Just back! Oct. 20-27, 2018 (with pics, F&W events and signature meals)

FredQc

Fred
I have started detailed dining review threads several times, but I never found time to complete them. So I decided to go with a shorter “just back”-style review. This was a solo trip by a male, 40, annual pass and Tables in Wonderland card holder. Prices include gratuities.

Saturday, Oct. 20

Dinner - Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd Skipper Canteen
. I had a ADR here, with a FastPass for Jungle Cruise during the previous hour. It is really a nice combo! The workload before this one-week vacation has been heavy, I slept just a couple of hours before leaving for the airport, and the arrival day is a long day. So I was especially tired and I had a relaxing (while non-Signature) dinner here. Skipper Canteen is my favorite sit-down restaurant in Magic Kingdom. This is truly a good achievement of the Imagineers in the restaurant category, in pure Disney tradition (except it is not dry!). I love going to the restroom to read the “latest” news.
:rotfl2:
IMG_3374-2.jpg
While the S.E.A. Shu Mai (Society of Explorers and Adventurers) is my favorite appetizer, I discussed the other options with my server, May, and decided to go with the Shiriki Noodle Salad, “famously served at Hotel Hightower on December 31, 1899,” according to the menu (please let me know about this reference whether you catch it). I didn't regret. It was flavorful, colorful, and spicy.

IMG_3377-2.jpg

Then I ordered my favorite entree, which is a sustainable white fish, served with spiced couscous. I licked everything in this plate. The glass of wine, a Franciscan Chardonnay (California), was a good pairing. Total with tip, and TIW 20% discount: $55,73.

Sunday, October 21.

Food & Wine Festival Event - French Family Meal Traditions, Monsieur Paul
. I had experienced the Food & Wine Festival through the food kiosks, culinary demonstrations, and wine tasting seminars over the past years. This was my first F&W event. I quickly realized that for regular park goers who don't care about the amount of time spent in restaurants (e.g., annual passholders), this is the way to go! We were 8 people at the same table : three couples and two solo customers. The event was scheduled from 12:00 to 3:30pm, and it actually last a little more than three hours.

That was a 5-course meal, each paired with a glass of wine (and we had some refills!).

IMG_3407-2.jpg

We started with a housemade dill roll with smoked salmon and lemon cream. Paired with a Lillet rosé.

IMG_3409-2.jpg

We continued with a salmon in puff pastry, with a tartar sauce. Paired with another rosé, Berne Emotion, from Côtes de Provence area.

IMG_3413-2.jpg

The main course was a braised duck with mashed potatoes, served in “shepherd pie style” (I quote the menu). It was paired with a glass of Château Cap L'Ousteau, Grand Reserve 2015, from Haut Médoc.

The meal was completed with a cheese served with bread and compote, paired with a Château Saint-André Corbin (St. Emilion, Bordeaux). The dessert was a Valrhona Satilia dark chocolate mousse, with passion fruit ganache, hazelnut chocolate cake, passion fruit sorbet. It was served with a sparkling, Lucien Albrecht Brut, a crémant from Alsace.

That was truly a wonderful experience. The food and the wine were amazing. Furthermore, I was sat with other Disney parks fans who had genuine knowledge about WDW restaurants, so we had a lot to discuss about. It was really enjoyable. The only minor criticism is that the host had nothing to say beyond reading the menu. It would have been interesting to get more information about the wineries, the grapes, etc. This was also my first visit at Monsieur Paul, the location is very elegant. After eating so much food, I came close to fall asleep on the boat, on my way to Disney's Hollywood Studios!

At $100.24 (no discount available), I found this event to be a good value, not only by Disney standard, but also for a similar meal outside Disney, especially once we factor in the quantity of wine we drank. :drinking:

Late dinner - California Grill. I scheduled an ADR at California Grill around 9:40pm, so I had about six hours to digest the French meal. It was also a good timing to catch the Magic Kingdom Halloween party fireworks at 10:15pm.

IMG_3530-2.jpg

I began with the comforting and famous Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, paired with a glass of Michael Pozzan pinot noir (Russian River Valley, California). The server mistakenly brought the white wine I had ordered for the following course. However, he brought the glass back to a fresh location and served the pinot noir within a minute.

IMG_3533-2.jpg

After the fireworks show, I had the Spicy Kazan Roll, with the scallops and the fireball sauce hidden in the centre of the plate. Whereas I typically drink a German riesling with this plate, I saw on the wine list the Franciscan Chardonnay I had at Skipper Canteen the day before, and I selected it. Since the refurbishment of California Grill, I always have a thought for former sushi chef Yoshie Cabral, who crafted this plate (as well as other sushi listed on the menu).

Aside the meal, I was surprised to realize that two old ladies who sat at the table next to mine had two small dogs in a basket during their meal. More interesting, at the end of the evening, as the restaurant was more quiet, I realized that a server was filming, as a young man was kneeling and made a proposal to his girlfriend. That was another great meal in an outstanding location. I don't know other restaurants where guests can insert a fireworks extravaganza between two courses on a consistent basis. It is a remarkable achievement that the staff is successful to manage and to adjust their service to a such interruption! Total with tip and TIW 20% discount : $70.18.

Monday, October 22.

Luncheon - Enzo's Hideaway.
Following a long construction period, I could not wait to visit this location, once rumored to be a Walt's tunnel bar at Disney Springs. Well, the concept referring to Walt Disney has disappeared, but the one of a hidden place was kept. I was also attracted by a rare 40% discount available in Fall 2018 for annual passholder (lunch time only). As part of Disney Springs broader storyline, this prohibition-era “secret gem” is decorated with many newspapers pages about the prohibition issue, etc.

IMG_3588-2.jpg

The menu summarizes the story: “While inspecting the building prior to taking full ownership, Enzo discovered a long-hidden place below the terminal that connected abandoned sections of the next-door power plant [note: the Edison's]. To Enzo's astonishment, he came across a Prohibition-era hideaway where a team of flying rum-runners once gathered. Evidence of smuggler activity remained, untouched for decades. Enzo decided that the space might make an irresistible spot for dining and socializing to highlight the family recipes he grew up on, highlighting specialties from Rome and nearby regions.”

IMG_3571-2.jpg

My server Gianluco brought some pieces of bread with olive oil. I started with Suppli' alla Romana, which are similar to arancini. They are described on the menu as fried rice balls with peas, prosciutto di Parma, and Taleggio cheese. Then I had the “Classic Lasagna,” which was a recommandation of the server, who specified that pasta are made fresh on a daily basis. The lasagna was indeed very good, but the entree was a little heavy for a luncheon, especially with warm weather conditions outside.

Enzo's Hideaway is an interesting Italian restaurant, but it doesn't challenge Il Mulino (Swan hotel), which is my favorite Italian venue at WDW. Total with tips and annual pass 40% discount: $30.32.

Dinner - Jiko. A dinner at Jiko is typically my most anticipated meal in a WDW vacation. I had a late night reservation (9:20pm), so I could attend Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom (definitely a downgrade without the live performers). I had been served several times by Shellie at this restaurant, so I ask when I signed up at the podium. While her tables were already busy for the remaining of the evening, an arrangement was made within a couple of minutes and I was sat in her section.

An helper brought a wet towel smelling the rose, and another person served me a complimentary glass of Moroccan cold tea, which was very refreshing. I decided to make a meal with three appetizers instead of ordering an entree. I also left Shellie deciding which wine to pair with my choices. This sommelier has never disappointed me, she is very knowledgeable about Jiko extensive wine list. So she introduced me to some changes on the menu since my last visit, and she made some recommendations of appetizers.

IMG_3632-2.jpg

So I followed one of Shellie's recommendations and I began with the Mauritius poached shrimp, served with a Meyer lemon-sumac vinaigrette, rougaille sauce, pickled radish, and chile oil. I started to eat with my eyes as the plate was beautiful. And it was a fireworks of flavors in my mouth! :tongue:

(To be continued... next post)

IMG_3637-2.jpg

The second appetizer I ordered was another recommendation of Shellie : the North African-spiced scallops, served with herb chermoula and curried feta crumbles. The scallops just melted in my mouth! With these two courses, Shellie paired my food with a South African dry riesling of Groote Post (2017).

IMG_3639-2.jpg

My third course was the famous wild boar, which is now back on the menu (not online at the time of posting this message) after a short disappearance. It was paired with a glass of Tokara Director's Reserve (2013) from the Stellenbosch area. It is a blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, petit verdot, cabernet franc, and malbec. I ended my meal with an amarula creamy coffee. Total with tip and TIW 20% discount: $104.64.

That was the most expensive meal of this WDW vacation. It was worth every penny. I was accommodated as I was assigned to my favorite server despite all her tables were booked, and her service was top notched. The food was amazing, The atmosphere is quite, serene, and so relaxing. Jiko is typically ranked in the top 1% of the Orlando restaurants by Trip Advisors. That place is phenomenal.

Tuesday, October 23.

Food & Wine Festival Event - Italian Beer Vs. Wine, Via Napoli.
Back to Epcot for the 2nd F&W event I had booked a couple of months ago. That was a bold choice for me as I am not a beer fan. However, I thought it could be an opportunity to learn more about beers and to taste a good range of them. I was sat with a party of 5 people. I felt very welcome as they were engaged in the discussion. Once again, most of them are Disney regular goers and we had a lot to share about the parks and the dining locations.

IMG_3649-2.jpg

This event was more entertaining and informative than the French Family Meal Tradition. The host was joined by two wine and beer experts. The wine representative landed from Italy the day before. Four out of 5 beers were brew by Baladin, and all wines were produced by Batasiolo. My fellow eaters told me that more varieties of wines and beers were offered other days. We were asked to vote on our preferred drink after each of the 5 courses. Each place is arranged with a set of 10 small glasses.
IMG_3656-2.jpg

We began with a shrimp, green beans, frisee, and white balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_3657-2.jpg

We continued with the Pizza Margherita, a Via Napoli's signature pizza. I never ate at Via Napoli before. I always felt very skepticism with the claim that pizzas are made with water coming from a special Floridian natural source similar to the authentic one. Also, I typically don't like theme parks pizzas. That being said, I must say that this one was very good. Not sure I would pay the full price for a regular one, though.

IMG_3663-2.jpg

Then came the star of the meal. The wine representative was very excited about this course: it featured a rare white truffle from Alba, which he brought himself. This specific white truffle can be sold for as much as 5000 euros for one kilogram! The course was supposed to be made of gnocchis, but a problem occurred in the kitchen and gnocchis were substituted by bundle-shaped pasta, with light pieces of white truffle. The wine pairing this course was a Batasiolo Barbaresco, likely one of the best wines of the meal.

IMG_3667-2.jpg

Similarly to the French meal, the 4th course was made of a selection of cheeses with condiments. They were served with a Barolo red wine, the best of this experience in my opinion.

IMG_3673-2.jpg

Finally came my biggest surprise of this meal. I am not a fan of beer and I hadn't realized that a such “beer vs wine” paired a beer with a dessert. It could be obvious for many of you, but I had never thought about the opportunity to drink a beer with a dessert, and especlally not a chocolate cake. The combinaison of this Torta Caprese with the black Chocarrubica beer was absolutely wonderful!

At a total of $92.95 (no discount available), this F&W experience was also a very good value. We had refills, the food and the drinks were excellent, and we were entertained by the host and his guest representatives. As we exited the restaurant, we received a complimentary piece of cake in a small box.

Once again, I came close to fall asleep on the boat to Disney's Hollywood Studios. At the entrance, I walk through the “no bag” security check point. The guard stopped me. With so much beer and wine, I wondered whether I looked drunk! The guard was very attentive and saw the special shape of one of my pockets. “What is the box in your pocket, Sir?” That was the cake! “Are you sure this cake is not for me,” he then jokingly asked!

Dinner - Art Smith's Homecoming. Following a such meal experience, I didn't eat at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I had thought about the opportunity to take the boat again to one of Swan & Dolphin resort restaurants. Instead, I decided to take a bus to Disney Springs and to go at Art Smith's Homecoming. I arrived just after 10pm and I was invited to sit at the bar.

IMG_3691-2.jpg

I ordered the fried chicken plate, with mash potatoes. I had enough alcohol for the day, so I ordered a Coca-Cola. Homecoming's fried chicken is very good. However, with a total of $32.97 (tip included) after the TIW 20% discount, is it somewhat pricey, even by Disney standard. Fans of fried chicken should consider the Trail's End buffet at Fort Wilderness, instead, for a better value (especially whether they arrive from the Magic Kingdom where the boat service is a convenient route to reach this remote location).

Last edited:
Wednesday, October 24.

Following three days of abundant meals served with a good quantity of adult beverages, I slowed down the pace on Wednesday and Thursday. I also spent more time at the resort, Pop Century, to relax.

For the lunch, I picked a quiche with mushroom and spinach at the Pop Century food court, with a bottle of Coca-Cola. Total with TIW 20% discount : $11.66.

I went to Animal Kingdom in the late afternoon. After the sunset, I went at the Satulee Canteen, which is likely my favorite quick-service restaurant at WDW. I like the theming as much as the bowls. I mixed the chicken with rice and green onion sauce, topped with some Pandorian veggies (!). Total: $13.31 (no discount available).

Thursday, October 25.

Once again, I spent time at my resort. For lunch, I walked across the Generation bridge and went to the Art of Animation food court, “Landscape of Flavors,” where I ordered the Asian bowl, without any beverage. Total with TIW 20% discount: $8.51.

I took the bus to Epcot as I was registered for a special VIPassholder Event that night (basically, a 2-hour EMH for passholders). I had planned to take this opportunity to dine in the Boardwalk area, likely at Bluezoo, where I had a terrific meal one year ago. However, I wasn't so hungry, and I had not toured the F&W kiosks yet. So I decided to eat around the world. To be more specific, I started with a crab cake from Coastal Eats, where I also bought a bottle of water for my entire tour ($8.75). I continued with the hummus fried from Morocco ($5.50), which was likely the best plate I bought that evening. The spicy hand roll from Japan was good, but not as tasty and flavorful than I expected ($5.75). I then had the bourguignon beef in France ($6.25). I closed this progressive meal with a Belgian dessert, the excellent waffle with berries ($4.00). All in all, it was very pleasant and I didn't have to deal with long queue lines at any kiosk.

Friday, October 26.

Luncheon - Be Our Guest.
It is a routine to have a luncheon at Be Our Guest on my Magic Kingdom day, where I typically select a French onion soup, with the quinoa salad.

IMG_3816-2.jpg

I like these food items, as well as the theming of the restaurant. However, the prices are inflated at this popular table service restaurant. The price goes up each time I visit. So I decided to take advantage of WDW free water offering. I asked the cashier whether water was available for free and the drink fountains and she said “yes.” So I didn't order any beverage. Instead, I took a glass and I filled it with water. Total: $20.75 (no discount available).

In the afternoon, I had a pineapple float from Aloha Isle in Adventureland (another routine!), as well as a relaxing drink at the Boardwalk's Bellevue Lounge. This lounge is a hidden gem in the Boardwalk resort. I went before my ADR at the downstairs Flying Fish.

Dinner - Flying Fish. To bring this vacation week to a close, I decided to have the ultimate meal at the Flying Fish, before returning to Epcot for the 10pm “Illuminations.” I felt more fanatic of the Flying Fish before its refurbishment. I regret that the red snipper is no longer available, as well as the famous crab cake. However, I have to admit that the food is nonetheless excellent at this location.

IMG_3842-2.jpg

I began with the crispy oysters. This is a departure from standard oyster plates served with the shells. It was excellent and the taste was a little spicy, just delicious for me. The sauce reminded me the one used with the yellowfin tuna, which was available when the restaurant opened after its refurbish. I paired these oysters with a glass of the recommended white wine on the menu, a Benton-Lane pinot grigio (Willamette Valley, Oregon).

IMG_3844-2.jpg

I applause to the return of the char-crusted NY strip steak, served with potatoes, veggies, and an amazing sauce foyot. It is also a large piece of meat. I paired with a glass of Argentinian malbec.

The Flying Fish is an elegant location, the menu is excellent and the wine list, as well as the wine by the glass options, are extensive. Total (including tip) : $90.82 (after TIW 20% discount).

Hope that you enjoyed this review!

Last edited:
This is a fantastic review, thank you for sharing. You ate at several of the places we're considering for our next trip. I appreciate your opinions.

Thank you so much for your review. I too enjoyed the Wine vs Beer event.

Great reviews!!! I was just there recently as well and visited many of the same spots. I was so happy to see wild boar back at Jiko and had a fantastic meal at Flying Fish as well. Definitely encourage you to return to Bluezoo when you can... one of my favorites. And if you can, try California Grill for Sunday brunch... whole new experience in daylight with same service and food quality (including sushi). Skipper’s Canteen, French Family Meal and Wine vs Beer are all on my wish list for next year - all look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Wow! You have some amazing meals! I've been debating the TIW vs just the AP discount. How did you wind up deciding to go for the TIW?

Wow! You have some amazing meals! I've been debating the TIW vs just the AP discount. How did you wind up deciding to go for the TIW?

It requires to do our maths and to assess what we are going to buy. On one side of the spectrum, since TIW generally provides a discount of 20% for table service restaurants and it costs $150 for annual passholders, we may calculate that $750 is the breaking point : so you would begin to save money once you go beyond $750 of purchases. On the other side, the annual pass provides a 10% discount on many food options in WDW restaurants. So one may argue that the breaking point is rather $1500. In reality, for an annual passholder, the breaking point is somewhere between $750 and $1500. It depends to what extent you pay items which are not covered by the annual pass discount program, but are targeted by TIW. Thus, TIW covers some restaurants which are not by the annual pass program (e.g., those in the Swan & Dolphin resort). But mostly, the difference is with alcoholic beverages, which are covered by TIW (including in many WDW resorts lounges) but not with the annual pass. I order wines with most table service meals. I also had a vacation with a 2nd guest a couple of months ago, and TIW covers up to 8 or 10 people who are on the same bills.

Great reviews! I arrived for a solo weekend trip on your last day and now I am wishing I would have made it to Flying Fish. All of your meals looked amazing. I think I want to try an Italian pairing lunch next year, especially after reading your review. I did the French Family Meal traditions like you did, but the menu was different. I just got my dining report started...

Wow, just wow!!! Awesome reviews and amazing food choices. I am having some serious order envy. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you everyone for showing your appreciation. :)

And if you can, try California Grill for Sunday brunch... whole new experience in daylight with same service and food quality (including sushi).

I am sure that it is a great experience, once again with a great overview of the area! I wonder to what extent the upcoming venues at the top floors of the Coronado Springs tower and Riviera will compete with California Grill for that type of advantage.

Great report! I was contemplating a late night Jiko dinner and you’ve convinced me to book it!

That is great! Jiko is a very relaxing venue most of the time, and it is especially true in late night. The lighting and color pattern of this restaurant are absolutely serene.

I think I want to try an Italian pairing lunch next year, especially after reading your review.

Please note that I actually did the Italian Beers vs Wines event. The Italian pairing lunch is another event held in the same pavilion, but in a different venue than Via Napoli (either the restaurant or the wine bar).

I am sure that it is a great experience, once again with a great overview of the area! I wonder to what extent the upcoming venues at the top floors of the Coronado Springs tower and Riviera will compete with California Grill for that type of advantage.

Oooh. Good point. This hasn’t been on my radar but might be spectacular. Have they said when they’re expected to open?

I’d also highly recommend Capa at the Four Seasons. The rooftop bar at sunset is perfection - with fantastic cocktails and small plates.

Wonderful reviews and pictures - thanks so much for taking the time to write and post it.

We loved the "old" Flying Fish - have not yet returned since the change - but your positive experience has put it back on our list for our upcoming March trip.

Your post is saying 40% AP discount at Enzo Hideaway, is that a typo? Are they not taking TiW?

We are looking for a good pasta restaurant on our next trip, more adult oriented, would that be a good suggestion?

Your post is saying 40% AP discount at Enzo Hideaway, is that a typo? Are they not taking TiW?

We are looking for a good pasta restaurant on our next trip, more adult oriented, would that be a good suggestion?

That is not a typo. There was a 40% discount for lunch, this fall, for annual passholders at Enzo Hideaway. However, I am pretty sure this discount is over now.

I would recommend Enzo to people who look for Italian food in the Disney Springs area. However, my first recommendation for Italian is still Il Mulino at the Swan hotel, in a boat or walking distance from DHS and Epcot.

Both Enzo and Il Mulino accept TIW:
http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/archive/pl/disc_dining.pdf

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!