Just back from Arizona/Utah

Quick update. We are "On your own time" at Grand Canyon right now. Tour this morning was awesome. Everything has been amazing. We have never have seen, done or know as much as we do now without their knowledge. Looking forward to Moab tomorrow. Guides are fantastic.

What did you do for your OYO time at the GC?

You will love Moab - have a great time!

Last edited:
What did you do for your OYO time at the GC?

You will love Moab - have a great time!

We took the bus to pick up additional supplies at the market and walked back through the walk of time path. My kids are SUPER picky eaters and I needed some personal items. It's nice they have that store so close. We had dinner close by and then it POURED. First time our guides have seen it rain on a trip. It was something to see coming through Canyon.

We are now at Moab and just returned from Arches Hike. Whew that was tough in 100 degree weather but we made it. It was worth it. Boys are at the pool and I'm in room relaxing before dinner. This place is so unique and lovely. Everyone is so very helpful and nice.

On side note. I noticed they changed plans for next year to stay at Gouldings for 1night due to long bus time. I would not have been happy. Redcliffs resort is amazing. The drive was not bad at all. The guides made it fun I think this is a bad decision on Disneys part. However they may have some very cool things planned in Monument Valley. Changing hotels 4 nights out of 7 would be annoying. Most of the people on our trip agrees.

We took the bus to pick up additional supplies at the market and walked back through the walk of time path. My kids are SUPER picky eaters and I needed some personal items. It's nice they have that store so close. We had dinner close by and then it POURED. First time our guides have seen it rain on a trip. It was something to see coming through Canyon.

We are now at Moab and just returned from Arches Hike. Whew that was tough in 100 degree weather but we made it. It was worth it. Boys are at the pool and I'm in room relaxing before dinner. This place is so unique and lovely. Everyone is so very helpful and nice.

On side note. I noticed they changed plans for next year to stay at Gouldings for 1night due to long bus time. I would not have been happy. Redcliffs resort is amazing. The drive was not bad at all. The guides made it fun I think this is a bad decision on Disneys part. However they may have some very cool things planned in Monument Valley. Changing hotels 4 nights out of 7 would be annoying. Most of the people on our trip agrees.

Thanks for your trip notes - we leave in a couple of weeks and it's so helpful to hear from you. What if anything did you wish you brought but didn't? Did you wear hiking shoes for example? Sun shirts?
Enjoy the rest of your days!

Thanks for your trip notes - we leave in a couple of weeks and it's so helpful to hear from you. What if anything did you wish you brought but didn't? Did you wear hiking shoes for example? Sun shirts?
Enjoy the rest of your days![/QUOTE

We just wore our sneakers but hiking boots would have been better. We had to wear shoes with most traction on them. If you think you will wear again then buy them.

We saw that change also, and agree with you 100%. The drive was not that bad to do in one day and RCL is so great, we loved being there 3 nights. And with splitting up the drive, you miss out on OYO time in Moab that you will now have in Monument Valley. I think being in Moab was much better. I wonder if they will switch it back.

IMG_2164.JPG It's arrived! Thanks for the warning that it wasn't going to be as good as the past. However, receiving it does get us even more excited for our trip!

We saw that change also, and agree with you 100%. The drive was not that bad to do in one day and RCL is so great, we loved being there 3 nights. And with splitting up the drive, you miss out on OYO time in Moab that you will now have in Monument Valley. I think being in Moab was much better. I wonder if they will switch it back.

The change was probably an economic reason as much as "bus ride" issue. I would be curious the difference in price per night of each hotel room. I guess for those in the future that never had the three night stay at Red Rocks than they don't know what they will be missing.

The change was probably an economic reason as much as "bus ride" issue. I would be curious the difference in price per night of each hotel room. I guess for those in the future that never had the three night stay at Red Rocks than they don't know what they will be missing.
Actually, and this is just a guess and an observation, but I think ABD gets a lot of complaints from people who don't like the long bus rides. I think that's one of the reasons they changed the Scotland itinerary so much. It's sad, sad, sad, because the drives are totally worth it, but a lot of people don't see it that way.

Sayhello

Actually, and this is just a guess and an observation, but I think ABD gets a lot of complaints from people who don't like the long bus rides. I think that's one of the reasons they changed the Scotland itinerary so much. It's sad, sad, sad, because the drives are totally worth it, but a lot of people don't see it that way.

Sayhello

I maybe in minority but long drives with breaks do not bother me. They make the time fly by. One of my children's favorite part of vacation was playing Jeapordy on the bus to pass time.

We just finished our trip. It was amazing. Only downside was it rained on our cowboy cookout last night. It was still a great day of rafting and enjoying Redcliffs Lodge. It has been our favorite vacation yet. My sons agree and they are teenage boys. If anyone has questions let me know.

I maybe in minority but long drives with breaks do not bother me. They make the time fly by. One of my children's favorite part of vacation was playing Jeapordy on the bus to pass time.
Oh, I totally agree with you. On this trip, I'd brought all sorts of audio books, etc, to entertain myself on the drives, and actually never touched them. The scenery was so amazing, I spent the whole time watching it change.

Unfortunately, a lot of people these days require constant entertainment. :( They have no clue how to entertain themselves.

Sayhello

Oh, I totally agree with you. On this trip, I'd brought all sorts of audio books, etc, to entertain myself on the drives, and actually never touched them. The scenery was so amazing, I spent the whole time watching it change.

Unfortunately, a lot of people these days require constant entertainment. :( They have no clue how to entertain themselves.

Sayhello
I'll take a little bit of issue with this - we have 2 pretty active boys, and sitting and looking at scenery just isn't a realistic expectation. We had a couple long bus rides in Alaska, and it was fine, but definitely our maximum. We are looking for active and engaging vacations and I don't think that means we don't know how to entertain ourselves.

Sayhello

Scenery alone kept me entertained. I made my boys put their iPads down to appreciate it. We are only talking 2-3 hrs at a time. Easy to go without electronics. No wifi or cell service anyway. Lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!