Just found this on my reservation on MDE

Are they doing away with magic bands? If not, why would anyone want to have to dig out their phone to open a door? But then again, I don't understand why people would rather text the person next to them when they could just talk to them. :confused3

I TOTALLY agree!:earboy2:

Anyone thinking they will need to use a better password for MDE once this goes into effect?

MBs make it quicker for people to pay and easier to lose track of what is being spent. Disney would probably be happy if MBs were the only accepted form of payment.
I wonder if Disney might be developing an app or MDE app feature that would allow offsite guests to "tap and pay" in a manner similar to Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Chase Pay. It would make it easier for Disney to separate day guests from their $$$ <cough><cough>, I mean <ahem> make it easier for day guests to make purchases. Just link a credit card to the app and charge away!

Well I used it and it works. It’s just like the magic band you have to put your phone up to the door. Would have been cooler if it worked like a smart lock so you could do it remotely or even down the hall for the kids running towards the door seeing who can make it there quicker to unlock it, lol (my kids do it quietly, they don’t run and yell). A side note, never got my room ready text, but I kept checking the app to see if my room number would show up and it did so that was nice. Apparently they send me a room ready email, super helpful since I try not to check that on vacation. Oh well at least the app was very useful for our room number.

I think it will work just fine, but I won't be using it more than once (just to say I did, LOL).

But I am not the target market for this. Can't see digging out my phone, opening an app and navigating to a button to unlock my resort room, especially if my hands are already full, LOL. But again, I am one of those you see leisurely enjoying the parks, carrying a printout of my FP+ reservations. :teeth:

I agree

I think magic bands are more practical for this purpose

I briefly had a message show about using this and then nothing again. Try to get it to pull up last night but no go so no checking it out. In my attempt to pull it up I had to stand outside my door re-sign in to my app etc. etc. When that wasn't working I just lifted my wrist to the door and opened it with my magic band. No pulling phones out no signing into my app, it was just easy.

Well, it isn't showing up on my OKW reservation for May 30...at least not yet. I can see where it might be handy. I did lock myself out once in 26 years, where I just waltzed right out of the room without my magicband and had to get someone from the front desk to open my room...so I can see it being handy in that situation. but for the most part I think the magicbands are more convenient. I'd switch my house over to these bluetooth locks, but my neighbor, who looks after my house while I'm away, refuses to get a smart phone (she's 84), so it is kind of pointless for me :( Now, If I could get a lock that works with my magicbands, I could give her a magicband :)

I new it was long shot, but I checked my AKV reservation for November and there isn't a digital unlock on the app. But then we all no that only the resorts at Wilderness Lodge should have it.

But what I am wondering about is why Kat4Disney doesn't have it for her VWL/BRV stay.

Smartphones! I guess I'm old fashioned, my kids text me-I call them. My phone is usually at the bottom of my purse - sometimes it even has a charge left in it (a lot of women's pants don't have pockets). I can't see digging out my phone (and my glasses because I need them now too) opening an app and doing whatever else is required to unlock the door.

Also my MDE app opens without entering a password-I can see all of my reservations and plans. How is this secure? What if I leave my phone somewhere? Of course that would mean it would have to have been out of my purse... I don't see how this is easier or more secure. I get that it is moving with the times, but I hope they don't eliminate the magic bands.

Also my MDE app opens without entering a password-I can see all of my reservations and plans. How is this secure? What if I leave my phone somewhere? Of course that would mean it would have to have been out of my purse... I don't see how this is easier or more secure. I get that it is moving with the times, but I hope they don't eliminate the magic bands.

I guess you don't logoff or you said yes to fingerprint access, but I think the latter only works on Smartphones.

But then again, I don't understand why people would rather text the person next to them when they could just talk to them. :confused3

People do that when they are talking about others in the vicinity. :)

A side note, never got my room ready text, but I kept checking the app to see if my room number would show up and it did so that was nice. Apparently they send me a room ready email, super helpful since I try not to check that on vacation.

During online checkin there’s a choice, email or phone. Next time enter your phone number and delete your email on that page.

During online checkin there’s a choice, email or phone. Next time enter your phone number and delete your email on that page.

I did do that when I did the online check in because I wanted to make sure they only had my cell to notify me. I just found an account information change email from my check in day that said

“This email is being sent to confirm a recent change made to your Disney account information, such as updating your password, address, phone number or other personal information.

If you did not make any changes to your account, or believe you have been sent this message in error, please review your account information or contact us immediately at (407) 939-3471. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.”

I know I didn’t make any changes that day because I was at magic kingdom with my fam. When I reviewed my account information it had my home number as the primary contact, I never put that phone number anywhere because we never use it. Needless to say I have now changed my password. I guess that’s disney IT for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about those who don’t have a smartphone? Or families with only one smartphone? And having to dig out my phone when my arms are full? Give me my MB much easier to use.

I have been at CCV since Wednesday and I have yet to get the feature to work. I can see the option but whenever I get up to my floor (7) it goes away entirely. Both wifi and cell service has been a bit spotty for us though (lots of disconnects and reconnects in a short span of time) so that might have something to do with it.

This could be useful for international guests who have to check in for magic bands and don't get a text saying which room they've got. I'm hoping this just allows us to go straight to the room via the app and pick up magic bands at our leisure? What do you think?

This could be useful for international guests who have to check in for magic bands and don't get a text saying which room they've got. I'm hoping this just allows us to go straight to the room via the app and pick up magic bands at our leisure? What do you think?

If you don't get a text, you still may not know what room you're assigned unless you stop at the front desk. I doubt the app itself would both give you a key, and show you the room number for security reasons.

Don't you still have to present your passports to check in? I've always had to show mine when traveling abroad but I'm a U.S. citizen, so I have no idea what our hotels require of foreign travelers.

I tried out the cell phone unlock feature last week. It worked fine, took a couple seconds longer than just using the MB. For a little faster access time, I suppose one could proactively get out the cell phone and bring up the app while walking to the room. In Disney, I leave the MDE app up all of the time so when I unlocked the phone, it was right there. It's always nice to have alternative ways to do things, so I guess I'm glad they offer this "feature".

If you don't get a text, you still may not know what room you're assigned unless you stop at the front desk. I doubt the app itself would both give you a key, and show you the room number for security reasons.
Mine did show me my room number and unlocked my door. I never got the room ready text but was able to get my room number by checking the app and unlock the door as well. We had our magic bands so the unlocking wasn’t that big of a help but getting the room number was. I can definitely see it being handy as @Wakey said.

Exactly! I like my phone and all, but I really hate being tied to it while I'm trying to be in the moment and enjoy a vacation.

I'm barely a step above you. I have my printout of my FP+, but I take a picture of it on my phone in case I forget it in the room!

You and me both!

I can see the use on arrival. I typically go from MCO to grocery to resort. Don't like advertising with my MB while shopping. Would prefer phone to digging band out of carry on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter