JUST cancellation insurance?

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
I wonder if anyone has found JUST trip cancellation insurance? We have trip interruption/travel medical through work and only want to insure our pre-paid costs. Last time I used TravelGuard (AIG) but as I look at it now, the coverage seems to be overkill as it includes all the other trip interruption coverage.

Anyone find this?

I wonder if anyone has found JUST trip cancellation insurance? We have trip interruption/travel medical through work and only want to insure our pre-paid costs. Last time I used TravelGuard (AIG) but as I look at it now, the coverage seems to be overkill as it includes all the other trip interruption coverage.

Anyone find this?

Hmm. I always bought a comprehensive insurance package, even although my work policy covered travel medical costs. You may want to check the value of your insurance through work. I found my work insurance did not give me as much coverage as I wanted. Also, the dollar value of your work insurance is in Canadian dollars, so now it is automatically worth about 30% less in US dollars.

I have it with my BMO mastercard but the trip has to be paid with the card...

I have it with my BMO mastercard but the trip has to be paid with the card...
I have to give a shout out to this coverage. One of my daughters could not travel last month due to surgery, and I had a cheque within a week of sending the receipt , proof airfare was charged to my BMO card and doctors note.

Second time putting in a claim and both times full amounts claimed were paid with no questions or issues.

I wonder how this would work for the travel vouchers. With tripcentral.ca we have to pay for the cruise upfront. Then we just mail in the vouchers to head office.

I have to give a shout out to this coverage. One of my daughters could not travel last month due to surgery, and I had a cheque within a week of sending the receipt , proof airfare was charged to my BMO card and doctors note.

Second time putting in a claim and both times full amounts claimed were paid with no questions or issues.

Great to know! This insurance is no longer available in QC but I am grandfathered in so for that reason, I refuse to upgrade my MC. Never had to use it but it's cheap to have and combined with DH's work insurance, we don't have to get any extra insurance when traveling.

Costco or CAA usually do

I think Costco just punts you to Manulife at a preferred rate. Manulife does offer trip interruption/cancellation insurance independent of travel medical, but it costs as much or more than comprehensive coverage. That's what I've seen elsewhere too. Very frustrating. In the end we usually don't bother. I know not everyone is comfortable with that, and I don't necessarily advocate it, but I consider it "self insurance". I might get burnt eventually, and that will be unpleasant, but when trip cancellation costs roughly 10% of my trip, I'd have to get very unlucky to come out behind in the long term.

Good luck OP. If you find what you're looking for, please share!

I might get burnt eventually, and that will be unpleasant, but when trip cancellation costs roughly 10% of my trip, I'd have to get very unlucky to come out behind in the long term.

Good luck OP. If you find what you're looking for, please share!

Yes, that's basically where I am right now. The non-refundable costs won't break us (disappoint, yes; break, no), and the best I could find was more like 15% of the insured value. I'll keep looking, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the risk. (Just for cancellation--I just confirmed my out of country medical insurance, which is okey-dokey. Given the way the US health system works, I'm not going there without very robust medical coverage.)

CAA offers seperate coverage. I buy Trip Interruption from them since I go to Florida during hurricane season Sept/Aug. luckily last Sept we were scheduled to leave 2 days before Irma hit. I was sure glad I had it, that was too close for comfort.
Also, for the first time I registered my trip on the govt travel site. I was surprised I recieved emails from them regarding hurricane and confirming my dates of travel. They really do pay attention to what’s happening.

CAA offers seperate coverage. I buy Trip Interruption from them since I go to Florida during hurricane season Sept/Aug. luckily last Sept we were scheduled to leave 2 days before Irma hit. I was sure glad I had it, that was too close for comfort.

Make sure of the definition of Trip Interruption. My credit card policy clearly states that Interruption is when you are already on the trip and it needs to get cut short. Cancellation is 10 days prior to leaving and you only get 50% of non-refundable costs. I'm sure policies slightly differ from each other, but I would the terms mean the same thing.

Make sure of the definition of Trip Interruption. My credit card policy clearly states that Interruption is when you are already on the trip and it needs to get cut short. Cancellation is 10 days prior to leaving and you only get 50% of non-refundable costs. I'm sure policies slightly differ from each other, but I would the terms mean the same thing.

Yes, good point. But that’s why I only wanted Interruption, in case of Hurricane and had to cut trip short, or if I couldn’t get out and had to stay longer because of airport closure, and to cover extra hotel nights, and re booking flights. I went over coverage thoroughly with agent to make sure I got the coverage I needed.
I have Travel Medical with Blue Cross, but went with BCAA for the Trip Interruption. I think because with Blue Cross I couldn’t buy seperate. So was more expensive.

Also looking for trip cancellation alone but it seems to be difficult to find. Kanetix.ca gives you a quote through multiple companies and only one came up with cancellation alone, the rest being for both interruption and cancellation. The one quote for cancellation alone came out higher than what I paid for both cancellation + interruption through CAA. Some of the quotes were insane (highest was $800).

@coastgirl, if you a) have some time, b) haven't already paid for your trip, and c) qualify, you might consider a credit card that carries trip cancellation insurance. The new Scotia no-forex card includes cancellation insurance (up to $2500 per person, $10,000 total). I'm sure there are others as well - like maybe the BMO card mentioned upthread. Annual fee on the Scotia card is $139, which is a lot lower than any other cancellation insurance coverage I've found. Plus no forex, which can be handy if you're travelling or paying for your trip in USD. And other benefits.

I might think about it the next time I'm considering booking a cruise.

@coastgirl, if you a) have some time, b) haven't already paid for your trip, and c) qualify, you might consider a credit card that carries trip cancellation insurance. The new Scotia no-forex card includes cancellation insurance (up to $2500 per person, $10,000 total). I'm sure there are others as well - like maybe the BMO card mentioned upthread. Annual fee on the Scotia card is $139, which is a lot lower than any other cancellation insurance coverage I've found. Plus no forex, which can be handy if you're travelling or paying for your trip in USD. And other benefits.

I might think about it the next time I'm considering booking a cruise.
I fully agree. I just got the card last week.

By the way, here's a little comparison of some of the major credit cards' insurance packages in case anyone is interested: https://goo.gl/aEGuDB

Oh, that's awesome, mab and efrant. I actually have that card! I got it for the no-forex but hadn't really paid attention to the insurance, as I have most of it elsewhere. I have already paid a bunch of costs through other cards, but will keep that in mind going forward, and for next time.

Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!