• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back HHI

franco

Mouseketeer
Hilton Head Island (Check in July 7, Check out July 15)

Weather: It was hot and humid (but that's how I like it!!!). Couple of showers but nothing that lasted more than hour or so.

Resort: Looked great, Wood on the pier had been replaced. Also front of Live Oak lodge received a rehab (CM pointed that out during a tour)

Room: 2 bedroom 2912 (1st floor Marsh view) Arrived around 3 PM and it was ready for us! Room was good. Everything was in order and clean. Only 2 minor problems mildew on ceiling in master shower and carpet in 2nd bedroom needed to be tightened it had a bubble in it.

Activities: Awesome!!! We brought my in laws and all they kept saying was "they have so many activities for the kids." We were also impressed; previous years we felt the young ones 3 and 4 year olds were slighted but they added many new activities and my 3 year old Loved them all. As always the CM's really make the resort special (the smile on my 5 year old face when they remember her name is priceless). So many are great but my kids loved the Disney pillow arts and craft. My five year old went on and on about the un birthday party. And How can you forget CAMPFIRE!!!!

Dining: We took the advice of many on this board and went to Hudson's on the dock; it was amazing best meal of the week. It will be a regular stop on our HHI trips. Had take-out from Sticky Fingers and Del Vechio's and both were very good. Scott's Fish market was also good (but liked the food at Hudson's better). I felt slightly rushed at Scott also. Stopped at Signes bakery and thought the pastries were very good.

There was a family at the resort from ABC's Extreme home make-over which I felt was a slight distraction. Not the family they were very nice but the many producers and camera man that were following the family around(Sad story young girl has cancer that was in remission but has returned.) My major issue was that my kids love the fireworks and every year that we have gone after the pool games they give you ample time 10 -15 minutes to get set up for the fireworks; well the producers wanted a shot of just the family at the table by the campfire pit so they started the fireworks without any notice. My wife said I'm making too big of a deal out of it and to remember how blessed and lucky we are and I know but ... my kids were disappointed.

New pool towel policy was good; we think it is better than the old system. We just washed our towels with the laundry but many people traded them in for fresh towels. The new towels are larger and more plush.

We typically go July 4th week but went a week later this year; I thin I like this week it felt better less crowded at the resort and on the island in general. We never had a long wait for dinner and also never had a problem getting a table or lounge chairs at the the pool.

Oh almost forgot took the Dolphin tour with Low Country and it was tons of fun. Highly recommended saw tons of dolphins up close and personal.

I will post some pictures later.

Glad you had a great trip....

I can't wait to go to HHI one day...
kerri

We'll be there 8/12-8/15. We know it will be hot, but just cna't wait to relax! Glad to hear you have a good trip. We were in building 29 last year in June and loved the location. We saw dolphins at the mouth of shelter cove in the morning while sitting on the porch! Would love that location again.
Connears

Hilton Head Island (Check in July 7, Check out July 15)

Weather: It was hot and humid (but that's how I like it!!!). Couple of showers but nothing that lasted more than hour or so.

Standard Weather round here. Did you come over to Savannah?

We ate at Signe's last time we were on HHI. Very nice breakfast there too,

connears: we'll be there at the same time. We arrive 8/12 and check out 8/17,

I keep hearing good things about Hudson's--this may be our choice for our nice dinner out.

someday we hope to get to HHI! I'm glad you had such a great time.
Bobbi:goodvibes

Glad you enjoyed it.:thumbsup2

We were there for our 17th Anniversary in June and loved it. We hope to go back next year and bring our 2 DS as they have so much for kids.

Hey -- we we're neighbors all week. We were in Bldg 31 -- also with a great marsh view. We left the resort yesterday evening though just as the rain was coming in. We too usually go the 4th of July week (have probably 6 of our past 11 trips) but found this past week much slower and nicer.

Like you -- no complaints with the new towel policy. My wife and I both think that even we used less towels and didn't feel put out. Sad to say though that this was probably the year we did the least activities. My big kids are getting bigger and my little ones aren't so little anymore. My teens 17 1/2 and 15 1/2 didn't want to do the teen activities because last year they were the oldest in those activities. My almost 9 year and 10 1/2 year old didn't want to do many of the other activities. We didn't even do the campfire (I don't feel too bad since we do our own 2-3 times ever month at home during the spring and summer). My 3 girls did do the new tie-die shirt craft vs. gytoku.

I never seemed to notice the resort clearing out on Thursday like it did this week (or maybe it didn't but we just felt that way). We're used to Friday and Saturday early being empty but Thursday felt like a very slow day too. No complaints though.

Only think I DID miss was B'lou. He did two events Saturday night which was our checkout day and we were staying just north of Bluffton on 95 for the night so we headed out after dinner.

I guess we'll be planning our 2008 trip in the next month or so.

andy

Thanks for posting! We are leaving tomorrow morning for Hilton Head!! We are in Charleston, SC now spending a few days and then in HHI from Tuesday - Fri! I can't wait. We have a 6 year old and 3 year old. I am glad to hear there are some activities for them. We will definitely check out Hudsons!

Hi Kari,

We have just found out that we will be attending a wedding next June in Charleston. Do you have any suggestions of some things we might could do while we are there. We hope to be able to try HHI for the first time after the wedding and maybe see Savannah.

Thanks,
Kim

I've spent quite a bit of time in Charleston over the past few years, as DD just graduated from the College of Charleston!

Definitely do one of the horse-drawn carriage ride tours of the city. You will get a great overview of the popular spots and a little bit of history all at once! King Street has great shopping and you need to check out some of the booths along Market Street. Watching the weavers make their baskets is fascinating!

There are lots of good restaurants there, too. Any kids going along or just adults?

Disneyaholic thanks so much for the info! We know nothing about the area. Will definately look into the horse-drawn carriage. It will be 2 adults, a 15 year old and a 13 year old. The rehearsal dinner is at the Waters Edge overlooking Shem Creek and the reception is at the Robert Bennett House. Any (reasonable) hotel suggestions? My sister-in-law is suppose to be looking into that. I would like to turn this into a fun vacation for the family and check out HHI since we will be so close. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kim

Nice review - thanks!

My family went to HHI a few weeks ago and we loved everything about it. We're trying to rent some HHI points to book again next year at the 11 month window.

About the fireworks - I am almost positive that they are not put on by Disney. They are run by either a governmental unit or business group - Disney has just tagged along with them by having the Star Spangled Tuesday event (which we also thought was great fun). When we were there, the fireworks started just as the final song and dance was ending - people were running to the pier as the fireworks began.

Disneyaholic thanks so much for the info! We know nothing about the area. Will definately look into the horse-drawn carriage. It will be 2 adults, a 15 year old and a 13 year old. The rehearsal dinner is at the Waters Edge overlooking Shem Creek and the reception is at the Robert Bennett House. Any (reasonable) hotel suggestions? My sister-in-law is suppose to be looking into that. I would like to turn this into a fun vacation for the family and check out HHI since we will be so close. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kim

I'm not exactly sure where the Robert Bennett House is, but I think that Waters Edge is on Sullivan's Island? Both Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms are very near to downtown Charleston, but just over the bridge.

We were there in May for Meghann's graduation and rented a house in Wild Dunes on the Isle of Palms. Since it was before the "high" season, we were able to rent for less than a week. It was much more convenient than being "stuck" in hotel rooms and having to eat ALL meals out. I don't know if you would be able to do that in June, though; I would guess that all rentals at that time would have to be by the week. PM me if you want info on the company we used for the rental; it might be worth checking out!

Thanks for the report! We'll be there next month - we just live up the road but HHI is still a favorite!

Disneyaholic,

Waters Edge is on Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant!:)

Charleston w/ kids: don't forget the Charleston Aquarium! My dd went there today and said she had a wonderful time...we hadn't been in a couple of years but it's worth doing. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter