just got back today 5-17-03 - the new camper was perfect.

cyndilou01

Mouseketeer
We had a wonderful time at fort wilderness. we were in the 1000 loop, across from the meadow trading post and the pool. went to all the parks crowds were very light the longest line we had was about 10 min. at space mountain.

at at some really good resturants...

I would recommend that you go to trails end for the breakfast buffet before heading into the parks very resonable about $10 per person but you stay full just about all day. saves money in the long run.

If you have any questions ask away. I hope your tripswill be as magical as ours was....

cindy

forgot something, be careful if you camper has a slide out and an awning, we had a time trying to get a spot that would work. our camper is 28ft. so it is not really big. but it took 3 trys to get one that would work because of the way the power pole and water pole are positioned..

Welcome back! many people have been talking lately about how bad the deer flies are....did you find them to be a big problem?

well, actually we did have what we call yellow flies, but they are always bad in the month of may that is why we never camp on memorial day weekend. the one good thing is that their life span is only 30 days so by the 2nd week of june they should be gone...
I dont know what a deer fly is, but the only thing we had were yellow flies.

Thanks ...I hope you are right...deer flies, horse flies yellow flies, I think they're about the same

yeah, I went out and ask my husband and he said they are the same. and he is an outdoor person he likes reading about this sort of thing and he said that about two hours before dark is the worst, and they will not bother you after dark. we kept a fan outside of our camper and that seemed to help as well, to keep a breeze blowing on you.

Adult deer/yellow flies are encountered in Florida between the months of May and September. Most species lay eggs in the winter and they reach the pupate stage in late spring early summer. An egg mass has been found as early as May 5th and as late October 13th. Most have a year-long life cycle but some larger species may take two or three years.
Adult life span is from 30 to 60 days

I'm sure May is when you encounter the most and by June, July and August they taper off. You need not worry if you plan to be away at the 2 hours prior to sunset. Even a boat ride or bike ride will help you escape the pesky flies. The theme parks will not have them because they breed in the woods. We never see a deer/yellow fly in our backyard.

you are right there were no deer flies in the parks. They never bothered us while riding our bikes or on a golf cart, in the boat or like I said we put a fan outside the camper and sat there with the wind blowing and had very little problems.

So, Cyndilou, tell us about the camper! You said in the subject line you took the new camper, then left us wondering.... what type of camper, what did you love about it, not love about it, etc..?

well, we just upgraded to a 28' prowler with a slide out, what a difference that made in living space. we had room to move around. (our old camper was a 24' no slide). We had more storage space in our old camper. that would be the only con would be storage. However we seemed to find out when transferring the stuff from the old camper to the new there were things we really did not need. We love gadgets even though we have a trailer we do most of our cooking and eating outside. So we have to decide which gadgets were the most important... that was the hardest for my husband you know men and there gadgets.
The camper was wonderful we have a permanet table and I was not sure how that was going to work but I love it. The camper sleeps four the couch is a sleeper. (husband, daughter, granny and me) 4 adults my son and a friend came down for a night so we took a inflatable matress and put it on the floor it would very well. length of stay was may 9th- 17th.

we had a magical time...

any questions just ask away....

Thanks for your info. I was wondering about the yellow flies.
What about the parking lot situation. Are they still routing you through the drive by the little guard house? Is the larger drive still blocked off?

yes, you still have to go through the guard house to get through the gate. I guess for security reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter