Jeez-still can't decide:dibbers assistance required..

as far as what company to use this is up to you there are plus and minuses to all of them some will drop off at your hotel some you have to meet them, so people like having it dropped off some like to meet the person beforehand to go over any question.

as far as 3 wheel or 4 wheel this is up to you and your needs.

I always rented 3 wheel ECVs for Disney. When I bought my own I bought a 4 wheel because I am often on rougher terrains than Disney.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm edging towards a 3 wheeler, as there's a pink one for hire!

Cool! The pink ones are very pretty! :)

Basically it breaks down like this -

Three wheel ECVs are often able to turn a tighter circle, because of how they are designed. This is great because you can maneuver through tighter spaces and if you have to do a u-turn, it takes less space. Some people feel like they tip over easier, however I have never had that problem, and in fact my personal mobility device is a three wheeler. A lot of driving a three wheeler is just being aware of your center of gravity (however, as you will see, that's true of a four wheeler as well) Just don't drive like a crazy person and you'll be fine. :)

Four wheel ECVs are often slightly larger, and sometimes have a flat floor to put your feet on. But because they have four wheels (like a car) they don't have the best manueverabilty; for example, they need a lot more space for u-turns, and unless you shift your center of gravity, going around a corner too fast can result in you being on two wheels - and moments later, the pavement. But, if you don't drive like a crazy person... you'll be fine. :)

In other words... there really isn't much difference; I have driven both extensively, and as long as you use common sense and don't act like a fool, you'll be fine.

One note - make sure that you don't get the wheels into the tracks on Main Street in MK; always try to cross those at a 90 degree angle if possible. I have seen people get their wheels stuck in those tracks, and then wind up on the pavement, so cross the tracks carefully!

Have fun driving your pink scooter! :)

If the pink one is from Walker Mobility, it will be a fast and nimble. Practice with it at the resort before taking it into a crowd.

Thank you for starting this thread. I had the same exact questions.

I'm a bit nervous about renting due to what I read about rain. How worrisome is that? What have others done in bad weather?

I use a 3 wheeled scooter each day at work. (Work on a very large campus but all connected via skyway.)

Thanks everyone!!

I've rented both 3 wheel and 4 wheel, and frankly, I didn't find too much difference. I thought the 3 wheel seemed slightly easier to navigate, but then, I'd rented the 4 wheel (direct from the Disney parks) for my first scooter experience, and the 3 wheel later, so I was a little more experienced of a driver. I've rented from Walker Mobility and although I've always had great service, I'm trying Buena Vista scooters this time and here's why-on Walker ECVs you use a lever, and for me, my thumb got very sore after a while. I saw someone with a Buena Vista, and on their scooters you squeeze the entire handle to propel it. So we'll see how it is.

Thank you for starting this thread. I had the same exact questions.

I'm a bit nervous about renting due to what I read about rain. How worrisome is that? What have others done in bad weather?

I use a 3 wheeled scooter each day at work. (Work on a very large campus but all connected via skyway.)

Thanks everyone!!

If you rent from a local Orlando based vendor, often they will have what looks like a clear "shower cap" (soft, clear plastic with an elastic edge) that goes over the "tiller" or controls to protect them from rain.

Lots of us here on the DIS also sit on our scooters with a poncho on - and then you flip the back of the poncho out over your seat back, and the front of the poncho out over the controls. Keeps you, the seat and the controls dry.

Fold your seat back down (if your rental model is so equipped) when you leave it to help keep the seat bottom dry.

Some folks take along microfiber towels to help keep things dry as well, but then you have to deal with damp towels all day, so... I personally take along an extra poncho for the scooter, and a couple of large binder clips to keep it from blowing away so I don't have to worry about leaving it parked in the rain.

My personal scooter has everything pretty much exposed - battery, motor, controls, etc. On rainy Disney days I protect everything as best as I can, and I go on and have fun! Avoid the big puddles (sorry! you have to get off the scooter to go puddle-splashing!) and you will most likely have no problems, other than getting a little damp! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter