Japan with no skills in Japanese?

Westcoastwild

DIS Veteran
So I was thinking of going to Japan next year. Be responsible and take some night classes in the language in the fall and winter.

But this July, I've got time off. I've got the money. I've got flight credits burning a hole in my pocket. I can't tell my family, because they'd mock me SO HARD but this is the Dis...so... I've also got a serious desire to visit the Tokyo parks.

Has anyone here gone in the summer? How was it? If you spoke no Japanese whatsoever, was that a problem?

I think most people here who visited Disney Tokyo do not speak Japanese.

I know I don't speak Japanese nor does my friend. I will learn stuff like: yes, no, thank you, front row please, where are the bathrooms Disney and Tokyo shouldnt be much of a problem. In rural parts it might be more of an issue.

Here is a topic with most trip reports collected. Last part are from Tokyo, sorted by year and month.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/trip-reports-of-asian-disney-parks.3604641/

Not a problem at all.

This awesome TDR Explorer guide is all that I use: http://tdrexplorer.com/17-basic-japanese-phrases-for-tokyo-disney-resort/

And I've never had any problems. A local guide on a day trip once told us that it's very common for Japanese children to learn English as a second language. But, they're so polite / respectful that they don't like to "mangle" the language in front of English speaking foreigners. I'm not sure if that is true, but most people seem to be able to understand what you're after with a combination of basic Japanese, English and hand motions.

Worst case scenario, WiFi seems to be available pretty much anywhere, so "googling" a picture of what you want or even a translation is always possible.

Thanks! Especially about the wifi! I have travelpass on my iPhone but only want to use it when absolutely necessary.

There is a lot of written English in most places in Japan. However, if you're hoping to have a conversation with random people in Japan, it helps to know Japanese. If your question is complicated you might have a hard time getting an answer. English is compulsory from 1st grade until 12th. Several of my friends went to Japan as JETs. In general, more expensive hotels will have a front desk that is fluent. Being in a more touristed area, more people are likely to be comfortable talking in English. I still remember for a long time having no idea about how credit card payments could be broken up in Japan and not knowing what I was being asked when I was purchasing things. In general, the Japanese are better at written English than at spoken English.

"sumimasen" "wakarimasen" "gomen nasai" "konnichiwa" and "domo arigato" are probably the most useful phrases you can pick up.

There is a lot of written English in most places in Japan. However, if you're hoping to have a conversation with random people in Japan, it helps to know Japanese. If your question is complicated you might have a hard time getting an answer. English is compulsory from 1st grade until 12th. Several of my friends went to Japan as JETs. In general, more expensive hotels will have a front desk that is fluent. Being in a more touristed area, more people are likely to be comfortable talking in English. I still remember for a long time having no idea about how credit card payments could be broken up in Japan and not knowing what I was being asked when I was purchasing things. In general, the Japanese are better at written English than at spoken English.

"sumimasen" "wakarimasen" "gomen nasai" "konnichiwa" and "domo arigato" are probably the most useful phrases you can pick up.

No, conversations are pretty much out for me. I am notoriously bad at languages. Any foreign language I do manage to pick up is invariably on the reading not verbal end of things. I just like to know pronunciation and how to read a train timetable and possibly how to read enough "food" to order something I'm expecting to see.

I'm a bit concerned about navigating the postal service, I'll admit-- that was a total nightmare in Italy.

We just spent 4 days at TDR and 3 in Kyoto. The language was never an issue. At TDR they mostly speak some English or will call someone over to help. In Kyoto we found most people had basic English. The most important things to know are please and thank you as well as good morning, afternoon and evening. The Japanese people are so polite that they will go out of their way to help. Just use a big smile!!

The language barrier is not an issue and i wouldn't worry about it. What i would worry about is going in the crowded hot summer. By mid july the schools are out for their summer break and i wouldn't go then. However, if you go the first week of july it is quite enjoyable. Lower crowds, and they are celebrating Tanabata. This is a japanese festival, and at the parks this means that you will see many people dressed up in summer kimono's which are beautiful to see.

The language barrier is not an issue and i wouldn't worry about it. What i would worry about is going in the crowded hot summer. By mid july the schools are out for their summer break and i wouldn't go then. However, if you go the first week of july it is quite enjoyable. Lower crowds, and they are celebrating Tanabata. This is a japanese festival, and at the parks this means that you will see many people dressed up in summer kimono's which are beautiful to see.

Everyone keeps saying that and I get it, I do. But it is literally the only time I can go. So frustrating. I was going to try to go next spring, but spring and fall are just super difficult in terms of family and work. I prefer heat over snow, anyway. I survived WDW in July and while it wasn't without challenges, I still had a lot of fun.

I would probably be in Japan July 11 to August 5. Would you recommend hitting Tokyo Disney first or last?

Re: Train timetable

The destinations and train departure times at almost all train stations are shown in both Japanese and English. In four trips, I think we only came across a single suburban station which didn't have English and we still managed to figure it out.

Re: Food

Almost all restaurants will have plastic models of their meals and/or menus with clear photos. So, as long as you know what to "look" for, then you'll be fine.

Do not go when school is out or on a major holiday. If you do, expect long lines. We went last June for a week and crowds were low, their version of low anyway. We stayed at the Ambassador, made use of the Happy 15 (perk for hotel guests) and fastpasses.
At the parks language isn't much of an issue.
Japan is very much a cash based society. We only used our credit card for the hotel. Some credit cards work better than others.

As someone else mentioned, TDR explorer is very helpful resource.

There is a crowd calendar for the parks. Do a Google search and it will come up.

Re: Train timetable

The destinations and train departure times at almost all train stations are shown in both Japanese and English. In four trips, I think we only came across a single suburban station which didn't have English and we still managed to figure it out.

Re: Food

Almost all restaurants will have plastic models of their meals and/or menus with clear photos. So, as long as you know what to "look" for, then you'll be fine.

Cool. I'm a fairly adventurous eater anyway. Not all that many things I really dislike outside of processed crap.

You will be fine. We went on a 3-week trip to China and Japan in 2007 and we don't speak either language. Everything went fine, even in China. Many Japanese people speak English, especially in Tokyo and DL.

Everyone keeps saying that and I get it, I do. But it is literally the only time I can go. So frustrating. I was going to try to go next spring, but spring and fall are just super difficult in terms of family and work. I prefer heat over snow, anyway. I survived WDW in July and while it wasn't without challenges, I still had a lot of fun.

I would probably be in Japan July 11 to August 5. Would you recommend hitting Tokyo Disney first or last?

I would do disney first and then tour the rest of japan. As you get deeper into summer the larger the crowds. There are still schools that will be in session the week you get there. As long as you go in with the right expectations you will have a great time.

Just aim for weekdays over weekends at Disney. We had Wed, Thurs and Fri and the difference on Friday was major so weekend would have been bad!

I spent 6 hours talking to people from Japan and Taiwan in a Universal Studios queue and it was awesome. None of us were fluent in the same language and one guy had zero English. Lots of Google was used. But perhaps I shouldn't have been asking random questions like whether or not they like their emperor haha

Just aim for weekdays over weekends at Disney. We had Wed, Thurs and Fri and the difference on Friday was major so weekend would have been bad!

I spent 6 hours talking to people from Japan and Taiwan in a Universal Studios queue and it was awesome. None of us were fluent in the same language and one guy had zero English. Lots of Google was used. But perhaps I shouldn't have been asking random questions like whether or not they like their emperor haha

I figured lol. I'm in tune with the ways of DL/DCA. Never, ever go on a weekend is my motto. Thinking Monday, Tuesday Wednesday...

Which brings me to another question. How long did y'all go for? Debating between 2 or 3 days.

I figured lol. I'm in tune with the ways of DL/DCA. Never, ever go on a weekend is my motto. Thinking Monday, Tuesday Wednesday...

Which brings me to another question. How long did y'all go for? Debating between 2 or 3 days.

I did 3 days and stayed on site. However, we didn't have the earliest of starts and the Friday crowds slowed us down quite a bit. BUT we did absolutely every attraction/ride except the Gonzalo's (bad weather).
I think if you commit you can totally do it all in 2 days but you may want the 3rd day so it's more relaxing and you can redo your fave rides

That is pretty much what I figured. That's what Ca is essentially.

Dis you have much luck with fast pass as you were latecomers?

We did 4 days. The 4 day pass gives you the last two days to park hop. The pass is quite inexpensive compared to the American parks. You might want to consider that pass if you go during a busier time. We used the full four days and and always had new things to discover. If you decide you have done it all and don't need the 4th day - take a trip into Tokyo. But I can't stress enough - use fastpass to its fullest - TDR explorer and the Disney Tourist Blog have tips on using it. And get to the gate at least an hour before opening - you will see Japanese families there sitting on plastic "leisure sheets" and eating breakfast. If you do, you will be able to get a fastpass, rice one or two rides, then get another fastpass (of course, we went in A not very busy time - so it may be a little different for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!