Just back from an affordable trip to Tokyo Disney!

@ elaine

We've never had any language difficulties within the Disney parks. From memory, the only attraction we skipped was "Turtle Talk with Crush" since it was completely in Japanese and primarily aimed at children.

Everything else was either in English, had English translations available (either written or a little iPad like gizmo), was in a mix of Japanese and English or could be easily followed in Japanese simply through the gestures used, etc.

Sorry, I just remembered, we also skipped the Fortress Explorations - The Leonardo DaVinci Challenge at DisneySea because part of it (maybe the map itself) was only available in Japanese.

The Fortress Explorations map is in English - as are at least some of the attractions within there. I'm not sure about the DaVinci Challenge, though.

If you are on a solo trip, and there are no photopass photographers, how would you recommend still getting pictures? I'm going solo in September and am curious about this...

@ sperkins - If a cast member isn't busy, I'm sure they would take a photo.

Otherwise, I don't think you would have any trouble finding another guest who would help. Maybe try to learn how to say "would you,please take my photo" in Japanese. Otherwise pointing at your camera, yourself and saying Kudasai/Arigato/Sumimasen should do the trick.

Or you could always invest in a selfie stick if they're not banned in Japan!

I am not sure if selfie sticks are expressly banned at Tokyo Disney, but we saw them EVERYWHERE in Japan - EXCEPT at Disney so I'm guessing they are.

Taking photos for others was something we experienced a TON when we were in Japan in 2013, but thanks to selfie sticks, we didn't get it as much this spring. It's too bad because it was always an interesting cultural experience!

That being said, we didn't have any trouble getting photos taken for us at Disney. If a cast member happened to see us attempting to do an arm-length selfie or taking pictures of each other, they would rush over to insist on taking photos for us. Other guests would often do the same. Likewise, with other guests, there seems to be an unspoken "we take your photo; you take our photo" rule, especially at photo-op spots and character meets (unspoken for us especially since we don't speak Japanse!). Many individuals asked us to take photos for them so I wouldn't worry about being a solo traveler - that is not unusual at all. Interestingly, the Japanese tend to expect you to take several photos in various poses - a little different than what we've experienced in the US. I took photos for several senior-aged ladies who would do several cute poses...then move a few feet and do the routine with a slightly different background. :-) Whenever we had photos taken for us on our camera, we'd get at least 6 versions of the photo. They probably wondered why we just kept standing in the same pose.

I am not sure if selfie sticks are expressly banned at Tokyo Disney, but we saw them EVERYWHERE in Japan - EXCEPT at Disney so I'm guessing they are.

Taking photos for others was something we experienced a TON when we were in Japan in 2013, but thanks to selfie sticks, we didn't get it as much this spring. It's too bad because it was always an interesting cultural experience!

That being said, we didn't have any trouble getting photos taken for us at Disney. If a cast member happened to see us attempting to do an arm-length selfie or taking pictures of each other, they would rush over to insist on taking photos for us. Other guests would often do the same. Likewise, with other guests, there seems to be an unspoken "we take your photo; you take our photo" rule, especially at photo-op spots and character meets (unspoken for us especially since we don't speak Japanse!). Many individuals asked us to take photos for them so I wouldn't worry about being a solo traveler - that is not unusual at all. Interestingly, the Japanese tend to expect you to take several photos in various poses - a little different than what we've experienced in the US. I took photos for several senior-aged ladies who would do several cute poses...then move a few feet and do the routine with a slightly different background. :-) Whenever we had photos taken for us on our camera, we'd get at least 6 versions of the photo. They probably wondered why we just kept standing in the same pose.

I figured selfie sticks were banned since when they banned them here in the States it was supposedly Disney wide, even though TDR isn't really owned by Disney I figured they'd follow along.

But I also was hoping that this experience that you had was what it would be like over there- where everyone will help take everyone else's photo. I got a kick out of the little grannies striking a pose and then moving a few feet, striking poses again, moving again, etc lol. They probably do wonder why we just pose in one spot and are done. lol

When you stayed at the offsite hotel & dealt with taking the jr train into the parks in the morning, were you part of the insane commute to work people were doing?
I've been SEARCHING for a cheaper hotel that has transportation to the parks provided but am having trouble around the dates we're going, and don't really want to be part of that rush hour commute

When you stayed at the offsite hotel & dealt with taking the jr train into the parks in the morning, were you part of the insane commute to work people were doing?
I've been SEARCHING for a cheaper hotel that has transportation to the parks provided but am having trouble around the dates we're going, and don't really want to be part of that rush hour commute
Not at all. It's absolutely nothing like being in central Tokyo. It's a much different area with not a whole lot going on so it is way less busy. You mostly just see other people going to Disney. We loved where we stayed and the commute to Disney could not have been simpler or painless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter