Just Back From Universal Studios Hollywood

Thanks for this great report. Can you give me feedback / comparisons on the major attractions? I ride everything at Disney besides Tower of Terror - but I don't do bigger coasters at other theme parks. Can you tell me about Mummy and Transformers? I really want to experience Forbidden Journey - might take Dramamine and got for it - the motion simulators - can you give me more on what you mean by "tumbles you 360 degrees"? is there a loop? or do you spin in circles? It would be our first ride and I would hate to ruin my day and not ride anything else if I get sick. UGH decisions, decisions...

I'm not the OP, but I do know a bit about these rides. In FJ, you do travel on a track, but a good portion is motion simulation. During those parts, if you feel sick, you can close your eyes and it goes away. Same with Transformers. You move a bit on a track between screens, but most of it is motion simulation. Mummy is a coaster. You go forwards and backwards, but not upside down. We really liked it. I take bonine to be able to go on rides, so I understand the motion sickness bit.

Thanks for this great report. Can you give me feedback / comparisons on the major attractions? I ride everything at Disney besides Tower of Terror - but I don't do bigger coasters at other theme parks.
sounds like me, I dont do the traditional coasters, or ToT, I dont even do Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain :)

Can you tell me about Mummy and Transformers?
The Mummy
This is very similar to Indiana Jones. You sit in car type thing and there the barrier which is an over the head type thing with your legs around a stump thing (yes I know but I dont know how else to describe it lol) Its a tracked ride, like Indiana Jones, and stays on the the track, no loops, or upside down. Its fast and jerky with lots of effects. There are lockers to put your stuff in as there are no seat back wire pockets to hold items, take everything out of pockets, glasses and hats off etc as you will loose things.

Transformers
This is a 3D ride. On the way in you get the 3D glasses. You sit in a car, themed like a racing car, which is open at the front where the windscreen would be and the sides come down like a Delorean / Back To The Future car. I cant remember about barriers, I think it it was a pull back lap barrier. The cars are on a track, and you whizz around on the ground. There are no loops or upside down parts. Again its fast and jerky. There are alot of 3D screens where the action happens and it feels like you are in the movie. There are some special effects and animatronic props between the different screens.

I really want to experience Forbidden Journey - might take Dramamine and got for it - the motion simulators - can you give me more on what you mean by "tumbles you 360 degrees"?
is there a loop? or do you spin in circles? It would be our first ride and I would hate to ruin my day and not ride anything else if I get sick. UGH decisions, decisions...

Looking at the loading area, it LOOKS intimidating to someone who does not do coasters. You are on a suspended side by side bench thing with legs and feet off the ground and an over the head drop down barrier. The ride is ment to simulate a broom ride. Its a 3D ride where you move from screen to screen with different special effects, like smoke and wind and some real props. What I ment by "tumbles you 360 degrees" is that you tip backwards while moving sideways / forwards, kinda like Soaring. I was wearing a Time Turner necklace and it ended up in my mouth at one stage. Its alot less jerky than Mummy and Transformers. There is no loop, but some people who have issues with motion sickness might not like it.

Forbidden Journey is sort of like a more intense version of Soarin, except that the FJ vehicles actually move along a track.

Hmm, I can't handle simulator rides. I wonder if Forbidden Journey would be any fun if my eyes were closed the whole time.
We are going this weekend. I was surprised to see they close at 6pm on Saturday, but stay open later on Sunday. Is that because they are having a Halloween event like the parties at Disneyland?

Hmm, I can't handle simulator rides. I wonder if Forbidden Journey would be any fun if my eyes were closed the whole time.
We are going this weekend. I was surprised to see they close at 6pm on Saturday, but stay open later on Sunday. Is that because they are having a Halloween event like the parties at Disneyland?

Yes, Halloween Horror Nights are held at USH.

Just a heads up, almost every ride at Universal is a simulator ride. The only exceptions I can think of are Mummy, Jurassic Park, Flght of the Hippogriff, and The Walking Dead walkthrough (even the trams have simulator parts). Maybe concentrate on shows?

Just a heads up, almost every ride at Universal is a simulator ride. The only exceptions I can think of are Mummy, Jurassic Park, Flght of the Hippogriff, and The Walking Dead walkthrough (even the trams have simulator parts). Maybe concentrate on shows?

Silly Swirly Fun Ride is a kid's spinner (Think Dumbo). Also the area around it is a water play area for kids.

But plenty of Shows that can add up to a full day if you are not into rides.

I am adding a question to this thread.
Are we allowed to bring in snacks and bottled water?

YES :)
They have bag check before the ticket booths / main entrance. I had a small fanny pack style bag with a bottle of water and some small snacks and had to take it off for bag check but thats all. Just like Disney, a bottle of water, some small drinks in your back pack are fine, but not wheeling in a cool box filled with ice and a case of water.

might take Dramamine and got for it - the motion simulators - can you give me more on what you mean by "tumbles you 360 degrees"? is there a loop? or do you spin in circles? It would be our first ride and I would hate to ruin my day and not ride anything else if I get sick. UGH decisions, decisions...[/QUOTE

We rode first up and my husband was ill for most of the day after. I'd leave it until later and enjoy yourself first.

Costco online Also Sells a Season pass for 129 If you plan on going more that One day. We bought those and Love the WWHP we could spend Hours in there just Looking and Drinking butter beer :) <3

Just did Universal for the first time last week. HPFJ and the mummy were by favorite rides. I enjoyed the studio tour as well but after a while all the motion rides seem the same. I doubt I will be going back and will just stick with Disney or try Knotts next time

Thanks for sharing. We have one day planned for USH next month and I was trying to find some info on how to plan. I think I will use your tip and do lower lot first

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!