Just back from OKW

Sammy

DIS Veteran
Ahhhhh.....just back from 8 glorious nights at OKW. Ended up checking in after midnight, and still got a villa close enough to HH. We requested a first floor villa due to stepdad having some mobility issues, and were placed in Building 15, room 1512. It seemed a little smaller than the villa we stayed in last year (building 12), especially the master bathroom area. We had a great view from the patio: fairway to the left, and a pond and fountain to the right. Spent every morning having coffee out there with the birds....it was beautiful and very relaxing!

The villa was clean and everything was in good shape, but I can see that some of the areas could really use a deep cleaning, especially the bathroom areas. Don't get me wrong, nothing was "dirty", and the main rooms were wonderful....but the areas around the shower stall door and window could use a good scrubbing with a toothbrush.

As usual, every CM we encountered was friendly and helpful. And...I'm sorry, but....even after several trips to DVC resorts, every "Welcome Home" still gives me a little tingle (pathetic, I know...LOL!).

We spent lots of time at the pools, but the main pool got crowded early. If you didn't get there early (9:30-10:00), it was hard to find several chairs together. We actually spent more time at the Miller's Road pool and had it practically to ourselves!

Ate at Olivia's for the very first time and it was wonderful!! We actually ate one breakfast and one dinner there. Breakfast was good (especially the sweet potato hash...yum!), but dinner was fantastic! Our server was friendly and funny, and the crab cakes were to die for!

Used the DDP for the very first time and ate like kings! We ate at so many restaurants we never would have without DDP. We knew we were going to be taking it easy this trip (had my Mom and Stepfather along), so we thought we'd enjoy some nice meals this time. Best meals: Cali Grill, Kona Cafe, Olivia's. At every TS we went to, walk-ups were being turned away in masses. Soooo glad we made those ADRs!

It was a very memorable trip with the parents/grandparents and we had a terrific time. I'm already sad to be back, but like any good Disneyphile, I've already started looking at when to return!

Sammy

As usual, every CM we encountered was friendly and helpful. And...I'm sorry, but....even after several trips to DVC resorts, every "Welcome Home" still gives me a little tingle (pathetic, I know...LOL!).

Sammy

Isn't that a wonderful feeling. :banana: If you're pathetic, I'm worse. I get all goofy when I drive under the signs saying "welcome to Walt disney World".

Glad you had a great trip.

Isn't that a wonderful feeling. :banana: If you're pathetic, I'm worse. I get all goofy when I drive under the signs saying "welcome to Walt disney World".

Glad you had a great trip.

For me, it's hearing "the voice" in the airport tram on the way to baggage claim.

What can I say? :blush:

Lovely trip report,,
I for one am anxiously awaiting that "welcome Home" and don't ever think I'll get tired of it.

Ha, at least I'm not the only sad person, I also love the voice on the tram to baggage reclaim. After a long 9 hour flight, it's great to hear an American accent and means you are really on holiday.

Sounds like you had a great time and I would love to try those crab cakes at Olivia's. We LOVE OKW :love:

For me, it's hearing "the voice" in the airport tram on the way to baggage claim.

What can I say? :blush:

Ok, for me it is the billboards with the attractions advertised on them. I get so excited!!! I keep pointing them out to the kids, but they don't seemed as thrilled as I am.

Heck, for me its just seeing the signs for Orlando on the highway! We live in SC and drive everytime and I start getting the jitters once we turn onto I-4 :)

Great report! I think we were there at the same time, but we were over in the Turtle Pond area. We were right above where you were last year and it's our favorite location. How was the parking at this time of year? When we stayed in #1522, our only complaint was that it was often hard to find parking. However, we went at Thanksgiving, so it may have just been that it was a busy time of year. Did you get over to Gurgling Suitcase at all? One night there was a bartender who made the best drinks! When were you at California Grill? DS and DDIL spent their anniversary dinner (4/24) there. Like Miller's Road pool, the Turtle Pond pool area always had very few people there also.

I agree with HellerJW - as soon as we turn on to I-4 I feel like O'boy O'boy we are going to Disney World. Then I look for the billboards and count how many are for Universal vs how many are for Disney and always hope there will be more for Disney. :yay:

Great report! I too always start dreaming of the next trip about the minute we leave the resort for MCO!

Great report! I think we were there at the same time, but we were over in the Turtle Pond area. We were right above where you were last year and it's our favorite location. How was the parking at this time of year? When we stayed in #1522, our only complaint was that it was often hard to find parking. However, we went at Thanksgiving, so it may have just been that it was a busy time of year. Did you get over to Gurgling Suitcase at all? One night there was a bartender who made the best drinks! When were you at California Grill? DS and DDIL spent their anniversary dinner (4/24) there. Like Miller's Road pool, the Turtle Pond pool area always had very few people there also.

Hello! :wave2:

We really liked this location too! We had no problem with parking, but I can see how it would be in busier times; it was pretty limited right in that little semi-circle. We did go over and get a drink one night, but didn't sit out too long because it was quite cool that evening. We were at the Cali Grill on Sunday the 22nd and we were celebrating my parents' anniversary! We had such a wonderful dinner and the waitstaff was awesome. We told them (on the sly) that we were celebrating and they sat us at a table sprinkled with Mickey confetti, and brought out special desserts for my parents. We sat at a table overlooking the Grand Floridian and MK. The hostess came over and took a picture of all of us, then presented it to my parents in a Cali Grill frame. It was the best time!

Thank You for this trip report. We are going (in 10 days :cool1:) for a splurge, long weekend, and our first time at OKW--I can't wait!

I had to chuckle at your feeling pitiful about being moved the the "Welcome Home," but, as you can see, you are SO not alone on that. Then when you told of the special anniversary treatment, I was almost in tears--now That's pitiful :rotfl:

It's all of these "things" that make it impossible to explain Disney to those that don't go. . .thanks for making me look forward to our trip (10th anniversary-- hint, hint ;) ) even more!

SSDonut- We will be there the same time, and then both of us again in the fall. Good taste from The Tri State area!

Have a great trip!:cool1:

Thanks for the trip report. Since I won't be returning for awhile, you took me there. Glad you had a great time with your parents.

You made Cali Grill sound so good, we might have to give it another try. Last time was about 10 years ago and we found it to be very noisy, not to mention that we weren't that thrilled with the food. Now I feel like I've been missing something all these years. Maybe this December. Thanks.

Great trip report....can't wait ours is coming quickly. The kids love the "Welcome Home" at OKW. If we stay at a different resort they complain that it is not HOME!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter