Just in case . . . would appreciate recommendations!

Miffy

DIS Veteran
Hi, fellow DISers,

I haven't stayed off-site in almost 20 years, but because of the new no-DND policy at WDW resorts, I'm looking for off-site options for an upcoming trip. I guess I'm still hoping that WDW will end this policy, but if they don't I want to have a backup ready--and booked.

I have limited time to research, and I was hoping perhaps someone on this board might know offhand if there are some places that fit these qualifications. For background, it's just my DH and myself. We spend a lot of time relaxing at the resort and enjoy the resort aspect of the vacation as much as the parks.

Here goes:

(1) Near WDW--and with either good shuttle transportion or so close that Uber-ing it every day would be affordable, say $25 or lower. We won't have a car.

(2) Quiet, i.e., not paper-thin walls as some of the Values at WDW have, and shielded from highway traffic noises too.

(3) Priced ~$300/night--or less, of course. We're going March 4-11. My WDW res at SSR is a little over $2K for the 7 nights.

(4) This is totally subjective, but the resort should be pretty and have a beautiful view. At SSR we've been fortunate to always get a water view and have had lovely woods-view rooms at WL. But whatever the view is at the off-site location, I don't want to look out over a parking lot or trash-disposal area or highway. And the interior of the room should be attractive as well. It doesn't have to be the Ritz! But not Motel 6. For other vacations, Motel 6 is fine, but, as I said, at WDW we use the resort as a big part of the trip.

(5) A balcony or patio.

(6) At least a fridge in the room. A full kitchen would be awesome, but not necessary. And laundry facilities on the premises, not necessarily in the room. I always do the laundry at least once on vacation.

(7) Places to walk. Not 100% necessary, but DH and I enjoy walking around, even when we're at walk-centric WDW. One of the fun things about staying at SSR is walking to DS and over to OKW--both really nice walks through well-done landscaping.

Any thoughts? If you've stayed in a place that meets most of these points, I'd love to hear about it. And I thank all of you in advance.

Bonnet Creek has a shuttle service, views of Disney fireworks from the higher floors (upon request I believe). My dad treated us to the presidential suite one year and there is a private fireworks viewing location for guests staying on this floor.

Have you looked at the various Marriott properties, particularly their Vacation Clubs? We have stayed at Harbour Lake several times, although not in the last couple years. It was great for us. My kids (roughly 9 and 12 at the time) really liked it.

Bonnet Creek has a shuttle service, views of Disney fireworks from the higher floors (upon request I believe). My dad treated us to the presidential suite one year and there is a private fireworks viewing location for guests staying on this floor.

Is this the Hilton Bonnet Creek you're referring to? If so, I just checked their website. There's nothing available for my travel dates. But you may mean somewhere else? I'm not familiar with Bonnet Creek at all--as you can see!

OTOH, I've read that Marriotts, Hiltons and other accommodation providers are moving to a no-DND policy so be aware of that...

With that said, the Marriott Royal Palms is one great option near Wdw.

I also just checked Wyndham Bonnet Creek, which is nearly $400/night, so outside my price range.

chalee94: Sorry to hear that. And I will check out Marriott Royal Palms. Thanks.

Universal's Sapphire Falls is beautiful and was around $199 per night when we stayed in May of last year.

Everyone--I'm checking into your recommendations. So far Harbour Lake seems like a possibility, depending on Marriott's policies. And I'll check out Sapphire Falls as well. Thanks!

Sapphire Falls looks lovely, however, I'm not seeing a balcony with the room.

What about the Sheraton Vistana properties? Or one of the Disney Springs hotels?

ETA: Also, have you considered a townhouse or condo? This would open up a whole other stream of possibilities!

I've thought of all these things although I really don't want to stay in a town house or condo--I like hotel services. It's one of the reasons I like going on vacation.

I really don't want to stay off-site. I'm very happy in the WDW so-called bubble. But not with the new policy. And I cannot believe after having planned this vacation months ago I'm now thinking of changing my resort.

Just for my education "no-DND"? No Do not Disturb? No Dine and Dash? No Department of National Defence? (Canadian reference - US is DoD).

ETA: don't feel quite so dumb. Went to the list of common abbreviations on the Welcome board and they don't have that one.

Just for my education "no-DND"? No Do not Disturb? No Dine and Dash? No Department of National Defence? (Canadian reference - US is DoD).

ETA: don't feel quite so dumb. Went to the list of common abbreviations on the Welcome board...

Do not disturb - yes.

Might as well call it the Vegas protocol. There's a long thread on the onsite resorts board.

Too new for the abbreviation list...

Perhaps the Swan and Dolphin? I haven't heard if they are getting rid of the DND signs or not though...

Thanks so much, everyone. I think, for now, we're going to stick with our SSR reservation. DH is taking the wait-and-see attitude and hoping for the best. But I'm saving this thread for future reference. We'll see how it goes in March.

SO I would suggest that just about any Timeshare Resort in the area (Vistana, Marriott, Hilton) would fit your criteria. Timeshares generally don't have housekeeping unless you pay extra for it. Vistana has a mid-week tidy, but it is easily dropped. Resorts do still reserve the right to have maintenance personnel access your villa for upkeep (same as any landlord), but it is a rare thing. Also with many timeshare villas you can chain lock your front door and then exit via the back door. Housekeeping or Maintenance/Housekeeping will not generally walk around the building to the back door if the front door is chained.

I am a lot more comfortable with the protocols and privacy at timeshare villas than I am with those at hotels.

Thanks, bankr63. DH and I discussed this last night. He said we're going to go to SSR as planned and see how it goes. And that if it doesn't work out, then our next trip will be off-site. We both like the WDW bubble, especially for the transportation, but we also like using the resort as a resort and often don't want to be disturbed.

Hi, fellow DISers,

I haven't stayed off-site in almost 20 years, but because of the new no-DND policy at WDW resorts, I'm looking for off-site options for an upcoming trip. I guess I'm still hoping that WDW will end this policy, but if they don't I want to have a backup ready--and booked.

I am out of the loop, what is that policy?

I am out of the loop, what is that policy?

This is discussed to death in other threads on the board, but, very very briefly, WDW's new policy is there is no more Do Not Disturb hanger for your door. It was replaced by a Room Occupied hanger. The difference is that now, if you haven't had housekeeping for 24 hours, they will send someone to your room to check on it/you. But if you have had housekeeping--as I found out from the CM who telephoned me earlier this afternoon--then no one else will bother you.

If you turn down housekeeping, this could be a problem, but if, like me, you always get housekeeping, I think it's a nonissue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter