined yesterday at a new costco

My rental just dropped $30! I went from Alamo to Budget though. I really wish we had a Costco near me so I could do the Costco discount!

My rental just dropped $30! I went from Alamo to Budget though. I really wish we had a Costco near me so I could do the Costco discount!

I originally joined Costco only for the car rental discounts (nearest Costco was 1 hour away). One rental a year usually paid my membership. Also, they have many non-food items online and usually offer free shipping. You should probably see how much money you could save on your rental - might be worth the $60 annual fee.

I originally joined Costco only for the car rental discounts (nearest Costco was 1 hour away). One rental a year usually paid my membership. Also, they have many non-food items online and usually offer free shipping. You should probably see how much money you could save on your rental - might be worth the $60 annual fee.
I'll have to keep watch and maybe I will join as it gets closer

Also watching prices for January... any good deals lately?

Have been checking twice daily, sometimes more if I have the time . We have a Dollar reservation, and have not seen our rates drop since I booked ..........in JULY ! Thats the lowest I have seen it, since our trip has be planned . Not sure why rates have not been dropping , but this is the first time I have experienced this .........and we rent cars for our Disney trips ...... a LOT (we dont use ME unless we have too) . We are less than 2 months out, and rates are still hovering about $100. MORE than when I booked in July .
We are holding a Dollar reservation , using the "City Special" promo code . So far the best I have been able to acquire is $238. for a compact for 8 days . This is from Sanford , so rates are generally a little more $$$ than MCO, but not that much more . Usually, we are about $100. LESS for our car rental , and usually for an intermediate, mid or full size than what we have reserved this time around, and its a compact ! Usually I see the rates jump around a lot all over the place and sometimes get low enough to beat our reservation price by a few dollars , or at least get close to it as time goes by. This time around ........ the rates have NOT dropped any where near what our reservation price is .........weird.
Not sure why rates have not been dropping much ......... they seem to be holding at a high price point. The sweet spot seems to be around 45-60 days out , so I will be checking more aggressively the next couple of weeks, since we are under 60 days now.
Will report back if I have any success !

EDIT : Just checked our rates for Sanford vs. MCO for a comparison . For Dollar , they are staggeringly higher for MCO !!! Right now, Sanford is holding about $100. higher than our reservation price I made in July , and MCO is more than $200 higher !!! This is definitely strange , as MCO is always slightly less $$$ than Sanford !

Last edited:
Costco/Alamo prices are lower than what I've seen for awhile... went ahead and made a reservation, and will keep watching...

rented with alamo with a costco promo. my wife is the cardholder but due to job responsibilities she cannot make the trip.
can we still use the promo with her card if she won't be there. do they check cards and if so are they particular about whose card it is since
it's in the family

didn't see these in this thread - Alamo $25 coupon codes:
AD2823JAG
AD2823JAZ
I used them (one or the other) in May & Oct 2017, & they are still valid for our May 2018 dates :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!