JetBlue now has a new boarding procedure

I'm sure you can always board with the lower group if staying together is important
No. Higher/later group.
You should also contact Disney as the check in is done on their end by their people (BAGS/RAC). If they change the way they are doing it by checking in everyone together it would not be an issue
Probably not an issue that concerns Disney.

I have NEVER understood people wanting to board a plane first. I want to be in that thing the least amount of time possible.

I will say that I do like the way SW boards...yeah, I went there.....it's so much nicer than having to wind my way through the gate gnats that just stand there, waiting to board.

I was just talking about this with a fellow traveler leaving Dublin. I was sucked into the big random line which then got us on the plane later than we otherwise would have gotten on. And since they were booking from the back of the plane (after business class) it did make a difference to have those of us sitting in the back get on first. I love how sw does it. So civilized.

I think next time I’ll check us in first, then go check my bags. Not sure if this will work.

I’ve never had rac check us in on any flight. I always take care of it.

That's what I meant but I wasn't very clear. I was thinking of E as higher then C but I tend to think a little backwards!

It’s like rider swap and saying to go to someone at the beginning or the end of the line. We’re all describing the first cm you get to, but beginning vs ending is relative to how you think of it. :)

I have NEVER understood people wanting to board a plane first. I want to be in that thing the least amount of time possible.

It’s all about the carryons.

Probably not an issue that concerns Disney.

They may not know that JB has changed the boarding procedure. As they, or the BAGS/RAC people as a representative of Disney, are the ones printing out boarding passes for their guests it should be a concern as it is a service they offer. They should make sure they are doing it correctly.

It’s all about the carryons.

To be able to get space in the overhead bin.

I usually choose our seats towards the front, you know a row or two behind the more space seats. So we are always the last to board.

And we just bring carry ons so it always makes my DH nervous. But the past few flights they have asked for passengers to gate check bags and we gladly do at that point.

I prefer that, too. You must be blessed; every time I've waited until the last boarding call I have found an overhead bin at the very back of the plane. That makes disembarking a mess. I also prefer a window seat so when I wait I then have to crawl over people.

So I no longer do what I want, but what is best for boarding and others. I board early (I always get the extra leg room seats), stow my carryon and settle in as the others board. I sure would rather be out in the airport stretching my legs until the last moment.

I usually choose our seats towards the front, you know a row or two behind the more space seats. So we are always the last to board.

And we just bring carry ons so it always makes my DH nervous. But the past few flights they have asked for passengers to gate check bags and we gladly do at that point.

Am currently using “fly-fi” and trying not to lose it on this long awful travel day. We’re in row 6 and got C. From BOS they went

Boarding with disabilities
Mosaic
A
Traveling with little kids
B
C
Etc but we were already onboard

Bin over 6, with no one there yet, was already filled. Gah.

I hate gate checking. If I’ve got stuff in a carryon it’s usually stuff I really need. And they don’t seem to check things to the gate now.

...Someone has replaced my ankles with those of an elephant. Omg this travel day has been hard.

We feel the same way. I worked for the airlines for quite a few years and flew standby many times back and forth to Orlando to visit family, so I'm very used to hanging back and waiting and don't mind it at all lol. We usually each carry a bag that can fit under the seat with a couple days of necessities and check the rest through so the overhead bin thing isn't an issue for us. Having the different boarding groups was kind of weird, but again we just hung back with the kids and boarded with them.

Am currently using “fly-fi” and trying not to lose it on this long awful travel day. We’re in row 6 and got C. From BOS they went

Boarding with disabilities
Mosaic
A
Traveling with little kids
B
C
Etc but we were already onboard

Bin over 6, with no one there yet, was already filled. Gah.

I hate gate checking. If I’ve got stuff in a carryon it’s usually stuff I really need. And they don’t seem to check things to the gate now.

...Someone has replaced my ankles with those of an elephant. Omg this travel day has been hard.

I guess I should of elaborated more, we have a carry on-back pack for kids and DH and me a LL bean bag. Then we have another carryon suitcase. That just has clothes in it. So when they ask to gate check a carry on, I am the first one there. There have been 6 of us going as my mom comes with us so they FAs are thrilled to see us and thank us.

I really could care less when we board because we have our assigned seats that i check monthly then weekly then daily til we fly. I do care that my over head is filled, but most times it has not been. Granted it isn’t my overhead only.

What does it mean to gate check a bag? The carry-on is stuffed with electronics and stuff I that is important to me.

I often accept their request to gate check, but strangely the flight home while dealing with all of us getting different letters, they did NOT do the complimentary gate check. We had checked our bags, but my daughter still had a carryon bag that had fish extenders in (a cruise thing). The overheads were packed. Folks were scrambling to find space. Yep, first time dealing with the new boarding and no offer to gate check bags....just wanted to alert those who have come to like and often expect this nice freebie. Of course if they enforced the rules it would not be an issue, but that’s a different story!

When flying on the smaller planes, overhead is at a premium. Bags don't fit in 'wheels first! They have to go sideways, so that takes away at least 1/3 of the overhead storage. And then when those boarding first feel the need to stick their bags in the overhead bins as they board, rather than over the seats they're taking? Yeah, it takes my space away. I have a carryon that should fit perfectly, not taking up more space than I'm entitled to. So, yes, I like to board later in the process, but sometimes that means I then have to gate check a bag, and that I don't want to do!

What does it mean to gate check a bag? The carry-on is stuffed with electronics and stuff I that is important to me.
When you board the plane, sometimes an announcement is made that they are looking for volunteers to gate check their bags due to the flight being full and not enough overhead storage is available. They will take your carry on bag, tag it and send it down to be checked. Then, you need to go to baggage claim to get it. I sometimes will do that if I already have a bag checked. But, if I'm traveling with just a carry on bag, I don't. I want to get off the plane and on my way!
Or, if I have stuff in my bag that I don't want to be away from me...for instance, I'm traveling to Fl in 10 days, taking my dd's Christmas gifts. They are all going in my carry on bag, into the overhead bin. I won't be gate checking that bag!!!

I guess I should of elaborated more, we have a carry on-back pack for kids and DH and me a LL bean bag. Then we have another carryon suitcase. That just has clothes in it. So when they ask to gate check a carry on, I am the first one there. There have been 6 of us going as my mom comes with us so they FAs are thrilled to see us and thank us.

So what do you let them take?

Small backpacks just go under the seat so there’s no point in checking this. Gate checking the bag with clothes is exactly my nightmare, of them losing it. If they would deliver it to the gate instead of the carousel, which airlines used to be more willing to do, I would like that because there’s less chance of it being lost in transit.

If there’s no room by the time you board (or no perceived room...grumbling at the dingbats who were so sloppy with their bin-bags last night) they’ll take the bags that would go in the bins. So if you’re boarding among the last, rearrange your stuff so your electronics and medications and nececessities for the flight can go in a bag that fits under the seat. Just in case.

They really need to do two things. First, assign bins to seats so no one in row 29 can put their carry-ons above seats in row 5 and make announcements before and during boarding. Second, enforce the size and number limit for carry-ons. I'm sure many of us have seen bags so oversized that the person was struggling to get them to fit into the bins. The attendants at the gate check should enforce this and the FAs can be a second set of eyes. Anything oversized or excess should automatically be gate checked and charged.

We have a carry on with stuff we want for the plane or stuff we don’t want to get stolen: electronics, wallet for me since I don’t carry a pocket book, medicine, tissues, books, pens/pencils, small bag of toiletries in my quart bag x5 if we need 5 (there are 5 of us),

Then we have our other carry on, aka our suitcase that fits in the overhead bin. That just has clothes in it and nothing that we wouldn’t want to keep out of our sights while on the plane. That is the bag we usually gate check.

Why we don’t check it earlier? Because it is Jet Blue and I don’t want to pay an additional $125, wait $250 RT just to check my suitcase since our flights for April, well it’s $$$$$ here in the east coast.

I don’t bring any huge bottles of liquid as we stay at my sisters and have a rental. So we buy once we get there.

But next year we are also going to Disney, and we are debating renting a car for a day just to get some groceries for the 11 days we will be there. Along with that will be shampoo, sun screen, etc.... Worse case we will check one bag with liquids for at least the flight down.

So what do you let them take?

Small backpacks just go under the seat so there’s no point in checking this. Gate checking the bag with clothes is exactly my nightmare, of them losing it. If they would deliver it to the gate instead of the carousel, which airlines used to be more willing to do, I would like that because there’s less chance of it being lost in transit.

If there’s no room by the time you board (or no perceived room...grumbling at the dingbats who were so sloppy with their bin-bags last night) they’ll take the bags that would go in the bins. So if you’re boarding among the last, rearrange your stuff so your electronics and medications and nececessities for the flight can go in a bag that fits under the seat. Just in case.

We keep our small carry ons below our seat, sometimes my DH will put his back pack overhead but he likes his crap too for the plane.

When you gate check your bigger suitcase, aka your vacation clothes, you can actually watch it load. They bring it down the ramp you’d walk to board the plane then they drop it down to the tarmack and they load it.

...When you board the plane, sometimes an announcement is made that they are looking for volunteers to gate check their bags due to the flight being full and not enough overhead storage is available. They will take your carry on bag, tag it and send it down to be checked. Then, you need to go to baggage claim to get it

Usually the bags that people end up gate checking are the roll aboard ones, not ones that fit under the seat in front of you.

One time I got on a flight and as we were the last ones and at a bulkhead seat they told me there was no more room and they would gate check my bag for me so I gave it to them with out even thinking. Halfway through the flight I remembered that my camera 35mm SLR camera (it was almost 20 years ago) was in the bag. I always put it in my carry one as it was easier to get around with only one bag. Arrive in JAX and guess what? My bag didn't show up. Went to the agent and told them my bag didn't make it, right away she asked me if my name was Jim and was it black with a certain name tag on it. She said as soon as my flight left they called her and told her they forgot to put it on the plane. Doh!! Luckily when it showed on the next flight my camera was still in it.

The past few trips to WDW with 3 of us we have packed one carry on with stuff for each of us in case of a DME bag delay etc. We each carry our personal item with our own electronics in them. I have my laptop bag with my laptop, iPod, and tablet. DW and DD have a back pack with their stuff. All that stuff goes under the seats. As much as I would hate it as we are trying to get to WDW quick if they need to take the carry on and gate check it they could.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter