Joy in the World ~ a magical Christmas weekend! real life update 04/07

Such a lovely time exploring the Epcot resorts!
It was so fun! I love the level of detail that goes into the decor. Plus the Epcot area resorts are some of my favourites so it is always a pleasure to visit.
Two more of our holiday favorites! We enjoy Voices of Liberty year round but think seeing them during the holidays is extra special and I always recommend anyone visiting then stops to see them.
They really were spectacular. I could have listened to them for hours. :)
Oh wow! Years ago like in 2012 when we stayed there they had an adorable gazebo with lots of characters on it. Then around 2016?? we stopped in when touring the other BW area resorts and they had almost nothing :( I'm glad they've stepped it up again!
It was so good! Did you notice the little Minnie and Mickey baking inside the Boardwalk bakery? It was the cutest!

Leaving Germany with a very full stomach, I meandered over to Italy where I was lucky enough to come across La Befana. This is the recounting of the Italian Christmas tradition. According to legend, La Befana was invited to accompany the three wise men to Bethlehem to greet the Christ Child. She did not reply in time and in the 2000 years since, she has searched everywhere for the Christ Child on the eve of Epiphany hoping that she might yet see him. The performance was brilliant and I really, really enjoyed it.

THat is a fascinating story! I would love to see more of those and have a re-do at a Christmas visit.

Along with the storytellers, I was taking part in the Chip and Dale scavenger hunt. Hidden within each pavilion was a wreath featuring Chip and Dale. Some were fairly easy to find while others proved to be elusive.

I did the Remy Hunt this F&W and did get the mug. I think it's a reasonable price and are fun hunts to do in EPCOT! And yes, some were super hard!

I happened upon a performance of the "Voices of Liberty" done up as Dickesenian Christmas carolers. This was another spectacular performance and I counted myself very lucky to have seen it.

WHOA!!! I have always adored their costumes and would LOVE to see this rendition. Wouldn't it be fun to be their costume designer?!

The Gingerbread house at the Boardwalk or should I say the Gingerbread Boardwalk (??) was extraordinary. I simply could not get over the level of detail!

Someday I'd love to go back at Christmas and skip the party but spend more time doing the Tree Walk at DTD, seeing all the gingerbread houses and other decorations at the resorts. It is a lovely time of year there!

THat is a fascinating story! I would love to see more of those and have a re-do at a Christmas visit.
I really enjoyed the holiday storytellers. You could spend a couple of days in World Showcase just taking in the various performers and holiday kitchens.
I did the Remy Hunt this F&W and did get the mug. I think it's a reasonable price and are fun hunts to do in EPCOT! And yes, some were super hard!
If I had have had more time, I think I would have got them all. But I had fun with it and it's a great way to explore the pavilions a bit more.
WHOA!!! I have always adored their costumes and would LOVE to see this rendition. Wouldn't it be fun to be their costume designer?!
It certainly would! They are so incredibly talented!
Someday I'd love to go back at Christmas and skip the party but spend more time doing the Tree Walk at DTD, seeing all the gingerbread houses and other decorations at the resorts. It is a lovely time of year there!
It is such a lovely time of year at Disney. I feel as though I only scratched the surface but I will definitely be back!

I meandered over to Italy where I was lucky enough to come across La Befana. This is the recounting of the Italian Christmas tradition. According to legend, La Befana was invited to accompany the three wise men to Bethlehem to greet the Christ Child. She did not reply in time and in the 2000 years since, she has searched everywhere for the Christ Child on the eve of Epiphany hoping that she might yet see him. The performance was brilliant and I really, really enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing the story. We stopped to listen but the sun was blazing so I had to move along.

While looking through the American pavilion, I happened upon a performance of the "Voices of Liberty" done up as Dickesenian Christmas carolers. This was another spectacular performance and I counted myself very lucky to have seen it.

Love this soooo much!

I had high hopes of the carousel and was not disappointed as this years theme was Peter Pan! The level of detail was breathtaking.

I'm so sorry I missed this. I love Peter Pan.

Would it be a triumph or a disaster? Stay tuned!

I sure hope the weather didn't get you.

Thanks for sharing the story. We stopped to listen but the sun was blazing so I had to move along.
It was pretty warm and sunny where I was too but I was soaking every bit of it in. We have a long, cold winter in Canada.....
Love this soooo much!
Me too!
I'm so sorry I missed this. I love Peter Pan.
Peter Pan is one of my faves.
I sure hope the weather didn't get you.
I only had one rain shower the whole time. The only thing I found is that it got pretty chilly at night.
following
:welcome: , nice to have you along!

That Gingerbread Boardwalk is really amazing. When we were in WDW in December, we had very little time to explore but we did do a Monorail tour one day which was really nice. i would love to see the EPCOT resorts decorated someday as well.

We also only stopped to watch two storytellers since my DD16 wasn't super interested in any of them. I really want to plan an early December trip with my DH because he would really love all that kind of stuff ::yes::

Some of them were much harder to find than I expected!!

Uh oh.
I know! Some were really tricky and I just didn't have as much time as I would have liked. It was so fun though. :)
That Gingerbread Boardwalk is really amazing. When we were in WDW in December, we had very little time to explore but we did do a Monorail tour one day which was really nice. i would love to see the EPCOT resorts decorated someday as well.

We also only stopped to watch two storytellers since my DD16 wasn't super interested in any of them. I really want to plan an early December trip with my DH because he would really love all that kind of stuff ::yes::
You will love touring the Epcot resorts.....they are amazing! I think Christmas trips are ideally suited to a couples or solo trip. It is lovely to not have to worry about what the kids might like to do.

What lovely displays at the resorts :lovestruc I find that I don't spend nearly enough time at other resorts... there's always so much to see! But I can't shake my "park hop til you drop" mindset :rotfl2:

I haven't been to Rose and Crown in ages - excited to hear about your meal there!

An enchanted evening in Epcot

Heading back through International Gateway after my fun few hours exploring the resorts, I was excited to see the Main Mouse doing a meet and greet by the railings . I quickly hopped in line and was soon hanging out with Mickey himself. I think the closing of the Character Spot led to the fab four being out and about in the parks but whatever the reason, I loved seeing them.
IMG_5845 (1).JPG

I headed towards the UK pavilion as I had a little time to kill before my 4:00 reservation at the Rose and Crown. I enjoyed taking in the last of the set of the British Revolution, then browsed though the shops for a bit. Upon checking in at the R&C podium, I was told they were running at least 1/2 hr behind and to take a seat somewhere. Finally at 4:35, my pager went off and I went back to get seated, Now if you have ever been to the R&C on the patio, you'll remember there is an awkward three top right as you enter the patio. It's directly across from the servers station and is indisputably the worst table you can get. Any guesses as to which table they sat me at??? I was not pleased at all and requested an indoor table. I was told it would be at least another 40 minutes for a two top inside. Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!

I was fuming at this point but decided I would try to make the best of a bad situation and ordered myself a Cider and Black (Strongbow cider with blackcurrant juice). This proved to be delicious and helped to take the edge off a bit.
IMG_5565.JPG

As I was on the Candlelight Processional Dining package, I was entitled to a starter, main and dessert. I thought the description of the Coronation salad look appealing so I went for that.

Coronation Salad
Crisp Salad with an Apple-Madras Yogurt Dressing on top of a Crunchy Lentil Cracker
$12.00
IMG_5566.JPG

This is the sad reality of what I received.....maybe 8 somewhat limp lettuce leaves, 3 halved grape tomatoes, a few shreds of grated carrot and raisins. To add insult to injury, the cracker was stale and there was far too much dressing. I salvaged what I could of it and hoped my main course would be better. Could you imagine charging $12.00 (!!!!) for the likes of that salad???

For the main I went for the Scottish salmon with mashed potatoes and green beans. While the plating was totally uninspired, the salmon was perfectly cooked to medium and the potatoes and beans were well seasoned and piping hot. This goes for $27.00 on their menu.

IMG_5567.JPG

I was looking forward to dessert as I adore Sticky Toffee pudding and decided to go for that along with a cup of tea. Now I don't know why you can never get tea made with freshly boiled water in the US....the water is hot but not boiling and you need boiling water for proper tea. Yes, I was cranky over this whole experience by this point and was really hoping dessert would be delicious. Sadly, I got the driest, most tasteless piece of sticky toffee pudding to ever exist. The custard sauce was barely lukewarm and instead of the traditional (at least in Canada) whisky caramel sauce there was a rum butter sauce that tasted of nothing but sugar. Not the ending I was hoping for.
IMG_5568.JPG

Under the Candlelight Processional package, I had prepaid $62.00 for this meal. Separately priced, it came out to $51.00. It seemed as though most of the package guests were out on the patio with lackluster service and not the best atmosphere. I will say the next table in front of me were the sweetest couple who invited me to come and eat with them as they didn't think anyone should be by themselves so close to Christmas. It was very kind of them but I decided to stay at my own table. We had a lovely chat though and I appreciated their warmth and thoughtfulness.

I was headed off to ride Frozen Ever After now and fought my way through the crowds of people towards Norway. Note to self.......do not go to Epcot on the weekend again! FEA was as sweet as always and I really enjoyed it. I thought about getting a drink before the show but lines were crazy everywhere. Instead I hopped in line to wait for the 8:15 showing. The crowds were insane! I was so thankful to have guaranteed seating as people in the stand by lines were waiting up to 4 hours. Gary Sinise was the narrator for the Candlelight Processional that night and he was absolutely incredible. The show was everything I hoped it would be. I was so overcome by emotion during the Hallelujah chorus and their rendition of Oh Holy Night. Even now, five weeks later I still tear up thinking of that experience. I was so engrossed in the beautiful voices of the young people in the choirs, the Voices of Liberty singers, the symphony orchestra and the pageantry of the trumpeters. I didn't take any pictures as I wanted to be fully present in every moment. It was an experience like no other and I look forward to the day I can see it again.

Originally I had planned to head back to Future World before park close but I was so tired so decided to head back to Pop instead. Can I just say how much I loved the Skyliner??? Such an awesome way to travel! I was back at Pop with 20 minutes of leaving Epcot and decided to drop by Everything Pop for some tea and a treat. I went for the Oatmeal Cream cookie (two oatmeal cookies with marshmellow buttercream, drizzled with cinnamon and chocolate fondant). All I can say is that I found my new favourite Disney snack. This cookie is fabulous!!
IMG_5569.JPG

It was time to turn in after an incredible Disney day! I needed to be ready for a 14 hour fun filled day on Sunday including my first ever time at MVMCP!

What lovely displays at the resorts :lovestruc I find that I don't spend nearly enough time at other resorts... there's always so much to see! But I can't shake my "park hop til you drop" mindset :rotfl2:

I haven't been to Rose and Crown in ages - excited to hear about your meal there!
Just posted my review of R&C! I love park hopping but resort hopping is super fun too! :)

I headed towards the UK pavilion as I had a little time to kill before my 4:00 reservation at the Rose and Crown.
Ah! This is one place I haven't tried... but have wanted to for a long time.
I enjoyed taking in the last of the set of the British Revolution
I've only seen them once, but really liked them. :)
Now if you have ever been to the R&C on the patio, you'll remember there is an awkward three top right as you enter the patio. It's directly across from the servers station and is indisputably the worst table you can get. Any guesses as to which table they sat me at???
Oh, no...
I was told it would be at least another 40 minutes for a two top inside. Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!
:headache:
ordered myself a Cider and Black (Strongbow cider with blackcurrant juice).
That sounds good!
This is the sad reality of what I received.....maybe 8 somewhat limp lettuce leaves, 3 halved grape tomatoes, a few shreds of grated carrot and raisins.
Wow. Talk about underwhelming.
Could you imagine charging $12.00 (!!!!) for the likes of that salad???
But think of the profit margin!

No?

:sad2:
While the plating was totally uninspired, the salmon was perfectly cooked to medium and the potatoes and beans were well seasoned and piping hot.
Thank goodness for that at least.
Now I don't know why you can never get tea made with freshly boiled water in the US....the water is hot but not boiling and you need boiling water for proper tea.
So... even at a "British" restaurant, they couldn't do it??
How... odd!
Sadly, I got the driest, most tasteless piece of sticky toffee pudding to ever exist.
:(
Well, that's a bummer.
I will say the next table in front of me were the sweetest couple who invited me to come and eat with them as they didn't think anyone should be by themselves so close to Christmas.
Really! That's... so nice!! :goodvibes
Note to self.......do not go to Epcot on the weekend again!
I think that's the whole idea. You can't turn around without it being another festival. And the locals love it. And come in droves.
Gary Sinise was the narrator for the Candlelight Processional that night and he was absolutely incredible.
Really! He's awesome. And probably one of the best people on the planet.
The show was everything I hoped it would be. I was so overcome by emotion during the Hallelujah chorus and their rendition of Oh Holy Night.
You know... The CP has never really been on my radar. Just... I dunno… figured there were better uses of my time.
But... you've really changed my mind. Now I really want to see/hear it!
Can I just say how much I loved the Skyliner???
Yes please do!
. All I can say is that I found my new favourite Disney snack. This cookie is fabulous!!
Glad something could make up for your earlier disappointment.

I've only seen them once, but really liked them. :)
One of my favourite things to do is to grab a pint from the bar at the R&C and settle in for a full set of the British Revolution.
That sounds good!
It was great....easily replicated at home too as the blackcurrant juice is just Ribena.
But think of the profit margin!
Let's say $11.50 profit??
So... even at a "British" restaurant, they couldn't do it??
How... odd!
Nope!
Really! That's... so nice!! :goodvibes
They were so lovely!
Really! He's awesome. And probably one of the best people on the planet.
He certainly is! The things he does with his foundation for gold star families are just amazing. He could just sit back and enjoy his life but he is out constantly trying to make a difference in the world. I have such respect and admiration for him.
You know... The CP has never really been on my radar. Just... I dunno… figured there were better uses of my time.
But... you've really changed my mind. Now I really want to see/hear it!
Definitely go see it. It is an experience like no other.
Yes please do!
It is a game changer. I am starting to hear rumours of extended routes as well.
Glad something could make up for your earlier disappointment.
It certainly did......best snack ever!

That's such a shame that your Rose and Crown dinner left a lot to be desired. I guess the silver lining is that the salmon was good and you were able to watch the Processional. It's an amazing show, and reading about your experience made me wish I could see it again.

Along with the storytellers, I was taking part in the Chip and Dale scavenger hunt. Hidden within each pavilion was a wreath featuring Chip and Dale. Some were fairly easy to find while others proved to be elusive. This was an enjoyable way to get in to the heart of the pavilions and explore a bit.
How fun, I didn't know they did this around the holidays. Casey has done a few of them during other festivals and always enjoys them. Gives her something to do while we want to eat and drink around the world :D

The Gingerbread house at the Boardwalk or should I say the Gingerbread Boardwalk (??) was extraordinary. I simply could not get over the level of detail!
IMG_5559.JPG
Wow, that is pretty fantastic. Wonder if there is a bar inside flying fish :confused3

I quickly hopped in line and was soon hanging out with Mickey himself. I think the closing of the Character Spot led to the fab four being out and about in the parks but whatever the reason, I loved seeing them.
IMG_5845 (1).JPG
This is so much better than the character spot. I don't think I've ever seen Mickey meeting outside and it just make the whole thing pop.

t's directly across from the servers station and is indisputably the worst table you can get. Any guesses as to which table they sat me at??? I was not pleased at all and requested an indoor table. I was told it would be at least another 40 minutes for a two top inside. Yet, five minutes later the next people in line are led inside to a two top!!!!!!
Oh no! Clearly we are not off on the right foot

IMG_5566.JPG

This is the sad reality of what I received.....maybe 8 somewhat limp lettuce leaves, 3 halved grape tomatoes, a few shreds of grated carrot and raisins. To add insult to injury, the cracker was stale and there was far too much dressing.
Suddenly our California Grill peach salad is looking pretty good

Sadly, I got the driest, most tasteless piece of sticky toffee pudding to ever exist. The custard sauce was barely lukewarm and instead of the traditional (at least in Canada) whisky caramel sauce there was a rum butter sauce that tasted of nothing but sugar.
Oh no Susan, what a horrible meal. At least your got the processional out of it though

Note to self.......do not go to Epcot on the weekend again!
We've made this mistake too and never again. Sunday evenings aren't that bad, but you couldn't pay me to try it on a Saturday or Friday night

The show was everything
:love::love::love: Glad this make up for your meal

That's such a shame that your Rose and Crown dinner left a lot to be desired. I guess the silver lining is that the salmon was good and you were able to watch the Processional. It's an amazing show, and reading about your experience made me wish I could see it again.
The great thing about Disney is that there are so many other options to choose from. I won't go back to F&C for dinner but it's still a great spot to stop for a pint. I absolutely adored the CP and it was a phenomenal experience.
This is so much better than the character spot. I don't think I've ever seen Mickey meeting outside and it just make the whole thing pop.
It was so wonderful! Minnie was meeting on the other side and Goofy was along the bridge towards the France pavilion. It really added an element of magic and whimsy to see them out in the parks.
Suddenly our California Grill peach salad is looking pretty good
It sure is!
We've made this mistake too and never again. Sunday evenings aren't that bad, but you couldn't pay me to try it on a Saturday or Friday night
Lesson learned for sure! I'll stick to my Tuesday/Thursday Epcot schedule from here on out.
:love::love::love: Glad this make up for your meal
It was the most amazing experience.
Your Rose and Crown experience sounds pretty grim :(
Definitely not the dinner experience I was hoping for. I think sometimes when things are paid in advance, the meal standard and service declines. The good thing is that there are many other wonderful places to choose from in Epcot. :)

One of my favourite things to do is to grab a pint from the bar at the R&C and settle in for a full set of the British Revolution.
Nice. While I don't drink beer, I could find something else and do that. :)
It was great....easily replicated at home too as the blackcurrant juice is just Ribena.
Never heard of Ribena?
He certainly is! The things he does with his foundation for gold star families are just amazing. He could just sit back and enjoy his life but he is out constantly trying to make a difference in the world. I have such respect and admiration for him.
::yes::
It is a game changer. I am starting to hear rumours of extended routes as well.
I have, as well. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!