Just Back 11/20 From The Cabins....

Oh, yes!

Great weather.

Crowds were nothing on Friday and Saturday..we walked on to all the rides. It got pretty bad on Sunday and Monday..I think the Thanksgiving crowd was starting to roll in.

The DD's love getting the character autographs more than anything....I had Disney character fabric swatches that I
put on embroidery hoops and the characters signed those (going to make a quilt). When we saw Tigger it just happened that his face was the fabric swatch on my 8 year olds hoop...he spent the whole time bouncing he was so excited and the look on her facing was incredible.

We got a golf cart with no reservation, they had plenty, and wouldn't have done without it to get around.

The mousekeeper we had was teriffic..did all those wonderful designs with the towels and the stuffed animals we brought.

What amazed me most of all....even though we were in a newer loop where the trees weren't mature...we never saw other people around us. The cabins are all laid out so that none of the deck areas face each other. So, even tho' we could see a bunch of cabins, we never had people staring at us while we were outside. It was very private.

Cost of beer, pop and milk etc at the Trading Posts was REALLY high ($20.00 for a 12 pack of Corona). But we discovered a Publix just a few miles from the park.

Thanks for asking!
Crowsie

Questions, oh yeah, we have a few. First of all what were the best and worst things about the cabins? How much were the cart rentals, and do you really need them? I understand there is maid service, but do they, ( ok I'm embarrassed to ask, but...) have turndown service? We think FW is a really great place, but were not the rugged outdoors type. Thanks for your help:)

Hi There Pluto's Pup...

Let me first say that my idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn instead of a Hyatt!

This was definitely NOT roughing it!

There were lots of best things about the cabins..the privacy, cost savings by eating meals in the cabin, very relaxing, tons
to do at the resort, plenty of room for 4 adults and 2 kids, enough pillows/towels etc, location to the parks. The Mousekeeper we had did a fantastic job...she made animals from the towels and used the kids stuffed animals as props..the first thing the kids did when we came back to the cabin was check out what the Mousekeeper had done. We never asked for turn-down service so I can't answer that. There was only one bathroom but it was very large. They delivered the Orlando newspaper every morning.

The worst things...there were only six place settings so sometimes we had to hand wash silverware etc. The street signs
and directions around the resort were not very clear. They frequently had "Do Not Enter" signs that were for cars, but came to find out it actually was the path to take for the golf carts..we got lost a lot the first couple of days. The Trading Posts for supplies were very expensive. But we shipped all our dry goods done ahead of time and carried our frozen meats on a cooler on the plane..all we had to by at Publix was salad stuff, milk and eggs.

Golf carts?? Absolutely!!! We wanted to come and go as we please and not be at the mercy of the bus. We would all of a sudden decide to take off and go see fireworks, or just cruise to see the sights..it was fun! I believe they are about $45
a day, but the resort is huge (3 sq miles) and very spread out.

We took our car to all of the parks except the Magic Kingdom. It was very quick to get in and out of the resort and in to the parks. When we went to the Magic Kingdom we took our golf cart to the Marina and caught the boat across the lagoon. Even though they said the 1st boat left at 8:45 in the morning...we were there about 8:30 and it was already very close to full.....

We loved it and will definitely do it again.

Crowsie

Finally, someone who understands me when I say, my idea of roughing it is a 2 star hotel.:D Thanx for all of the FW cabin info!

Glad to hear that you had a great time. Just a quick question, we're going at Christmas time, Been there before but don't remember do they have filters for the coffee? Also, is it a coffee maker? Thanks

Hey Crowsie
What loop where you in????? I know of no new loops at FW...
Are you sure the loop you where in was not just redone????
Sounds like you had a great time......

Plutospup,
We love Ft. Wilderness and the cabins, but there is one major drawback IMO. The murphy bed. If you need to use it it is very uncomfortable and SMALL. If you are used to sleeping in a King or even queen sized bed it can be a big problem. The mattress on the Murphy bed hurt DH's back so much he slept on the floor the entire time!

Thanks for the tip, Belle 5. If necessary, I'm sure my 4yo DD would love to save Daddy's back by sleeping on the Murphy Bed. "Wow, a special bed that pulls down from the wall...Can I sleep on that Daddy?!" We can only hope! lol

Hi All...
Sorry it's taken so long to reply, I was off-line for a week or so....

Joycemarie....there are 2 coffee makers, both Mr Coffee-type with basket filters. The 4-cup maker is on the counter and
the 12 cup maker is in the cabinet above the pantry. Both take basket (not cone) type filters. We used the the 8-12 cup size filter and they worked in both makers. The filters are NOT provided.

We4mickey...you're right..I think we were in one of the more recently redone loops....2500 Cedar Creek, Cabin 2503.
We were kitty-corner from the pool...very convienent!

Belle5..my husband and I slept in the murphy bed and we had just the opposite experience...we have a king bed at home and my DH is 6'2"....he had no complaints about the size and ours was very comfortable..maybe it was newer???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter