Joe Rohde consulting with WDI

irlandaise

DIS Veteran
Like I hope he can help

But let's be honest its not Imagneers that are failing us.....look at Mickey Runaway Railroad and Star Wars ROTR.....when they get proper budgets they kill it still the issue is Disney now has mandates unlike before

Splash was mandated to be a log ride but Tony baxter was about to use the theming of his choosing over now Disney is like
The attraction must be this kinda ride, have XYZ characters and must have these ties ins

Like I hope he can help

But let's be honest its not Imagneers that are failing us.....look at Mickey Runaway Railroad and Star Wars ROTR.....when they get proper budgets they kill it still the issue is Disney now has mandates unlike before

Splash was mandated to be a log ride but Tony baxter was about to use the theming of his choosing over now Disney is like
The attraction must be this kinda ride, have XYZ characters and must have these ties ins
No.

Like I hope he can help

I'm having trouble understanding your posting. I don't know what theming Tony Baxter was about to use before Disney made him do something else, but all three of the attractions you mentioned were based on Disney's existing intellectual property characters. And all three are very popular and well respected.

Would I like to see some attractions spring from original ideas, like HM and POTC? Or Joe's Expedition Everest at DAK? I sure would. But the Imagineers can hit it out of the ballpark with Disney IP, too.

I'm having trouble understanding your posting. I don't know what theming Tony Baxter was about to use before Disney made him do something else, but all three of the attractions you mentioned were based on Disney's existing intellectual property characters. And all three are very popular and well respected.

Would I like to see some attractions spring from original ideas, like HM and POTC? Or Joe's Expedition Everest at DAK? I sure would. But the Imagineers can hit it out of the ballpark with Disney IP, too.
My point is

Corporate is what is in the way of amazing new attractions....everywhere your disappointed at the park you could have the best Imagneers EVER doesn't matter if the top dogs are forcing things to be XYZ

Like Galaxy Edge being an amazing land but being forced to be canon and only in the sequels era

So cool Joe is talking to WDI but I don't think it will change the future of the parks much

Like I hope he can help

It's not all about budgets. Fact is WDI can't manage a budget to save its life. It's laughable how much their projects cost and how much time they take, it's outright embarassing.

All their projects are OVER funded if anything these days but they under deliver. Just look at Pixar Pier which cost 120 million to add tubes to a roller coaster and transport a ride from Bugs Land. Imagine how many state of the art attractions 120 million dollars should realistically make?

Guardians Tower transformation was 55 million dollars. Again I don't see how.

Their competitors are knocking it out of the park such as Universal making better modern attractions at a fraction of the budget and timeline WDI has.

That Moana Maze taking 5 years to build and breaking after a month in Epcot? 5 years to clone a ride they just built in Shanghai to Magic Kingdom?

The bureaucracy and bloat causes WDI to be so inefficient. Not saying that the higher ups in Disney have their back though but they are failing in many ways beyond budgeting.

My point is

Corporate is what is in the way of amazing new attractions....everywhere your disappointed at the park you could have the best Imagneers EVER doesn't matter if the top dogs are forcing things to be XYZ

Like Galaxy Edge being an amazing land but being forced to be canon and only in the sequels era
YMMV. I think Galaxy's Edge is just fine with the location and time period it represents. I don't know what non-canon design you wanted. A number of people have said they wished it were based on Tatooine or another place in the original trilogy, but of course then it would be tied to that canon so I guess you wouldn't like that either.

YMMV. I think Galaxy's Edge is just fine with the location and time period it represents. I don't know what non-canon design you wanted. A number of people have said they wished it were based on Tatooine or another place in the original trilogy, but of course then it would be tied to that canon so I guess you wouldn't like that either.
It feels like a real place but had an attraction cut, live shows cuts and the fact we can't have Vader because of time line

Im just being a voice of reason to not get too many people hyped

Disney used to have people that could voice ideas and made a ton of new attractions now its all IP based and limits the kinda attractions depending on price/what they see as a need for the parks vs how it used to operate

We had Walt's Time, Roy's Time (WDW) and then the 80-90s where they were tying to add thrill rides but still allowed people to imagine things and now we are in the modern era everything must be an IP

It feels like a real place but had an attraction cut, live shows cuts and the fact we can't have Vader because of time line

Im just being a voice of reason to not get too many people hyped

Disney used to have people that could voice ideas and made a ton of new attractions now its all IP based and limits the kinda attractions depending on price/what they see as a need for the parks vs how it used to operate

We had Walt's Time, Roy's Time (WDW) and then the 80-90s where they were tying to add thrill rides but still allowed people to imagine things and now we are in the modern era everything must be an IP
Welcome to corporate America. Unfortunately everything has to make sense to the bottom dollar. ;(

I'm not interested in sitting through a video to find out whether there's any new information. Was there? I suspect not, since any official word on further involvement would come from Rohde or Disney directly.
"New Info" depends on what you know already. ;)
I think there is speculation that he is coming back to do big things, but nothing in concrete, yet.

"New Info" depends on what you know already. ;)
I think there is speculation that he is coming back to do big things, but nothing in concrete, yet.
Thanks, Chili. What any of us in the public know already is that Rohde is doing some master classes at WDI. As you say, everything else is speculation at this point. I sure hope he does come back in an ongoing role. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not seeing a bright future at Virgin Galactic at the moment (as much as I admire Richard Branson).

Thanks, Chili. What any of us in the public know already is that Rohde is doing some master classes at WDI. As you say, everything else is speculation at this point. I sure hope he does come back in an ongoing role. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not seeing a bright future at Virgin Galactic at the moment (as much as I admire Richard Branson).
I think (maybe was Fresh Baked?) video talks about how adding Bruce Vaughn & "Knighting" Rohde is a sign of good things to come as far as parks/lands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter