Just back from AKV-Jambo savannah studio....Never Again-

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
will I use the points for a savannah studio. But will I stay at AKV again-oh, yes! I stayed right across the savannah (sunset) from where I stayed a few years ago, only then I'd been in a value studio. The value studio wasn't available this time, so I paid more points for essentially the same view and no discernible difference in room size. I found the DVC laundry room and whenever I looked in, no one was using it. On the day I checked out, they changed my door key to the new RFD type. The laundry room already had that style door lock, and if anyone's ever seen "Vacation" where Sparky Griswold's trying to figure out where to put the gas nozzle to put gas in his new car, that's the way I was for several minutes. Good thing no one came by! The newspapers no longer get delivered to your room, but just go to the elevator area and there's a stack of them. I ate breakfast at Boma and learned that the scrambled eggs with goat cheese and chives aren't offered every day, but just ask and they'll make them for you-I did and they did. Although I didn't eat at Jiko, I browsed their menu and the Filet didn't mention macaroni and cheese any more. And the former Halibut with tomato-like sauce, that I used to like, is now Perch. My only housekeeping complaint was that my room only had 3 paper bowls, no plates, and a small selection of plastic ware. So I had to replenish it from Mara. Also, the coffee pot still had coffee in the bottom.

As I understand it, Value rooms could have any view type but are all under the same booking category. So if you book a Value, you might get a savanna view or you might get a parking lot view.

As I understand it, Value rooms could have any view type but are all under the same booking category. So if you book a Value, you might get a savanna view or you might get a parking lot view.

You're right. I just reread my post and realized that I may have given the impression that you get a savannah view with a value studio. I forget how many of the value studios have a savannah view, about 30% I think. And I also thind that they won't take requests for view with value studios. However, there are so many places around the resort to see animals, and value studios are so many fewer points, I'll gamble and hope I get a savannah view. But if not, that's OK.

will I use the points for a savannah studio. But will I stay at AKV again-oh, yes! I stayed right across the savannah (sunset) from where I stayed a few years ago, only then I'd been in a value studio. The value studio wasn't available this time, so I paid more points for essentially the same view and no discernible difference in room size. I found the DVC laundry room and whenever I looked in, no one was using it. On the day I checked out, they changed my door key to the new RFD type. The laundry room already had that style door lock, and if anyone's ever seen "Vacation" where Sparky Griswold's trying to figure out where to put the gas nozzle to put gas in his new car, that's the way I was for several minutes. Good thing no one came by! The newspapers no longer get delivered to your room, but just go to the elevator area and there's a stack of them. I ate breakfast at Boma and learned that the scrambled eggs with goat cheese and chives aren't offered every day, but just ask and they'll make them for you-I did and they did. Although I didn't eat at Jiko, I browsed their menu and the Filet didn't mention macaroni and cheese any more. And the former Halibut with tomato-like sauce, that I used to like, is now Perch. My only housekeeping complaint was that my room only had 3 paper bowls, no plates, and a small selection of plastic ware. So I had to replenish it from Mara. Also, the coffee pot still had coffee in the bottom.

I really enjoyed your pics on my Animal Thread on the DVC Resorts board. I was just telling DH about them last night. We, like you, would like to be able to save points, especially when we're taking so many people with us! Thanks again for "helping me feel better about it.":thumbsup2

Thanks for this info, I am about to book our resort for Spring Break and am leaning towards using David's to get an Animal Kingdom Villa Studio. They said that the lowest price range isn't available and I have to go with the next step up.
We have never stayed at AKL, just been over for dinner and to look around. I'm concerned about the comfort level of the double sleeper sofa...what did you think about it?
Were you in Kidani Village or Jambo....and should I ask for one over the other? Looks like some of the rooms at Jambo might be a lot smaller, but then it would be nice not to have to do the long walk from Kidani every time you want to catch a bus, go to the pool, etc.

I was at Jambo house. There are pros and cons to both Jambo and Kidani (I think they're listed in another thread). I always prefer Jambo because it's close to the butternut squash soup and the vanilla cupcakes at Mara.

I can vouch for the comfort of the sofa, since I fell asleep beside DD one night. We loved Kidani and Jambo. Each has its benefits.

We're in a Jambo House savannah view room right now (a 1Br...5312). I am speechless over this amazing room. We did BLT for the first 4 days of our trip in a studio and the last 3 days at AKLV. I wish we had spent the whole trip at AKL!

Also, the coffee pot still had coffee in the bottom.

EWh.

But yea, I agree w/you. My best savannah view room was one I never booked.
We stayed "arusha" savannah & sunset savannah twice. Never saw any animals.

Last time we were assigned a standard room at the very very end of the hall which was recategorized as a standard room, by where the Giraffes feed. At 10am, we watched 5 giraffes stand there feeding, while gazelles (or whatever they are) galloped in. Best savannah room we'd ever had, while it wasn't a savannah booking.

We will never go out of our way to book a savannah room again unless its a GV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter