Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloelovesdisney

DIS Veteran
We went with extended family last week and one grandparent had a DAS. Walking to the various attractions to get a return time scan was a bit of an over exertion for her, so I basically became the DAS return time scan collector.

I'm not a huge fan of the system, even though she only chose 2 attractions at each park to use it, it added a lot of extra time on my part. I'll try to plan a bit better next time, it always seemed to be on the opposite side from wherever we were in the park at the time. Given that anyone in the group is able to go and get the return scan, it would be so much easier if it could be done on the app.

I had flashbacks to the days when I had to take everyone's tickets and run around to get the old style fastpasses.

Any talk about them making any changes to this system?

On the upside she was very pleased with it, but she could not have done it solo or just with my dad there.

None that I have heard of. Unfortunately Disney dose not talk about things until they want you to know about them so there might be something. Sounds like mom has some mobility needs does she use something to help with that.

I'd like the option of a return time for the longest current SB in that park. (I.e., I go to any ride with FP to get an "any ride" return time for the longest wait of that entire park.)

I can't leave my 2 DS on their own (both are disabled) - to be a return time runner - and the less they walk the better. Even if it was 3+ hours (FoP at AK), sometimes I'd prefer that (we could just eat lunch, or watch a show, etc.) to getting my kids to/from the other side of the park.

Yes, I often plan to get a return time, then do things in the area of that ride, but I'd like the option - especially when there's nothing near the desired ride and its a far walk in August heat.

Maybe some tweaks to your planning. Try to get the DAS when you first enter a "land" or section of a park. That way you can do other attractions in that area during your wait and you aren't criss-crossing the parks all day. You don't mention if it was an open-ended choice she had, but I would try to plan options within a specific area rather than a blank "which ride next?" sort of thing. If she makes her choice ahead of time, you can plan "first we'll go to Tomorrowland and ride X,Y,Z. Then we'll go to Fantasyland and we'll get a return time for Pooh when we get to Fantasyland; we can ride A, B,C while waiting." (or eat, or restroom break, or whatever is in that area and fits your schedule.

Enjoy your vacation!

Why doesn't WDW use the Guest Relations kiosks like DL does for DAS? It is SO much easier! They have about 4-5 kiosks set around each park and you can go to any of them and get a return time for any ride in either park. I hate the way WDW does it, because the WDW parks are SO huge. Also, it doesn't work well with park hopping that you can't get your DAS in advance of going to the second park.

Once again, DL finds a way to be more efficient while WDW lags behind.

Why doesn't WDW use the Guest Relations kiosks like DL does for DAS? It is SO much easier! They have about 4-5 kiosks set around each park and you can go to any of them and get a return time for any ride in either park. I hate the way WDW does it, because the WDW parks are SO huge. Also, it doesn't work well with park hopping that you can't get your DAS in advance of going to the second park.

Once again, DL finds a way to be more efficient while WDW lags behind.
The region why Disneyland does the kiosk is becuse there is no room to have a return time at each ride ( from what I have been told). I do like the idea of being able to get a return time for any ride at any ride at the park but I think this too should be a need bast thing and not given to everyone with a DAS

The region why Disneyland does the kiosk is becuse there is no room to have a return time at each ride ( from what I have been told). I do like the idea of being able to get a return time for any ride at any ride at the park but I think this too should be a need bast thing and not given to everyone with a DAS

Having DAS in the first place IS a need-based thing :confused3

Having DAS in the first place IS a need-based thing :confused3
But some people like kids with ASD if they go to a ride to get a return time and they see the ride and do not ride it this can and dose course meltdown if there is just one parent then there
Is no runner to get a return time. So there would be a need for the DAS but there would also be a need to be able to get a return time some where other then the ride it self. Someone that might need a DAS becuse they need quick access to a bathroom could go to the ride to get a return time.

But some people like kids with ASD if they go to a ride to get a return time and they see the ride and do not ride it this can and dose course meltdown if there is just one parent then there
Is no runner to get a return time. So there would be a need for the DAS but there would also be a need to be able to get a return time some where other then the ride it self. Someone that might need a DAS becuse they need quick access to a bathroom could go to the ride to get a return time.

It would be absolute insanity to try and manage a DAS system where there were "convenient" kiosks but only SOME DAS holders could use them. Nevermind the fact that NOBODY is in any place to judge the depth, or details of a DAS need. DAS access (especially now that mobility/fatigue is not eligible for DAS) has to be consistent for ALL who are granted DAS, CM's are not medical personnel and cannot judge the severity or details of anyone's needs.

It would be absolute insanity to try and manage a DAS system where there were "convenient" kiosks but only SOME DAS holders could use them. Nevermind the fact that NOBODY is in any place to judge the depth, or details of a DAS need. DAS access (especially now that mobility/fatigue is not eligible for DAS) has to be consistent for ALL who are granted DAS, CM's are not medical personnel and cannot judge the severity or details of anyone's needs.
it not happen so no worries

and the CM are already judging who get the DAS and who does not I will just say I do not like the one size fits all they have right now

They aren't judging need - all they are confirming is whether the issue is mobility based or not. The ADA rules prevent it from being much more than that.
they do judge needs I am done with this I stated my opinion you do not I agree with this that is ok

No room? At WDW, it is simply a CM standing at the line entry with a scanner. It doesn't take any room. Disneyland also has line CMs stationed at line entry points, just as WDW does. And at Disneyland, you can be at the other park in 5 minutes of walking, so being able to get a DAS for either park from either park is a no brainer. I can see how at WDW, maybe it would be unfair with the time it takes to get from one park to another.

I think WDW really needs kiosks like Disneyland has where you can get a return time for any attraction at any kiosk or at the attraction, or even better simply allow requesting the return time from the MDE app once you are setup with a DAS.

No room? At WDW, it is simply a CM standing at the line entry with a scanner. It doesn't take any room. Disneyland also has line CMs stationed at line entry points, just as WDW does. And at Disneyland, you can be at the other park in 5 minutes of walking, so being able to get a DAS for either park from either park is a no brainer. I can see how at WDW, maybe it would be unfair with the time it takes to get from one park to another.
You can also get a return time from each attraction at Disneyland, you don't have to go to the kiosk anymore if you are already by the attraction, so you get your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter