Just back, DAS return time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Why is everyone here so concerned over people who use DAS think that person is getting an "Advantage". I see more able-bodies over the years circumvent Disney's loop holes that took a long time for Disney to close. Example Rider Switch. Parents went around collecting cards and their kids got to ride multiple times in a row. Back when the had paper fast passes. The machines didn't know the difference between valid ticket media and expired ticket media. We saw one family with a stack of paper fastpasses rided the same ride 10 times while we stood stand-by. It's very rare now with DAS that a person can ride mutiple times. The most one can hope for is twice on the same ride by using a DAS and FPP. Another person might be able to do the same thing by using the grab tap and modify FPP.
Or how about throw away reservations for that matter? They finally closed that loop hole. Or how about when you could book FPs for your on-site stay and up to 60 days after? Or the people would get a FP in the morning and then wait until late in the evening to return?

The list goes on and on and yes, there are far more that find ways to abuse the FP system than abuse the DAS.

I am simply trying to suggest a way to reduce meltdowns and the extra walking/travelling that often has to be done at Disney World because you have to go all the way to the attraction to get a return time and yes, I have seen kids melt down because they can't go on the ride right away, if it isn't in view, then the meltdowns tend not to happen. And no, the kids I have seen do this should not have been in the standby queue.

Question: Why is everyone here so concerned over people who use DAS think that person is getting an "Advantage". I see more able-bodies over the years circumvent Disney's loop holes that took a long time for Disney to close. Example Rider Switch. Parents went around collecting cards and their kids got to ride multiple times in a row. Back when the had paper fast passes. The machines didn't know the difference between valid ticket media and expired ticket media. We saw one family with a stack of paper fastpasses rided the same ride 10 times while we stood stand-by. It's very rare now with DAS that a person can ride mutiple times. The most one can hope for is twice on the same ride by using a DAS and FPP. Another person might be able to do the same thing by using the grab tap and modify FPP.

I agree 100% on previous abuses, and I’m glad that those loopholes have been closed.

And to be clear, I don’t believe that anyone who is using the DAS according to Disney’s rules is abusing the DAS. I’m not against the people who are following the rules, I’m against that particular rule.

And I’m tired of hearing DAS users who grab a return time then run off to ride with FP complaining about the extra walking caused by DAS. Because in those cases, DAS isn’t the cause of the extra walking - they’re choosing the extra walking.

I do not know any guest that could go 12+ hours walking around the park without a break so if a person needed to charge their chair they would take a break and charge their chair

You just want to have extra above every other guest get which is not what the DAS is for.
A chair takes ay least 3 hours to benefit from a charge without damaging the battery, how many people do you know that take 3 hour breaks multiple times a day?

Booking a return time through the app or st a kiosk is not extra and heck, as I have said before, it isn't even an issue for me personally, but I have seen many people for whom it is indeed an issue.

I agree 100% on previous abuses, and I’m glad that those loopholes have been closed.

And to be clear, I don’t believe that anyone who is using the DAS according to Disney’s rules is abusing the DAS. I’m not against the people who are following the rules, I’m against that particular rule.

And I’m tired of hearing DAS users who grab a return time then run off to ride with FP complaining about the extra walking caused by DAS. Because in those cases, DAS isn’t the cause of the extra walking - they’re choosing the extra walking.
Well, I am sorry you are against keeping things fair, luckily for all of us you don't run things.

I have given you example after example of why this rule exists to keep things fair, yet you willfully ignore those because they don't fit in with your preconcieved notions. I have also pointed out how it isnt just about extra walking, but again you ignore those points.

Last edited:
You can’t “keep” something fair that is already unfair.
You are right, it is very unfair to those that need the DAS to have to wait twice as long as everyone else that can use the standby. At least offering FP to be used with the DAS helps to keep it a little more fair, although still isn't completely fair to those who need the DAS.

So you are right, you can't keep it fair because it is unfair to those who need return times by it's very nature.

But hey those who can use standby have less people in front of them as a result.

I have given plenty of examples of how it is unfair to those who need the DAS. The DAS is more than fair to those who can use the standby queues though, giving them a for greater advantage than those who can't, so maybe only DAS holders should be allowed to use FP by your logic?

Well, I am sorry you are against keeping things fair, luckily for all of us you don't run things.

I have given you example after example of why this rule exists to keep things fair, yet you willfully ignore those because they don't fit in with your preconcieved notions. I have also pointed out how it isnt just about extra walking, but again you ignore those points.

You’ve given zero examples about why allowing FP during the wait time is fair.

Nada, zip, zilch.

You are right, it is very unfair to those that need the DAS to have to wait twice as long as everyone else that can use the standby. At least offering FP to be used with the DAS helps to keep it a little more fair, although still isn't completely fair to those who need the DAS.

So you are right, you can't keep it fair because it is unfair to those who need return times by it's very nature.

But hey those who can use standby have less people in front of them as a result.

I have given plenty of examples of how it is unfair to those who need the DAS. The DAS is more than fair to those who can use the standby queues though, giving them a for greater advantage than those who can't, so maybe only DAS holders should be allowed to use FP by your logic?

Other than wheelchair users who need accessible cars, which I agree needs to be addressed, who else with a DAS waits “twice as long as everyone else”?

Same goes for you lucky you are not in charge of how things work

Life is not fair it never will be. I would do anything in this world not to have my disability and I think I speak for most I miss out on more things becuse of it. Even at Disney their is a lot I can not do like meet and greets how long are the rear chariters wait time at the parties I have done two in the 5 parties I have been to and spent the rest of the night meltdown ( and I go alone so no one to hold my place ) and yes I have talk to GR about this a few times) and then at home I miss out on a lot of things it is not even funny. Every trip ( beside the one day trips) I have missed FP becuse if my disabilit and I can not let you how many DAS return time I have not used becuse something came up ( I have 20+ return time ticket just sitting in my Disney stuff drawer ) but just like any other guest Disney will never be prefect so why should I get an unfair advantage and be allowed to get a return time across the park this to me is very unfair. You seem to want better access them other non disabled guest and if this is something you really feel you need email or stop my guest relation and talk to Disney. It almost seem that you think if we agree with you then Disney will change their policy but whether we agree on here or not will not change how Disney is doing thing

no matter what anybody here thinks is fair, it is up to Disney, not us. And since the DAS return time already shows up on the app, I don't believe it will be long before you will be able to get the return time through the app. just my 2 cents.

Sometimes Disney best intentions misses the mark. Over the years we have made tremendous strides with my son. The biggest hurdle we face is obtaining DAS return times. I rely heavily upon my husband to keep our son distracted while I go seek out a DAS return, since he still hasn't grasp that we aren't just getting in line. I usually volunteer to do the extra walking while my husband and son sit on bench that is not close by.

no matter what anybody here thinks is fair, it is up to Disney, not us. And since the DAS return time already shows up on the app, I don't believe it will be long before you will be able to get the return time through the app. just my 2 cents.
I can see this happing but I think what would be fair is that you have to be with in 20-30 feet of the ride entrance and then you could get s return time for the ride. This would make it just like another gust that must walk to the ride to get in line would avoid the waiting for gust infron if you to get there return time ( this really dose not happen that often and most of the time the CM will take of an extra 5-10 minutes)

Or how about throw away reservations for that matter? They finally closed that loop hole. Or how about when you could book FPs for your on-site stay and up to 60 days after? Or the people would get a FP in the morning and then wait until late in the evening to return?

The list goes on and on and yes, there are far more that find ways to abuse the FP system than abuse the DAS.

I am simply trying to suggest a way to reduce meltdowns and the extra walking/travelling that often has to be done at Disney World because you have to go all the way to the attraction to get a return time and yes, I have seen kids melt down because they can't go on the ride right away, if it isn't in view, then the meltdowns tend not to happen. And no, the kids I have seen do this should not have been in the standby queue.

People who are eligible for DAS can also do the above, so your logic is illogical. LOL!

Once again, your logic proves the other side of the argument more than your own.

Definitely do plan next time. We tour around the rides we know DAS will be used, if we DAS Soarin we will ride living with the land or eat at Sunshine, DAS for FoP? We can do The lion King or Navi River.

Depends on your definition of equal, does equal mean you have to walk further than everyone else in order to be accommodated

To be fair... next time you can try planning out your days in the parks. By so doing, you wouldn't have to walk necessarily any/much further than anyone else. We have done detailed touring plans for our trip, planning our rides and trips to grab DAS, to require the least amount of walking possible.

Last edited:
Let's try....just for a minute....to remember that the folks who are using DAS are already at a disadvantage of some form. It's getting a little frustrating to see so many comments that seem to be forming "solutions" as though DAS users are fully able-bodied/able-minded.

OF COURSE there will always be a handful who do take advantage. But it's not the majority.

This 100%.

It appears some people are so focused on the "fairness" of DAS compared to regular riders and only focusing on the short term details. Nobody seems to care that if my son spins out and we have to pull him out of the parks for a couple of hours, or another DAS holder has to take medically necessary long breaks away from the rides, the rest of the non-DAS world is still able to choose whether they stay in the parks and continue to ride rides.

At the end of the day, it balances out.

:worship:

A mobility device would still have extra traveling to do, this is either physical exertion for a manual chair or battery drain for an ECV.

But alas, I can see where people truly stand in the realms of being fair to those with disabilities, obviously this is the wrong board for people who want to see true fair ess in the system.

I think that you feel that those that are disabled are somehow owed something. Most people have some kind of issues. You are getting the extra help that you need by even getting a DAS but for some reason that is not good enough for you. You seem to want even more and better then the extra help is already provided. No one said that life is fair. And I am sure that I am not the only one questioning your reasoning for putting yourself through the stress of going if it so difficult for you and you are obviously not feeling like you are getting any benefit from your trips.

I have never had it take 5 minutes. I don't know where you are getting this from. It might FEEL like 5 minutes, but unless they have a problem with the system, 5 minutes is an exaggeration.
Yes it dose not take 5 minutes I was behind someone getting a DAS I heard what his return time was guess what my return time was one yes one minute latter. It took the CM one minute to give me a return time not 5 like the PP said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!