Just back from VB - Some Comparisons with HHI

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
We spent last week at VB and absolutely loved the resort. We are owners at HHI and go at least once every year. This year we got messed up though. I had our usual June ressie but had to cancel for various reasons. Then when I went to rebook I couldn't get a date at 7 months so thought why not give VB a try this year. I'm glad we did.

We had a Garden View Inn Room but we still had a great view of the ocean. We were on the third floor on the north end. Our room was in perfect condition and we had no problems at all during our stay. It was so nice being able to walk out of the Inn and be right on the beach. You can not do this at HHI, as I'm sure everyone knows. I've been one of those who always said it doesn't matter that the HHI resort isn't on the ocean, but I have to say having the ocean right there was a biggie to us last week. Another difference with HHI is the on-site restaurants. We ate at the Green Cabin Room once and Shutters three times. I thought the food and service was great. I know at HHI you have the restaurants right across the bridge and many others just down the road. But it sure was nice to just go downstairs from our room and walk into Shutters to eat. It was especially nice the day TS Andrea came through. Another big plus for VB is it's abundance of Inn rooms. As everyone knows HHI has very few Studios and if you don't book at 11 months, more often than not you will not get a Studio. VB has a lot of Inn rooms and I had no problems at all getting a ressie even at three months. On the other hand HHI has a lot more 2BR's than VB does.

Now one thing I didn't like about VB was it's remoteness. I do like to ride out in the morning and get my morning Starbucks at HHI and there is nothing like that anywhere close to VB. In fact, you can ride along A1A for miles and see absolutely nothing but high-scale gated beach communities. I missed being able to leave DW on the beach and go and explore Sea Pines, etc. Also, as much as I liked walking out on the beach at VB, I also enjoy walking over the bridge at HHI every morning and checking out the marina.

In summary, we still love HHI resort and will return there next year for our annual visit, but as I told DW, I would give anything if the VB resort was sitting on the beach at HHI.

Now on another subject. After leaving VB we headed to WDW for three days to use our PAP's. I now remember why we stopped going to WDW in June. It was very hot and very crowded. We were actually glad to leave WDW after three days. It just wore us out. We have another WDW trip booked for Oct. for F&W. I think after that we're going to take a year off. We're pretty much "Disneyed" out. I think next year, we'll just use our points and go twice to HHI or possibly one trip to HHI and one to VB. Or I may use some points for a DCL cruise :eek:.

We are thinking of visiting HHI next year for the first time. Can you tell me about the golfing nearby? My DS11 plays golf and is excited about the courses there. Also, could you fill me in on what else there is to do nearby that would be entertaining for my DS? Thanks

Thanks for the comparisons. We are owners at HHI and go every year - absolutely love it and couldn't imagine skipping it for VB. I'm sure we would love VB though!
Do they have all the activities and such at VB like they do at HHI? One thing we really love about HHI is the "summer camp" vibe, with arts and crafts, nature walks, games, fishing off the pier, etc.

Do they have all the activities and such at VB like they do at HHI? One thing we really love about HHI is the "summer camp" vibe, with arts and crafts, nature walks, games, fishing off the pier, etc.

Oh yea, except most of their activities seem to be oriented around the pool. I saw Bingo being played at one time plus every afternoon they had pool slide races. On the day TS Andrea came through they were offering activities for the children in the Inn lobby. We didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the activities, being in our 60's with no children with us, but they seemed to have a lot of stuff going on.

We need to find out more about the docks at HHI. Can we bring our own boat (anyone know)?

We need to find out more about the docks at HHI. Can we bring our own boat (anyone know)?

I would imagine you could. There is no facility at the resort to put the boat in the water, but I've seen public access to boat ramps on the island. Now parking of your trailer and boat, might be a problem around the resort as it is a rather congested area. Your best bet would be to call the front desk and ask them.

I would imagine you could. There is no facility at the resort to put the boat in the water, but I've seen public access to boat ramps on the island. Now parking of your trailer and boat, might be a problem around the resort as it is a rather congested area. Your best bet would be to call the front desk and ask them.

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter