** June 2020 Check In **

Joining in as a WDW vet taking my first trip to DLR!!

My family is spending a week at Newport Beach, so my husband and I are sneaking away for two days to do DL and DCA. We'll be there 6/14 and 6/18, staying at the Hotel Indigo Anaheim before our first park day. Super excited!!

Hi all. Trying to lock down dates and Im going back and forth to which is better. Plus it depends on our other travel plans in the summer. Does anyone have first hand experience with grad nites? If we have to go early we'd probably do June 3rd - 8th and work around grad nites and only have to do the parks one of the those days and the other two park days will be non grade nites? Any advice is helpful. We'd stay Onsite, take advantage of extra magic hours and purchase max pass. 😉

Hi all. Trying to lock down dates and Im going back and forth to which is better. Plus it depends on our other travel plans in the summer. Does anyone have first hand experience with grad nites? If we have to go early we'd probably do June 3rd - 8th and work around grad nites and only have to do the parks one of the those days and the other two park days will be non grade nites? Any advice is helpful. We'd stay Onsite, take advantage of extra magic hours and purchase max pass. 😉
I think grad nites are less disruptive now that they are at DCA.

We always go the first week of June and there are grad nites during that week every year. Honestly, I don't notice a difference other than you see more big groups with matching t-shirts but it's kind of fun to see where they all come from. That being said - my sister is a high school teacher and I work at a large university so we have developed a thick skin and ability to ignore some of the common behaviors that can be typical with this age group. You can choose to be annoyed by it or you can choose to join in with their celebration and be happy for them...I choose the latter because I'm at Disneyland and want to celebrate too!!

We always go the first week of June and there are grad nites during that week every year. Honestly, I don't notice a difference other than you see more big groups with matching t-shirts but it's kind of fun to see where they all come from. That being said - my sister is a high school teacher and I work at a large university so we have developed a thick skin and ability to ignore some of the common behaviors that can be typical with this age group. You can choose to be annoyed by it or you can choose to join in with their celebration and be happy for them...I choose the latter because I'm at Disneyland and want to celebrate too!!

would you say it’s an ok time for crowds regardless of grad nites? I’m just worried about wall to wall and it being too busy to enjoy. We will do early mornings and utilize max pass!

I think you've been over this and over this so many times for almost a year now. There is no set of "perfect" dates for anyone. You know your family's schedule better than anyone here could know it. Choose the dates that work best for your family, then make a DLR plan that will work around that. Make sure that everyone packs their best attitude, and go have fun!

Surprising my kid for her birthday. We're going to tell her on June 10th, her actual birthday, and a week later, we leave for Cali. Just a heads up for everyone here - I wouldn't doubt that everyone on this forum will be able to hear her screams of excitement at roughly noon eastern time on the 10th.

I'm starting to get excited, because I'll be there for my birthday on the 20th.

would you say it’s an ok time for crowds regardless of grad nites? I’m just worried about wall to wall and it being too busy to enjoy. We will do early mornings and utilize max pass!

We've always had good luck with crowds that week - it is busy for sure but not crazy can't walk busy. Last year was an anomaly which was so so so nice!! No one was at the parks that week unless they had a Galaxy's Edge reservation - We walked up to the castle about 10 minutes before fireworks and watched with space around us to breathe it was amazing. It won't be that way again but it will be plenty doable utilizing mornings and maxpass which is our strategy as well. We take afternoon breaks and come back for dinner/night time entertainment every day.

We've always had good luck with crowds that week - it is busy for sure but not crazy can't walk busy. Last year was an anomaly which was so so so nice!! No one was at the parks that week unless they had a Galaxy's Edge reservation - We walked up to the castle about 10 minutes before fireworks and watched with space around us to breathe it was amazing. It won't be that way again but it will be plenty doable utilizing mornings and maxpass which is our strategy as well. We take afternoon breaks and come back for dinner/night time entertainment every day.

Thanks! Thats my thoughts, we've never been into taking breaks and coming back when my kids were younger at DW. My DH has always been were going once to the park and pushing till were done ha. But now that they are older 11 and 8 its easier to go back and forth, no strollers, no actual naps needed (they would sleep in stroller) etc. And DL makes its so easy bc we are gonna stay at DLH so walking back and forth will be a breeze. Do nights tend to calm down more or does it stay consistently busy once afternoon crowds come in? My thoughts we'll just continue stacking FP's then go back, enjoy those, get dinner and watch any fireworks or Fantasmic

Thanks! Thats my thoughts, we've never been into taking breaks and coming back when my kids were younger at DW. My DH has always been were going once to the park and pushing till were done ha. But now that they are older 11 and 8 its easier to go back and forth, no strollers, no actual naps needed (they would sleep in stroller) etc. And DL makes its so easy bc we are gonna stay at DLH so walking back and forth will be a breeze. Do nights tend to calm down more or does it stay consistently busy once afternoon crowds come in? My thoughts we'll just continue stacking FP's then go back, enjoy those, get dinner and watch any fireworks or Fantasmic

It stays pretty consistently busy once afternoon hits. It does get chilly in the evenings - I'm from Arizona so maybe take that with a grain of salt :) - I wear a hoodie, gloves, and a scarf once the sun goes down. For me chilly is anything below 80 degrees and once it's below 60 I consider it full on winter weather :) :)

It stays pretty consistently busy once afternoon hits. It does get chilly in the evenings - I'm from Arizona so maybe take that with a grain of salt :) - I wear a hoodie, gloves, and a scarf once the sun goes down. For me chilly is anything below 80 degrees and once it's below 60 I consider it full on winter weather :) :)

Ha we live in VA. June is SO hot here and humid but not as bad as August. Im anxious about the weather and how to dress. Would I dress the sam as if I were going to DW in June HAHA

Ha we live in VA. June is SO hot here and humid but not as bad as August. Im anxious about the weather and how to dress. Would I dress the sam as if I were going to DW in June HAHA
Use the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- they have so much helpful information! From those sticky threads: * DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! >> from that sticky: HydroGuy Tips Compilation >> from that thread: "Detailed Weather Data for DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158 & "Comparison of Weather For WDW and DLR" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1711098

Be checking the local weather for Anaheim, CA about a week before your trip dates and be checking this forum to see if there is any weird weather going on in the parks. Ask then about what to pack -- you'll get up to date information that way. Generally speaking, in June, layers will be your friend. Cooler mornings, warm afternoons, cooling once the sun goes down. If you do nighttime entertainmnent (e.g. WOC or F!), you'll want hoodies or light jackets -- it can get surprisingly chilly in the viewing areas by the water.

I can't do the humidity anymore - I grew up in Indiana so I know what it's like but having lived in the desert now for so long I just can't do it. California is humid to me although people say it isn't - it just depends on what you're used to. I've never been to Florida and have no idea what that's like so unfortunately I'm no help on the wardrobe question. I wear jeans, tennis shoes, and t-shirts during the day and then bundle up once the sun goes down which may not be the preferred park attire for most people.

I can't do the humidity anymore - I grew up in Indiana so I know what it's like but having lived in the desert now for so long I just can't do it. California is humid to me although people say it isn't - it just depends on what you're used to. I've never been to Florida and have no idea what that's like so unfortunately I'm no help on the wardrobe question. I wear jeans, tennis shoes, and t-shirts during the day and then bundle up once the sun goes down which may not be the preferred park attire for most people.

FL in the summer is basically you're a popsicle and you step out in the sun for 5 minutes. Imagine what happens 😂 One year we went in Sept right after Labor Day. It was amazing for crowds. I mean literally the lowest Ive ever seen. BUT OMG I died everyday. It was so hot and miserable. Now some people can handle it. I just sweat and am so uncomfortable so it really made enjoying the open walk ways hard because it was too hot to just leisurely walk around. I am excited to experience CA weather!

This is what I do. But we haven’t been during the summer for a long time.

Road tripping from Nebraska to California. This will be our son's 4th trip to Disneyland. He's 6 and has autism. He LOVES the parks. Well, he did on previous trips so hopefully he still does. Hoping to get the DAS pass like last time because that was a huge help for him. This will be his first multi-day road trip though so I am a bit nervous about that.

Days in California = June 22nd - June 29th. Staying at the Desert Inn.

Last edited:
june 21-26 Desert Inn & Suites

We overlap with you at the Desert Inn. We'll be in a parlor suite, which I think are all on the 4th floor.

June 17 - 24 staying at the Desert Inn and Suites. This is my fourth trip/third as a family. We’ve always stayed at the HoJo, but DIS price and proximity won out this time.

Never stayed at the Hojo. But we've been at the Desert Inn 3 times now and liked it. Nothing fancy but so close to the parks and a good price, for sure! We never swim so pools make no difference to us.

Road tripping from Nebraska to California. This will be our son's 4th trip to Disneyland. He's 6 and has autism. He LOVES the parks. Well, he did on previous trips so hopefully he still does. Hoping to get the DAS pass like last time because that was a huge help for him. This will be his first multi-day road trip though so I am a bit nervous about that.

Days in California = June 22nd - June 29th. Staying at the Desert Inn.
I’ll update soon. New surprise baby came this week. 😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter